PDA

View Full Version : Justin Amash announces committee assignments!

malkusm
12-16-2010, 09:02 PM
From Facebook:

"I am honored to have been selected to serve on the U.S. House Committee on the Budget, chaired by Paul Ryan, and the U.S. House Committee on Government Reform, chaired by Darrell Issa. I will fight for a more limited, more accountable federal government that respects and preserves our children's and grandchildren's future."

biles1234
12-16-2010, 09:05 PM
This is beyond awesome. It's also great for the cause of liberty in general to have a freshman congressman sit on two very influential committees.

Congrats, Justin.

TCE
12-16-2010, 09:10 PM
The Budget committee is great. Sure, virtually none of his proposals will be accepted, but at least they will be where they need to be, in the committee in charge of the budget. Perhaps he can slip in some good cuts in committee.

The oversight committee is basically worthless. Seriously, if you watch C-Span, they just ask all of these government officials to come testify and they never give them anything concrete. They are always asked to to testify after whatever catastrophe has happened and they point out the obvious.

malkusm
12-16-2010, 09:12 PM
I can't wait to see YouTube vids of Justin Amash grilling (insert statist here) over (insert unconstitutional program here). Now we'll have twice the amount of material to watch! :eek:

Michigan11
12-17-2010, 04:02 AM
I can't wait to see YouTube vids of Justin Amash grilling (insert statist here) over (insert unconstitutional program here). Now we'll have twice the amount of material to watch! :eek:

As Biles1234 said.. Congrats to Justin!

Yeah I can't wait either to start seeing Amash in action, should bring alot more people into the fold of liberty in due time. His district will be well informed of his votes as usual, serving as a tool to educate many more....

Look what else he posted on his facebook, when asked if he would continue posting votes..

Justin Amash Before his election to Congress in November, Republican Justin Amash brought his laptop with him to the Michigan State House, where he was a legislator, to post how he voted on each bill. He plans on posting his votes once he is sworn in to the U.S. House of Representatives.

"Yeah, absolutely. Some modifications with Ho...use rules and schedule, but I will make the effort," Amash said, when asked if he will continue.

Hell Yeah!!!

Michigan11
12-17-2010, 04:17 AM
and to go along with my post above... when asked on his facebook page, what he meant by "...making the effort"

his response:

Justin Amash David L., members of the U.S. House are currently prohibited from using computers on the House floor. The point is that I will make every effort to post my votes in real time, but I am bound by the rules of the House. Some modifications (to my process or the rules) will probably be necessary.

Since the rules will be different on the US house floor... this is going to be interesting. He has over 15,000 facebook fans now too and growing. Very nice.

Edit: Does anyone know why the house doesn't allow computers on the floor? or while voting? Why was this rule put into effect?

angelatc
12-21-2010, 07:01 PM
Edit: Does anyone know why the house doesn't allow computers on the floor? or while voting? Why was this rule put into effect?

I don't know but part of it might be to keep the legislators from playing WoW while they're supposed to be working.

I'm not surprised. I've said all along that the House rules are very very different. They can't use computers....but I think they can use phones - haven't we seen people tweeting from the floor?

ETA - yes, but maybe not during a session. During a speech, for sure though. I'm probably wrong about the phones. Probably all electronic devices banned.

Edited again! Looks like phones are allowed. Rep Loretta Sanchez admits to having tweeted from the floor - which is allowed.
Sanchez is the only lawmaker who owned up to tweeting from the House floor, a practice which is controversial but allowed. While handheld phones were prohibited on the floor until 2008, they are now permitted and will be for the foreseeable future, said Kyle Anderson, a spokesman for the House Administration Committee.

hhttp://garymiller.house.gov/News/DocumentSingle.aspx?DocumentID=203407

Amash plus a smart phone - problem solved.

RileyE104
12-23-2010, 05:37 PM
Will Amash get to be on Ron's new committee??