PDA

View Full Version : Wikileaks: 'Sicko' was banned in Cuba for misinformation

Depressed Liberator
12-18-2010, 01:48 AM
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/dec/17/wikileaks-cuba-banned-sicko

Andrew-Austin
12-18-2010, 02:00 AM
Its funny Michael Moore just helped bail out Assange (20K $), and then this comes out. Sure you want the truth to come out Michael?

dannno
12-18-2010, 02:18 AM
lol, I was expecting to get rick rolled..

Reason
12-18-2010, 02:53 AM
www. irony .com ?

noxagol
12-18-2010, 07:01 AM
Bwahahahaha

MN Patriot
12-18-2010, 07:05 AM
That's hilarious. Leftists live in a fantasy world where Marxist "democracies" are so superior to our "capitalist" country.

johnrocks
12-18-2010, 07:29 AM
That is so deliciously funny to me!

sailingaway
12-18-2010, 08:35 AM
Sorry, I posted after you. I reported mine and asked that it be deleted, but meanwhile: bump!

Hallamaat
12-18-2010, 08:36 AM
I laughed my ass off when I saw this earlier today.

crazyfacedjenkins
12-18-2010, 08:39 AM
"Castro's government apparently went on to ban the film because, the leaked cable claims, it "knows the film is a myth and does not want to risk a popular backlash by showing to Cubans facilities that are clearly not available to the vast majority of them."

-That's terrible if true. Hopefully they give up on that ridiculous totalitarian market some time soon.

libertybrewcity
12-18-2010, 08:52 AM
Great news! I knew there was something wrong with that awful documentary-turned-fiction. Hmm..I bet conservative blogs and media are looking at this thinking "I know I want to post this, I know I want to, but wikileaks is evil..hmm...maybe not."

ArmyCowboy
12-18-2010, 09:07 AM
Great news! I knew there was something wrong with that awful documentary-turned-fiction. Hmm..I bet conservative blogs and media are looking at this thinking "I know I want to post this, I know I want to, but wikileaks is evil..hmm...maybe not."

I does put them in a bit of an ethical dilemma, huh? (:

cswake
12-18-2010, 09:24 AM
I does put them in a bit of an ethical dilemma, huh? (:

Not at all, at least in the case of the liberals. Mr. Moore and his followers come to the logical conclusion, that the...

Orwellian nature of how bureaucrats for the State spin their lies and try to recreate reality (I assume to placate their bosses and tell them what they want to hear)

... was exposed. Guess you can just modify the facts to fit your perception of reality. :D

h ttp://www.democratic underground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=439x33106

Depressed Liberator
12-18-2010, 01:51 PM
Now Moore is claiming that the guy who sent the cable was lying. Haha.

pcosmar
12-18-2010, 01:59 PM
Sicko Not Banned in Cuba

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/dec/18/wikileaks-us-diplomats-story-cuba-banned-sicko-film

dannno
12-18-2010, 02:59 PM
^Hah, now their really in a dilemma!! Do they twist it to show that wikileaks contains misinformation (when it was the diplomats who were the ones spreading the misinfo, wikileaks just reported it), do they show that the Cuban healthcare system shown in the film was touted in their country? Or is Michael Moore lying about the film being nationally televised in Cuba (I kinda doubt it)?

Hmm..I bet conservative blogs and media are looking at this thinking "I know I want to post this, I know I want to, but wikileaks is evil..hmm...maybe not."

TheeJoeGlass
12-18-2010, 04:32 PM
This story was bogus. Sicko was shown on National Television in Cuba.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/dec/18/wikileaks-us-diplomats-story-cuba-banned-sicko-film

Also, http://www.michaelmoore.com/words/mike-friends-blog/viva-wikileaks

Vessol
12-18-2010, 06:39 PM
Right.

It's a right wing fascist plot!

Those diplomats purposefully lied in those documents because they KNEW that Wikileaks would get those documents and would leak them!

OMG!

Who should I believe..? A desperate Michael Moore desperately trying to save face, or the diplomatic cable that was leaked and unaltered?

Vessol
12-18-2010, 06:42 PM
Oh wait, I was wrong. It's a plot by the EVIL INSURANCE COMPANIES! They purposefully hired a diplomat to make a fake message that would then only be reveled by wikileaks.

"Moore said on his blog that the cable came in the wake of the US health insurance industry deciding to "to spend millions" to go after him and, if necessary, "push Michael Moore off a cliff".

He said the industry worked with anti-Castro Cubans in Miami in order to have them speak out and smear the film.

"So, on January 31, 2008, a state department official stationed in Havana took a made-up story and sent it back to his HQ in Washington," said Moore."

Wow..talk about BULLSHITTTTTTTTTTTT

dannno
12-18-2010, 06:54 PM
^I won't go all in, but I'll put my chips on Michael Moore.

I've read plenty of "debunkings" of his films like Fahrenheit 9/11, they're completely bogus. Michael Moore puts out some good information, though I don't agree with him on health care and I've never seen Sicko.

Golding
12-18-2010, 07:45 PM
I don't really understand Moore'd fantasy scenario here. Diplomats tried so hard to discredit him by having his movie banned, that they issued a discrediting cable as confidential info that no one was intended to see...?

nate895
12-18-2010, 10:12 PM
^I won't go all in, but I'll put my chips on Michael Moore.

I've read plenty of "debunkings" of his films like Fahrenheit 9/11, they're completely bogus. Michael Moore puts out some good information, though I don't agree with him on health care and I've never seen Sicko.

Whether or nor Fahrenheit 9/11 was good, Sicko is a documentary that glorifies state-ran health care. I know, I was forced to watch it by an agent of the state. If the only information you had on the health care issue came from Moore's documentary, you would think that state run health care is the savior of mankind. You can just waltz into a clinic and get any treatment you need and then waltz back out again. Of course, this is complete bogus.

The Cuban portion, the one specifically at issue, has Michael Moore and a bunch of people who can't get treatment at Gitmo going over to the Cubans and getting only the most wonderful treatment you can imagine. I literally rolled my eyes when my teacher told us that the documentary was anywhere near reality.

TheeJoeGlass
12-18-2010, 10:46 PM
I believe the Ins Companies tried to smear Michael Moore as any major Company would do. I also believe that the Bush Admin did not like Moore nor do Republicans. I like Moore. I understand what he believes and have seen the Anti-Moore films. I disagree with him on some things, but I agree with him on others. Michael Moore, wether you hate him or not, does a great job of covering corporate greed run amuck.

ClayTrainor
12-18-2010, 11:45 PM
I believe the Ins Companies tried to smear Michael Moore as any major Company would do. I also believe that the Bush Admin did not like Moore nor do Republicans. I like Moore. I understand what he believes and have seen the Anti-Moore films. I disagree with him on some things, but I agree with him on others. Michael Moore, wether you hate him or not, does a great job of covering corporate greed run amuck.

I generally agree. I definitely don't hate mike more, but I do have pretty mixed feelings about him. I think he's a bit dishonest in the way he makes films, but at the same time, I realize that maybe he's just a bit confused and frustrated like so many others.

It annoys me when he gets rewards for being a "documentary film maker" though. He just makes political opinion films, not documentaries. Bowling for Columbine could maaaaaybe pass for a Documentary.

ARealConservative
12-19-2010, 12:00 AM
the cables were in January 08, the movie was aired in April 08.

Sounds like bad intelligence turned into bad journalism