PDA

View Full Version : Survey Shows That Fox News Makes You Less Informed

Matt Collins
12-17-2010, 05:50 PM
"A survey of American voters by World Public Opinion shows that Fox News viewers are significantly more misinformed (http://www.alternet.org/story/149193/study_confirms_that_fox_news_makes_you_stupid) than consumers of news from other sources. One of the most interesting questions was about President Obama's birthplace. 63 percent of Fox viewers believe Obama was not born in the US (or that it is unclear). In 2003 a similar study about the Iraq war showed that Fox viewers were once again less knowledgeable on the subject than average (http://www.worldpublicopinion.org/pipa/articles/international_security_bt/102.php?nid=&id=&pnt=102&lb=brusc)."

SOURCE:
http://news.slashdot.org/story/10/12/16/1615218/Survey-Shows-That-Fox-News-Makes-You-Less-Informed?from=rss

Epic
12-17-2010, 05:53 PM
Careful with causation and correlation.

Fox News is bad at some stuff, but they also allow the Judge and Stossel on too. And Beck is decent sometimes.

Heimdallr
12-17-2010, 05:54 PM
Now try that with Fox Business viewers. :D

BamaAla
12-17-2010, 05:57 PM
I don't watch Fox News and I'm uncertain about Obama's birthplace. Oh noes!

Inkblots
12-17-2010, 06:12 PM
I don't watch Fox News and I'm uncertain about Obama's birthplace. Oh noes!

Just goes to show, there are lots of paths to willful ignorance.

Ekrub
12-17-2010, 06:26 PM
In eight of the nine questions below, Fox News placed first in the percentage of those who were misinformed (they placed second in the question on TARP). That’s a pretty high batting average for journalistic fraud. Here is a list of what Fox News viewers believe that just aint so:

•91 percent believe the stimulus legislation lost jobs
•72 percent believe the health reform law will increase the deficit
•72 percent believe the economy is getting worse
•60 percent believe climate change is not occurring
•49 percent believe income taxes have gone up
•63 percent believe the stimulus legislation did not include any tax cuts
•56 percent believe Obama initiated the GM/Chrysler bailout
•38 percent believe that most Republicans opposed TARP
•63 percent believe Obama was not born in the U.S. (or that it is unclear)

They are right on a few of those things. What a crap piece.

oyarde
12-17-2010, 06:32 PM

Yeah , looks like they are well informed on health law and climate change . So , avg fox viewer is smarter than a dem senator , vice pres and pres .

dannno
12-17-2010, 06:35 PM
Just goes to show, there are lots of paths to willful ignorance.

So YOU are the one person in Hawaii who said they saw the actual birth certificate and everything was all in order?

Talk about willful ignorance..

dannno
12-17-2010, 06:37 PM
I'm sorry Matt, but anybody who thinks it is a fact that Obama was born in Hawaii based on an electronic document is way to trusting of the establishment for me.

That said I still agree with the findings of the survey, in general, and on the Iraq war, etc..

dannno
12-17-2010, 06:38 PM

Hah, thanks for diggin in, I hadn't clicked on the link yet.. You're right, what a bunch of propaganda. There are much better way to prove that Fox News viewers are less informed than those who don't watch Fox News.

Although to be fair, climate change is occurring.. That doesn't mean it is man made.

payme_rick
12-17-2010, 06:47 PM
yah, the "birther" question rang the "bullshit" bell for me on this survey... right now it's an opinion, no network's viewers really know... the answer would be an "opinion" or "guess", based on either "not knowing the facts because no one will release the facts" or "political bias"... gunna guess 100% of that 63% guessed that way because they're typical neo-cons that hate them dems down thur and those 'publicans shit gold up thur...

payme_rick
12-17-2010, 06:52 PM
based on either "not knowing the facts because no one will release the facts"

not to chain off into the "birther" deal (for the record, my opinion is Obama was born in HI), but even if the facts were released after this long and the record showed he was born in the USA, wouldn't it still be a tad hard to believe since it's been this long? I mean, the guy's the president, couldn't he just have one made up with the snap of his fingers?

carry on...

oyarde
12-17-2010, 06:56 PM
Hah, thanks for diggin in, I hadn't clicked on the link yet.. You're right, what a bunch of propaganda. There are much better way to prove that Fox News viewers are less informed than those who don't watch Fox News.

Although to be fair, climate change is occurring.. That doesn't mean it is man made.

Correct on man made .

malkusm
12-17-2010, 07:20 PM
Careful with causation and correlation.

Fox News is bad at some stuff, but they also allow the Judge and Stossel on too. And Beck is decent sometimes.

Just saw this thread and was going to post exactly this.

There is zero evidence of anything "causing" anything else. All you can say is that Fox News viewers are, on average, less knowledgeable on current events -- not that Fox News *caused* its viewers to be so.

oyarde
12-17-2010, 07:24 PM
Just saw this thread and was going to post exactly this.

There is zero evidence of anything "causing" anything else. All you can say is that Fox News viewers are, on average, less knowledgeable on current events -- not that Fox News *caused* its viewers to be so.

I am not sure on avg if they are less knowledgeable . I doubt it ....I would surmise if you asked some Constitution questions they may do better than avg ....

DamianTV
12-17-2010, 07:25 PM
You mean Crack isn't good for you?