PDA

View Full Version : The Salvation Army

Cowlesy
12-17-2010, 09:44 AM
This story warms my heart...

http://www.newschannel9.com/news/santa-996807-secret-tennessee.html

And so does this one....

http://www.joplinglobe.com/local/x1666503774/-Santa-Claus-donates-100-000-to-Joplin-Salvation-Army

And this one

http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2010/12/16/anonymous-donor-gives-40k-to-local-food-bank/

Who says we need fedgov to take care of our own. It's always nice to see those with means help out those trying to help those without.

May have to keep a few silver rounds in my pocket when I go back home for shopping next week.

guitarlifter
12-17-2010, 09:47 AM
Didn't read the articles, but, if the government was actually constitutional, then maybe we'd have more money to do nice things and help others by FREE WILL.

amy31416
12-17-2010, 09:58 AM
:)

At a local men's homeless shelter, we had some anonymous donor who would send $5 every week, and upon his death, he left everything to them--which amounted to over 200k. He was one of those folks who lived like a pauper even though he had the money to live more lavishly.

Cowlesy
12-17-2010, 10:00 AM
Didn't read the articles, but, if the government was actually constitutional, then maybe we'd have more money to do nice things and help others by FREE WILL.

Well, we don't, so we just have to make do!

fisharmor
12-17-2010, 10:29 AM

The nice things help, but we should remember the best thing about the Salvation Army:
the fact that they help people with money they got by helping me get rid of the old useless shit in my house.

A free market always looks for win/win situations. Government only operates through lose/win situations.

Cowlesy
12-17-2010, 01:33 PM
The nice things help, but we should remember the best thing about the Salvation Army:
the fact that they help people with money they got by helping me get rid of the old useless shit in my house.

A free market always looks for win/win situations. Government only operates through lose/win situations.

lololol --- good point

angelatc
12-17-2010, 01:53 PM
I've told this story before.

A older gentleman I met once told me that when he was a G.I. stationed overseas, his mother got gravely ill. His C.O. granted a leave, but the G.I. did not have the cash to fly home. He asked the Red Cross for help. They told him no. (They said he didn't qualify for a loan.)

The Salvation Army bought him a ticket and told him to pay them back someday if he could.

That guy literally choked up telling that story, even though it probably happened 40 years earlier in his life. To this day, I put something in every kettle I pass.

And he ended his story by saying that he had indeed paid them back several times over.

georgiaboy
12-17-2010, 02:04 PM
bump

the local SA folks in these articles are overjoyed at receiving $5000, $40000, $100,000.

Imagine what could be done with just a small percent of the $billions taken by fedgov each year.

malkusm
12-17-2010, 02:07 PM
I've told this story before.

A older gentleman I met once told me that when he was a G.I. stationed overseas, his mother got gravely ill. His C.O. granted a leave, but the G.I. did not have the cash to fly home. He asked the Red Cross for help. They told him no. (They said he didn't qualify for a loan.)

The Salvation Army bought him a ticket and told him to pay them back someday if he could.

That guy literally choked up telling that story, even though it probably happened 40 years earlier in his life. To this day, I put something in every kettle I pass.

And he ended his story by saying that he had indeed paid them back several times over.

+rep

guitarlifter
12-17-2010, 02:40 PM
Well, we don't, so we just have to make do!

Yeah, we do just have to make do. I try my best to donate, but I usually only end up donating time rather than money (except for tithing) because that's all I can afford. Surely if I received every penny back from the government that they unconstitutionally took from me, and, if this same money wasn't devalued because of the Fed causing inflation, I'd have helluva lot more money to help out because you can only do so much with your physical body, while, with money, you can do a lot more good although both types of donations are important. The donated work is the engine, and the donated money is the fuel for it. It just frustrates me that people believe that theft (through unconstitutional taxation) is the answer for solving things, when, in the end, it just gets pissed away by the government.

angelatc
12-17-2010, 02:45 PM
Yeah, we do just have to make do. I try my best to donate, but I usually only end up donating time rather than money (except for tithing) because that's all I can afford. .

