PDA

View Full Version : Ron Paul's statement on tax compromise legislation and his vote

sailingaway
12-17-2010, 12:17 PM
One big point being that the media statements about the amount of spending in the bill includes tax credits and he is always for allowing taxpayers to keep their own money and doesn't consider it spending to do so.

http://paul.house.gov/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1809&Itemid=60

MRoCkEd
12-17-2010, 12:27 PM
I understand Ron's reasoning, but I disagree.
See: The Fallacy of the Conservative Tax Credit (http://redstateeclectic.typepad.com/redstate_commentary/2010/11/the-fallacy-of-the-conservative-tax-credit.html)

johnrocks
12-17-2010, 12:33 PM
I too disagree with him on supporting this but I can see his reasoning.

malkusm
12-17-2010, 12:37 PM
ZOMG he sold out he's not worth supporting!@#!1 This is why politics will never work!!!1 Go off the grid and live for y9orself stop drinking flouridated water and listening to Ron Paul LAWLALOLOL

Feeding the Abscess
12-17-2010, 12:49 PM
I understand Ron's reasoning, but I disagree.
See: The Fallacy of the Conservative Tax Credit (http://redstateeclectic.typepad.com/redstate_commentary/2010/11/the-fallacy-of-the-conservative-tax-credit.html)

He'll use anything as a trojan horse to getting rid of the income tax. That's his reasoning, nothing deeper is required.

johnrocks
12-17-2010, 12:56 PM
I don't think he sold out but at the same time, we don't have to agree with him 1000% of the time to support him as much as anyone else.

sailingaway
12-17-2010, 12:59 PM
I honestly think this is an area where people can differ, particularly when the omnibus spending bill has been killed (as they had to expect) so we are looking at a short term spending bill to take us to the new congress. The new congress WILL demand spending cuts. The House will draft the bill, and will be controlled by the GOP, and you KNOW Ron will be in the forfront of demanding spending cuts.

RonPaulCult
12-17-2010, 01:02 PM
Isn't this more about his record? He has all these years in congress and he has voted for EVERY tax cut. Always. Since forever. He's going to run for President again - and he wants to be able to point to that. He doesn't want to have to say EVERY tax cut, except for one of them.

johnrocks
12-17-2010, 01:12 PM
Isn't this more about his record? He has all these years in congress and he has voted for EVERY tax cut. Always. Since forever. He's going to run for President again - and he wants to be able to point to that. He doesn't want to have to say EVERY tax cut, except for one of them.

I think that is a very good possibility.

Romulus
He has never voted to increase taxes. A 'no' vote would have done that.

LisaNY
I am thrilled he voted for this package! If it didn't go through my husband and I would have taken a huge tax hit and we are not prepared to engage in ideological battles at the expense of our finances. This made me appreciate Ron even more, which I didn't think was possible.

akforme
12-17-2010, 01:17 PM
I'm like 52/48 against. I don't like the bill more than anything and I know Ron has those same problems with it. I don't know all the details either so I trust Ron is making the best decision.

RonPaulCult
12-17-2010, 01:26 PM
Bottom line is, Ron didn't write this bill. The people who did gave America something that almost everybody is pissed off about, no matter what they believe. Ron is a tax-cut opportunist - he'll take tax cuts here and there any way he can get them.

Matt Collins
12-17-2010, 01:36 PM
ZOMG he sold out he's not worth supporting!@#!1 This is why politics will never work!!!1 Go off the grid and live for y9orself stop drinking flouridated water and listening to Ron Paul LAWLALOLOL
Come on, I know you are just kidding, but seriously no one here is saying this.

I tend to sort of disagree with Ron here, but as he said on Beck/Judge show yesterday, honest conservatives can have honest disagreements with it. From what the Judge said, even Rand has a different take on this than does Ron.

Feeding the Abscess
12-17-2010, 01:46 PM
Come on, I know you are just kidding, but seriously no one here is saying this.

I tend to sort of disagree with Ron here, but as he said on Beck/Judge show yesterday, honest conservatives can have honest disagreements with it. From what the Judge said, even Rand has a different take on this than does Ron.

Serious question time (for anyone against the bill):

Had this bill not passed, tax rates would have returned to a much higher level in comparison to what they are now. By defeating this bill, you do realize this would be the case, right? Are you in favor of that?

Republicans don't control the House or Senate, and even in January will only control the House. Take this deal now, work on it next year, and work on it further if and when we get more liberty candidates in office in 2012.

sailingaway
12-17-2010, 01:59 PM
Serious question time (for anyone against the bill):

Had this bill not passed, tax rates would have returned to a much higher level in comparison to what they are now. By defeating this bill, you do realize this would be the case, right? Are you in favor of that?

Republicans don't control the House or Senate, and even in January will only control the House. Take this deal now, work on it next year, and work on it further if and when we get more liberty candidates in office in 2012.

I think a lot of those 'disfavoring this bill' are doing so with the security of knowing it would pass so they wouldn't be the swing vote making taxes go up and making the market crash. Ron doesn't play those games.

Feeding the Abscess
12-17-2010, 02:15 PM
I think a lot of those 'disfavoring this bill' are doing so with the security of knowing it would pass so they wouldn't be the swing vote making taxes go up and making the market crash. Ron doesn't play those games.

(this isn't really aimed at you)

I get that, but it's a gutless stand. To compare it to the debt ceiling issue and Rand, there are four options:

1. Filibuster and don't allow the ceiling to be raised
2. Vote against the raise, causing it to fail
3. Vote for the ceiling to be raised, but include spending cuts in the legislation
4. Vote against the raise, knowing it will pass

The fourth option is not only spineless, but it's also entirely useless and does nothing to accomplish any of our goals. Since Ron doesn't have the filibuster option in the house, and is opposed to raising taxes, he went with option 3.

CUnknown
12-17-2010, 02:34 PM
I'm proud of Ron for voting for this. I don't agree with the bill very much at all, either, but I really appreciate Ron's approach and reasoning. People like Baenor and some of the other Republicans seem very arrogant to me regarding this bill, like they're trying to throw their weight around and show how badass they are.

Ron, on the other hand, is quietly going about his business of serving the American people the best he knows how to do, and doesn't expect accolades for it. He's a public servant in the best sense of the word. This isn't about his ego, it's about reducing taxes and government.

If it were me, I may have voted against it. But I give Ron kudos for voting for it anyway, if that makes any sense.

Matt Collins
12-17-2010, 02:42 PM
My objections to it are Constitutional in nature.