PDA

View Full Version : Get Your Bushmaster While You Can

Pericles
12-14-2010, 09:29 AM
Factory in Maine to be closed by Freedom Group.

http://www.pressherald.com/news/bushmaster-closing-windham-plant_2010-12-11.html

No word if production to be moved elsewhere or brand to disappear.

FWIW, this is the minimum quality AR to buy.

ctiger2
12-14-2010, 09:57 AM
Maybe this is how the elite will try to rid this country of guns. Private equity firms come along and buy up gun manufacturers, then close down production. Basically running them all out of the country. Sneaky bastards.

Cowlesy
12-14-2010, 10:15 AM
Cerberus's thesis is that the small-arms market is fragmented, so this is likely consolidating production facilities. National Security would dictate that the vast majority of the manufacturing stay in the domestic market.

Madly_Sane
12-14-2010, 10:24 AM
You're all paranoid :eek: :p

Pericles
12-14-2010, 11:00 AM
Cerberus's thesis is that the small-arms market is fragmented, so this is likely consolidating production facilities. National Security would dictate that the vast majority of the manufacturing stay in the domestic market.

More consolidated = more valuable terrorist target.

Uriel999
12-15-2010, 09:40 PM
Factory in Maine to be closed by Freedom Group.

http://www.pressherald.com/news/bushmaster-closing-windham-plant_2010-12-11.html

No word if production to be moved elsewhere or brand to disappear.

FWIW, this is the minimum quality AR to buy.

Ehhh, I'd still skip Bushmaster in favor of all the other brands that are completely mil-spec (with the exception of being semi automatic of course) and around the same price tag. However, Bushmaster has been around a long time and it is unfortunate to see them close down a manufacturing facility. I am sure the name isn't going away though as Remington, DPMS and Bushmaster being owned by the same company all produce AR15s.

Cowlesy
12-15-2010, 09:50 PM
I've heard the plant is moving to Kentucky.

Also, I've heard that Thompson Center in NH is shutting down. :(

Anti Federalist
12-15-2010, 09:58 PM
I've heard the plant is moving to Kentucky.

Also, I've heard that Thompson Center in NH is shutting down. :(

Yup, right down the road from me.

Fuckers.

If you work for privately held company that gets sold to or goes public, expect to lose your position.

Smith & Wesson acquired Rochester, NH-based Thompson/Center Arms, Inc., a privately held, New Hampshire-based designer, manufacturer and marketer of hunting firearms, for $102 million in cash in 2006.

http://www.fosters.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20101209/GJNEWS_01/712099667

Anti Federalist
12-15-2010, 10:00 PM

http://www.conspiracyplanet.com/images/cerberus.jpg

Pericles
12-16-2010, 11:57 AM
Ehhh, I'd still skip Bushmaster in favor of all the other brands that are completely mil-spec (with the exception of being semi automatic of course) and around the same price tag. However, Bushmaster has been around a long time and it is unfortunate to see them close down a manufacturing facility. I am sure the name isn't going away though as Remington, DPMS and Bushmaster being owned by the same company all produce AR15s.

Earlier this year, Bushmaster started to use DMPS internal parts. What quality they had, has already slid downhill.

Uriel999
12-16-2010, 12:48 PM
Earlier this year, Bushmaster started to use DMPS internal parts. What quality they had, has already slid downhill.

Man that is just getting really bottom of the barral. They should have started using Bushmaster internals in DPMS guns at the least.

I have gotten to the point where I will only entertain the thought of buying from LMT, BCM, G&R Tactical, and Daniel Defense for a lower parts kit. In all of my guns I only have 1 DPMS part and that is a rifle buffer. It was all my local gun shop had at the time. I think I may be the only person in my town who actually builds AR15s, but if I am not, I am certainly the most picky buyer when it comes to selecting parts.

devil21
12-19-2010, 04:06 PM
Maybe this is how the elite will try to rid this country of guns. Private equity firms come along and buy up gun manufacturers, then close down production. Basically running them all out of the country. Sneaky bastards.

