PDA

View Full Version : San Antonio councilman wants panhandling to end

Kords21
12-13-2010, 06:18 PM
Heard about this on my drive home this morning:

http://www.kens5.com/news/local/Councilman-wants-tougher-measures-to-end-panhandling--111646384.html

One of the proposed solutions to this is to take whatever money a "panhandler" has on them at that time. How is that not just outright theft by the gov't?

I agree that these panhandlers can be a bit of an eyesore and a little annoying, but if they want to spend their time hanging out on street corners and if people want to give to them of their own choice, then it should end there.

The other thing is how do you differentiate what they might have collected vs what money they might have made by either selling cans or giving blood or through some other means?

Travlyr
12-13-2010, 06:21 PM
Full employment solves this problem. Ron Paul talks about how The Gold Standard promotes full employment. Here (http://mises.org/media/1203).

QueenB4Liberty
12-13-2010, 06:23 PM
That's so odd. I don't like panhandlers, but I don't support the government taking their money either. It is going to be hard to differentiate between where the money comes from as well.

awake
12-13-2010, 06:25 PM
Privatize the streets and let the owners decide.. maybe charge them a fee. Or, you can do it the old fashion way, pass a law, steal his money and call it something else.

oyarde
12-13-2010, 07:02 PM
Many cities have ordinances regarding this , but I have never heard of confiscation.

Kords21
12-13-2010, 07:06 PM
Having ordinances/laws against it is something I understand. The whole taking thier money thing is what I have a problem with. The councilman advocating confiscation was on the WOAI saying that the money collected would go to local police as opposed to these panhandlers buying alchol and drugs. What people do with their money is their business in my opinion. I also think that cops should have better things to do than shaking down people on the street.

Humanae Libertas
12-13-2010, 07:08 PM
Why should it be illegal for me or anyone else to give OUR own money to other people? The government, as usual, looking for more ways to steal peoples' money - what better way than taking it from homeless people.

oyarde
12-13-2010, 07:12 PM
Having ordinances/laws against it is something I understand. The whole taking thier money thing is what I have a problem with. The councilman advocating confiscation was on the WOAI saying that the money collected would go to local police as opposed to these panhandlers buying alchol and drugs. What people do with their money is their business in my opinion. I also think that cops should have better things to do than shaking down people on the street.

Yes , I find the confiscation disturbing , much different than someone telling to move along on public property .

Kords21
12-13-2010, 07:18 PM
I think what the confiscation boils down to is that the city is upset that it's not getting it's cut as far as taxes go. The whole idea of the gov't knows better than you do what to do with your money has really taken root at all levels of gov't. The councilman's spinning the arguement in favor of this has "they spend it on booze and drugs" is just nonsense. However they got it, short of robbing a bank/store, it's their money to do with as they please. I see it as more control and social engineering.

oyarde
12-13-2010, 07:22 PM
If they spend it own booze , the govt will get a higher rate of taxes than if the cops take it and spend it on equipment .