PDA

View Full Version : Britain - 44 percent think Assange charges trumped up, 13 percent disagree.

Anti Federalist
12-13-2010, 08:59 PM
Poll: Almost half of Britons feel WikiLeaks sex charges are "excuse"

By Michael Martinez, CNNDecember 14, 2010

http://edition.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/europe/12/13/uk.poll.wikileaks/?hpt=Sbin

(CNN) -- Almost half of Britons believe that the sex charges against WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange are "an excuse" to keep him in custody so that the U.S. government can prosecute him for releasing secret diplomatic cables, a new CNN poll shows.

The CNN poll of British opinion, released Monday on the eve of Assange's bail hearing in London, finds that 44% of respondents in Great Britain believe that Sweden's sex charges are just a pretext, while only 13% flatly disagree. The remaining 43% say they don't know.

Assange, 39, the Australian founder of WikiLeaks, is fighting extradition to Sweden, where he is wanted for questioning about allegations of sexual assault.

nobody's_hero
12-13-2010, 11:05 PM
Figure I should know by now, but it's as good a time as any to ask what a "cable" is?

Stary Hickory
12-13-2010, 11:10 PM
Oh I am sure they are happy to have Assange locked up...even for a most asinine reason as condom breakage. However I don't think for a second Assange will be brought back to the states. Politically it's not tenable to do. Which is good for Assange.

Anyways Wikileaks continues even without Assange, and after all the publicity Assange has gotten there will be a plethora of people wanting to fill his shoes or imitate him. If the US government knows whats best it would ignore Assange as much as possible. Freaking out about it and trying to do something devious is counterproductive.

Anti Federalist
12-13-2010, 11:19 PM
Figure I should know by now, but it's as good a time as any to ask what a "cable" is?

Old timey email aka a telegram.

tangent4ronpaul
12-14-2010, 07:12 AM

An e-mail using a very specific format of extended headers and very specific and uniform keywords and abbreviations as well as non-traditional formatting, for example LASTNAME, Firstname to make very clear that a person is being talked about and not a place, (U) or (S), etc, to spell out the classification level of the following paragraph, and other formatting to establish the credibility of the information or if the spelling of a word is in question or that the word might be incorrect, etc.

-t