PDA

View Full Version : New Story - Greenwald pre-story tease about torture of Bradley Manning

ApathyCuredRP
12-14-2010, 10:58 PM
Generally a libertarian minded and respectable journalist... Glen Greenwald just posted on twitter that he has a major story brewing that Bradley Manning (private who leaked the documents to wikileaks) is being tortured.

Has anyone heard anything else? Obviously, twitter update can't be taken too seriously at this time, but well sadly, I wouldnt doubt the allegation.

http://twitter.com/ggreenwald/status/14668417931935745

Inkblots
12-14-2010, 11:19 PM
Unbelievable. They're doing it to citizens now. Brick by brick, we're letting them build a police state.

Glenn Greenwald's blog at Salon is indispensable. He's the one of the most principled leftists I've ever seen and a true civil libertarian. Unfortunately, month by month the revelations and news stories he highlights become darker and darker. It's dashed depressing, is what it is.

Agorism
12-14-2010, 11:31 PM
16 hours ago. must not be that breaking

cswake
12-14-2010, 11:57 PM
... this is sounding bad ... sounds like the US military is trying to extract info. Take a look at his other tweets... 6 to 9 hours ago:

http://twitter.com/ggreenwald/

Coming shortly - waiting for a couple more comments.

@Semishark I said it's coming soon. It was a preview. And it is: very soon. I have the clear basis for saying it, as you will see.

@Semishark Because I wanted the Marine jailers to know it's known, they're being watched, and a story is coming - to pressure them to stop

@Semishark I have the evidence - all I need - just waiting for a couple comments from people who should comment before it's written.

@Semishark You're wrong about the impact of the tweet - it caused phone calls to them - if you want to say it'd be better to wait, that's...

@TheNarratives First thing in the morning

ApathyCuredRP
12-15-2010, 12:03 AM
Wow, so it appears to have true merit. Our government sickens me. When will people wake up.

ApathyCuredRP
12-15-2010, 12:14 AM
Just did some further reading. Looks like tomorrow morning will be the update. I am off to bed, will check in on the news when I wake.

ApathyCuredRP
12-15-2010, 08:03 AM
bump... here is the article

http://www.salon.com/news/opinion/glenn_greenwald/2010/12/14/manning/index.html

Also looks like sweden has appealed the assange bail.

RM918
12-15-2010, 09:02 AM
You're not going to get any frothing fair-weather patriots to agree that that is torture, unfortunately.

specsaregood
12-15-2010, 09:10 AM
Just to be clear, this is hardly a story about the "torture of Manning". He isn't being treated any differently than hundreds/thousands of other prisoners in the US everyday. He hasn't been singled out for any special physical or mental abuse.

The story is rather an indictment on the use of solitary confinement and the argument that it is torture.

cswake
12-15-2010, 09:20 AM
I agree, Glenn's tweets made it sound as if he had been singled out for enhanced interrogation...

RM918
12-15-2010, 09:32 AM
I do think it's wrong that he committed a non-violent crime and has been in these conditions for months without a trial and was thrown in maximum security even though he's been a model prisoner. There's obviously bias here.

specsaregood
12-15-2010, 09:36 AM
I do think it's wrong that he committed a non-violent crime and has been in these conditions for months without a trial and was thrown in maximum security even though he's been a model prisoner. There's obviously bias here.

You think it is odd that a person accused of leaking classified/sensitive materials is in solitary confinement? It makes perfect sense......Im not saying I support it, but it makes sense.

Bruce
12-15-2010, 09:44 AM
You think it is odd that a person accused of leaking classified/sensitive materials is in solitary confinement? It makes perfect sense......Im not saying I support it, but it makes sense.

You haven't given any argumentation as to why it makes sense to keep such a person (accused, not convicted) in 23 hour solitary confinement.

It seems that Manning is still allowed "controlled, periodic visitation from people on an approved list". So, it certainly, can't be to make sure he doesn't "leak" any more information. Which means the only (remotely) logical reason for doing so is extrajudicial punishment, and that is exactly what Greenwald is objecting to.

The fact that this is business as usual doesn't make it any less shocking and damning.

EDIT: I guess it does make perfect sense (if you were referring to it being done for punishment and making an example out of Manning)

specsaregood
12-15-2010, 09:50 AM
You haven't given any argumentation as to why it makes sense to keep such a person (accused, not convicted) in 23 hour solitary confinement.

I thought that was fairly obvious.

It seems that Manning is still allowed "controlled, periodic visitation from people on an approved list". So, it certainly, can't be to make sure he doesn't "leak" any more information.

You don't think those visitations and conversations are monitored and recorded? If he does "leak" they will be able to identify it.

The fact that this is business as usual doesn't make it any less shocking and damning.

I'm not arguing in favor of it, just saying it isn't unusual.

ApathyCuredRP
12-15-2010, 10:01 AM
I agree with most of you that the actions are not as bad as the phsyical torture side of things. Your average person would think nothing of the solitary confinement, and think it is a normal procedure. I am more concerned about the secrecy of it and the lack of due process. I am sure the fact that laws "do not apply to the military" has something to do with it. They have their own set of laws.

He is a hero in my eyes.

Brian4Liberty
12-15-2010, 01:19 PM
Hmmm. His crime is similar to the Scooter Libby case. Same treatment and punishment?