PDA

View Full Version : Earmarks are a distraction

tangent4ronpaul
12-16-2010, 09:00 AM
The amount of money is minor, they return money to the communities they were stolen from and the money gets spent anyway as it just goes back into the department or agencies budget. It's not like they are allocating new spending.

Now if killing an earmark sent the funds back to pay off the national Debt....

Also, no one is talking about the Food Safety bill that is supposed to be rolled up in this thing.

-t

speciallyblend
12-16-2010, 10:24 AM
earmarks are an issue the gop establishment will get behind to kill Ron Paul 2012 and elect obama and this bill will help monsanto gain corporate/gov control over our food supply! business as usual for the corrupt gop!! The republican establishment talking points on ron paul in 2008 were about earmarks! This is nothing more the then gop biggov establishment paving the road!!

Slutter McGee
12-16-2010, 10:43 AM
Earmarks are symbolic with the potential to become a distraction. Symbolism can be a good thing.

Slutter McGee

speciallyblend
12-16-2010, 10:55 AM
Earmarks are symbolic with the potential to become a distraction. Symbolism can be a good thing.

Slutter McGee

they(corrupt biggovgop establishment) are gonna slam Ron Paul in 2012 on this . It was the main talking point from the cogop establishment back in 2008 when slamming Ron Paul! They are making a game plan so they have leverage to destroy Ron Paul! Just one of many talking points they will build on to bring down Ron Paul no matter what the the specifics on the earmark issues are!!

Acala
12-16-2010, 12:18 PM
So we better get good at explaining it. One thing you can ALWAYS say is: "Ron Paul is known as Dr. No because for decades he has voted against EVERY increase in taxation, EVERY increase in spending, EVERY increase in borrowing, EVERY expansion of the size, scope, or cost of government. He refused participation in the Congressional retirement plan because he thought it was too lavish. He returns part of his own office budget to the trasury every year. He is the most fiscally responsible man in Congress. Yet, he support earmarks. Don't you think he has a reason? Want to know what it is?"

Unfortunately, most people have a three-second attention span.

RonPaulFanInGA
12-16-2010, 03:20 PM
Sigh. They may be a "distraction" but they're certainly a useful tool for the neocons to paint Ron Paul as a fake fiscal conservative:

h XXp://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/2643529/posts

emazur
12-16-2010, 03:29 PM
I invented a talking point for Ron - is there anything wrong with it?
"if you want to get rid of earmarks, you need to get rid of the income tax which is exactly what I've been advocating since I first became a Congressman in 1976"

robert9712000
12-16-2010, 10:52 PM
So if i understand right, a earmark is only a redirecting of money that has already been committed too in the bill and without it the money would still be spent?

The thing i have issue with on earmarks is .if there gonna put forth a bill too keep the current bush tax rate and extend unemployment isnt it dishonest to try to slide other provisions in that have absolutely nothing at all to do with what the bill was created for.If they want other provisions they need to create a separate bill and vote on that as a separate vote instead of trying to sneak it in.To me its a dishonest move and i wish Ron Paul would figure out a different way try to get the peoples money back in there pockets instead of using a method that can easily be viewed as dishonest

libertybrewcity
12-17-2010, 01:29 AM
earmarks are put on bills so they can get people to vote for them. this isn't a distraction media conspiracy.

Madly_Sane
12-17-2010, 11:35 AM
http://urbanflyventures.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/Its-A-Conspiracy.jpg

TheDriver
12-17-2010, 11:52 AM
A few points of concern for me:

1. If we can't cut wasteful pork-barrel spending, we can't be serious about balancing-the-budget.

2. Most earmarks are not constitutional.

3. Earmarks are used as bribes to win votes on bills. Members of Congress have no control to what bill their earmark will be attached to, so, often, they're used to make sure a certain member votes a certain way. If a member is not acting right, his earmarks are removed from the bill.

4. Many earmarks are used to repay big donors and special interests related to each member of Congress.

5. Over 50% (some estimates are as high as 80%) of all earmarks benefit only a select few members of Congress on the Appropriations Committee.