Im way ahead of ya! I posted a thread about Cerberus taking over a bunch of gun and ammo makers and that I thought the eventual result would be the slow closing of factories. Of course, I can't actually find that thread using the search function (grr) but I swear it's here somewhere.

Here we go: http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?218130-Cerberus-Capital-(of-GMAC-amp-Chrysler-bailout-fame)-is-buying-up-gun-and-ammo-makers

Uriel999
12-20-2010, 03:03 AM
Im way ahead of ya! I posted a thread about Cerberus taking over a bunch of gun and ammo makers and that I thought the eventual result would be the slow closing of factories. Of course, I can't actually find that thread using the search function (grr) but I swear it's here somewhere.

Here we go: http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?218130-Cerberus-Capital-(of-GMAC-amp-Chrysler-bailout-fame)-is-buying-up-gun-and-ammo-makers

Or perhaps they are just consolidating? I mean they have 3 brands producing the same designed firearm. It is probably more efficient to make them in one factory and just make different lowers for the brands. And seriously if Bushmaster, Remington and DPMS stopped making AR15s tomorrow there are a ton of smaller shops making AR15s that will just end up making more money.

devil21
12-20-2010, 05:57 AM
Or perhaps they are just consolidating? I mean they have 3 brands producing the same designed firearm. It is probably more efficient to make them in one factory and just make different lowers for the brands. And seriously if Bushmaster, Remington and DPMS stopped making AR15s tomorrow there are a ton of smaller shops making AR15s that will just end up making more money.

Perhaps? Or perhaps not. Consolidation in the area of civilian weaponry is NOT a good thing. Consolidation means easier targets that make larger impacts if affected. Only time will tell what happens but closing factories and claiming to move operations elsewhere....well, I guess you'll just have to trust Cerberus. They're such a fine company after all.

AFPVet
01-01-2011, 03:28 PM
That does actually make a lot of sense... the elites could use horizontal and vertical integration in order to take control over firearms and components.

rmodel65
01-02-2011, 02:08 PM
i guess we need some manufacturers who will not sell out and control then entire means of production for every part of their arms

Pericles
01-02-2011, 03:16 PM
i guess we need some manufacturers who will not sell out and control then entire means of production for every part of their arms

As long as you can get the license from the BATFE. This is where the rubber will meet the road on state firearms freedom acts.

devil21
01-02-2011, 03:57 PM
That does actually make a lot of sense... the elites could use horizontal and vertical integration in order to take control over firearms and components.

Exactly. And if shit pops off and people start shooting, these companies will be the first to be shuttered since they supply the majority of affordable, pre-made ARs and parts and Cerberus leadership is ex-government hacks. This isn't a coincidence and it's not just a business decision.

Uriel999
01-02-2011, 05:19 PM
Exactly. And if shit pops off and people start shooting, these companies will be the first to be shuttered since they supply the majority of affordable, pre-made ARs and parts and Cerberus leadership is ex-government hacks. This isn't a coincidence and it's not just a business decision.

Meh all that would do is get the crappy AR15s off the market anyways. And yah know what...really when it comes down to it, AR15s, ak47s, FALs, etc, are all overrated anyways. I would be willing to bet you take a good ol boy redneck with his inherited .30-06 that he has been hunting with as a boy can bring you plenty of actual military hardware in some absolute end of the world as we know it scenario. Hell I'd take half a dozen boy scouts armed with .22s over 30 mall ninjas with fully decked out AR15s who only shoot twice a year.

Truly it is not the weapon but the operator that is most important.

AFPVet
01-03-2011, 02:17 PM
I would be willing to bet you take a good ol boy redneck with his inherited .30-06 that he has been hunting with as a boy can bring you plenty of actual military hardware in some absolute end of the world as we know it scenario. Hell I'd take half a dozen boy scouts armed with .22s over 30 mall ninjas with fully decked out AR15s who only shoot twice a year.

Truly it is not the weapon but the operator that is most important.

True... but consider those same experienced individuals being armed with AR's and AK's :) You are right though... it's about the person not the weapon; but the person and the weapon is better yet!