PDA

View Full Version : Committee Assignment?

libertybrewcity
12-13-2010, 03:41 PM
Any word on what committees Justin Amash will be on, if any? thanks

malkusm
12-13-2010, 03:52 PM
Good question! You know, I'll go ask on his Facebook page. He usually responds pretty quickly. :)

libertybrewcity
12-13-2010, 05:16 PM
Good question! You know, I'll go ask on his Facebook page. He usually responds pretty quickly. :)

cool man, let us know what he says!

enrique
12-14-2010, 09:56 PM
All we know for now is that he will not be on ways and means, financial services, or energy. Michigan has a GOP congressman on each of those (financial services got new elect Huizenga from CD 2) so he will not be on those.

Those are the A list committees. There is still Budget and also Appropriations that are possibilities. Unfortunately, we won't see any grilling of Bernanke by Amash. I suspect that was planned by the GOP leadership. They can handle one Ron Paul rattling the cages, but not other voices as well.

malkusm
12-14-2010, 10:03 PM
All we know for now is that he will not be on ways and means, financial services, or energy. Michigan has a GOP congressman on each of those (financial services got new elect Huizenga from CD 2) so he will not be on those.

Those are the A list committees. There is still Budget and also Appropriations that are possibilities. Unfortunately, we won't see any grilling of Bernanke by Amash. I suspect that was planned by the GOP leadership. They can handle one Ron Paul rattling the cages, but not other voices as well.

Thanks for the response! I posted on Justin's facebook wall, and his brother (I believe?) said that there was really no word yet.

Budget and Appropriations would be good, yes?

enrique
12-15-2010, 08:22 AM
Those are different committees. I suspect appropriations would not be a great committee. You cut 20% and people get mad you cut only 20 instead of 40% or 10% instead of 20%. It wouldn't be fun and a difficult place to get a liberty message out. Budget might be nice since so much legislation has to go through it eventually (like health care, etc.). We'll see what happens.

libertybrewcity
12-16-2010, 09:03 PM
Financial services would have been excellent. Maybe in 2012! Any committee would be great though.

Imperial
12-16-2010, 09:04 PM
From Amash's Facebook ten minutes ago:

I am honored to have been selected to serve on the U.S. House Committee on the Budget, chaired by Paul Ryan, and the U.S. House Committee on Government Reform, chaired by Darrell Issa. I will fight for a more limited, more accountable federal government that respects and preserves our children's and grandchildren's future.

EDIT: sorry malkusm, didn't see your thread.

malkusm
12-16-2010, 09:06 PM
From Amash's Facebook ten minutes ago:

I think I beat you to it with my thread, but I won't hold it against you. :p