Don't sell that short! I've done volunteer work for ages, and we wouldn't need so much money if we had more volunteers. It's a beautiful relationship. People who can give money but not time - I love them! People who can give time but not money - I love them!

Cowlesy
12-17-2010, 02:48 PM
Yeah, we do just have to make do. I try my best to donate, but I usually only end up donating time rather than money (except for tithing) because that's all I can afford. Surely if I received every penny back from the government that they unconstitutionally took from me, and, if this same money wasn't devalued because of the Fed causing inflation, I'd have helluva lot more money to help out because you can only do so much with your physical body, while, with money, you can do a lot more good although both types of donations are important. The donated work is the engine, and the donated money is the fuel for it. It just frustrates me that people believe that theft (through unconstitutional taxation) is the answer for solving things, when, in the end, it just gets pissed away by the government.

Time is as or much more valuable than money. Good on you!

+rep

amy31416
12-17-2010, 04:44 PM
Holiday bump. :)

Pericles
12-17-2010, 05:03 PM
Good people doing good things.

oyarde
12-17-2010, 05:33 PM
bump

the local SA folks in these articles are overjoyed at receiving $5000, $40000, $100,000.

Imagine what could be done with just a small percent of the $billions taken by fedgov each year.

No doubt , if we had a fed govt. limited to article one section 8 spending the country would be taking home enough money for everyone to live better and still help fellow man to a greater degree .

Lucille
12-17-2010, 05:41 PM
And unlike so many other charities, the bulk of those donations will actually go to the needy!

oyarde
12-17-2010, 05:45 PM
And unlike so many other charities, the bulk of those donations will actually go to the needy!

Yes . I give a dollar to my church , they give someone the whole dollar . The govt steals a dollar from me to give to others , they get twenty cents . The other Eighty cents pays for the govt employee and govt building .

Vessol
12-17-2010, 06:54 PM
The Salvation Army is one of my favorite charities out there.

It may seem silly, but one of the biggest reasons I love them is because of the charity of one of their employees. It was years ago back when I first moved to NC and was quite poor. When I was not at school I tried to do all sorts of odd jobs to earn money. One job I had was holding a sign up on a highway for a local car dealership. It was a pretty cold day for NC, the humidity really gets to you sometime.

I was bundled up as best as I could, but still shivering. Anyways while I was standing there, a man in a Salvation Army jacket who was the driver of their truck, went into the local gas station and came up to me and gave me a cup of coffee. Told me that I looked cold and it might help, I thanked him profusely. Since then, I always make sure to empty my entire wallet of change whenever I see their collectors outside of work, and I have given many old clothes and furniture to their stores.

Private, voluntary charity is 10 times better, more efficient, and morally superior to gunpoint government "charity"

Edit: This topic made me think about it, think imma call the Salvation Army monday and see if they need any volunteers. As I'm out of class till next semester, I have quite a bit of free time.

amy31416
12-17-2010, 07:13 PM
The Salvation Army is one of my favorite charities out there.

It may seem silly, but one of the biggest reasons I love them is because of the charity of one of their employees. It was years ago back when I first moved to NC and was quite poor. When I was not at school I tried to do all sorts of odd jobs to earn money. One job I had was holding a sign up on a highway for a local car dealership. It was a pretty cold day for NC, the humidity really gets to you sometime.

I was bundled up as best as I could, but still shivering. Anyways while I was standing there, a man in a Salvation Army jacket who was the driver of their truck, went into the local gas station and came up to me and gave me a cup of coffee. Told me that I looked cold and it might help, I thanked him profusely. Since then, I always make sure to empty my entire wallet of change whenever I see their collectors outside of work, and I have given many old clothes and furniture to their stores.

Private, voluntary charity is 10 times better, more efficient, and morally superior to gunpoint government "charity"

Edit: This topic made me think about it, think imma call the Salvation Army monday and see if they need any volunteers. As I'm out of class till next semester, I have quite a bit of free time.

+rep