PDA

View Full Version : Michael Ware of CNN Post Traumatic Stress Victim

sratiug
12-13-2010, 03:56 PM
I know this is old, but I hadn't seen it before...
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/04/28/michael-ware-on-leave-fro_n_555384.html

Foreign correspondent Michael Ware, the face of CNN's coverage of Iraq, is on leave from the network.

The network says that Ware, who has been conspicuously absent from CNN, is on leave to write a book.

"Michael is currently on a leave of absence writing a book," a CNN spokesperson told the Huffington Post. "We don't discuss individual contracts."

AllThingsCNN, a blog covering the network, speculates that Ware will not be returning to CNN ever after the network denied his request for more time off to write his book and deal with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder.

Ware was the subject of a haunting, must-read Men's Journal profile in December 2008 that brought readers into his tortured world. Titled "CNN's Prisoner of War," the story by Greg Veis quoted Ware as saying of his return from Iraq, "I am not the same fucking person. I am not the same person. I don't know how to come home."
All Things CNN blogger Cyn writes that CNN has let Ware down:

And exactly how does a news organization justify (to themselves, even!) not giving their war correspondents whatever they need in order to deal with their wounds, whether they are visible ones or not?

Should he be working for us? He was one of the best Iraq war correspondents imo.