PDA

View Full Version : "Praising Ron Paul as a Defender of Human Dignity" - catholicvote.org

sailingaway
12-13-2010, 12:34 PM
http://catholicvote.org/discuss/index.php?p=12223

Agorism
12-13-2010, 01:12 PM
ump

Remp'in the Catholic vote.

FSP-Rebel
12-13-2010, 01:37 PM
Nice, I know plenty of people I can show this to.

Vessol
12-13-2010, 02:40 PM
Wow, great article. Thanks for sharing!

JohnEngland
12-13-2010, 03:51 PM
As a Catholic, I always like it when other Catholics get why the Austrian perspective is the moral choice for how an economy should be structured - and that capitalism isn't simply the failed keynesian "mass-consumerism-buy-lots-of-stuff-you-don't-need" perspective that people associate with "free" markets.

Agorism
12-13-2010, 05:55 PM
This should go on the mommy site.

Inkblots
12-13-2010, 06:22 PM
As a Catholic, I always like it when other Catholics get why the Austrian perspective is the moral choice for how an economy should be structured - and that capitalism isn't simply the failed keynesian "mass-consumerism-buy-lots-of-stuff-you-don't-need" perspective that people associate with "free" markets.

I'm also a Catholic, and I absolutely agree with this. What a nice blog post!

It's nice to see Dr. Paul given credit for being truly pro-life: treasuring and protecting human life from conception until natural death, not merely until birth. And it's also good to see Christians recognize that the free will given by God to each human as a moral actor must be respected.

QueenB4Liberty
12-13-2010, 06:31 PM
I'm a Catholic and I liked that blog as well.

TheTyke
12-13-2010, 07:55 PM
Great article indeed! I'll have to show this to my family and friends... In 2007, Thomas Woods wrote an excellent article on why Catholics should support Ron Paul, and that really helped get some people on board. This is awesome... there's more and more support all over!

angelatc
12-13-2010, 08:38 PM

My first thought was of Mommy, and how her head would explode if she saw this.

Legend1104
12-13-2010, 08:48 PM
Great article. He truely is the best option for someone looking for a statesman that follows the Christian ideal.

Monarchist
12-13-2010, 08:52 PM

My first thought was of Mommy, and how her head would explode if she saw this.

Who is Mommy?

sailingaway
12-13-2010, 10:01 PM
Who is Mommy?

A tortured soul who hates Rand so much she can't think straight. It is best, and kinder, to leave her in peace.

Freedom 4 all
12-13-2010, 10:08 PM
I confess I always thought of Catholics as people who generally were the opposite of us (social conservative/fiscal liberal). Good to see there are some Catholic RP fans out there.

Freedom 4 all
12-13-2010, 10:11 PM
Although to be fair, the stereotypical Catholic IS generally with us on anti-war and anti-death penalty stuff.

FSP-Rebel
12-13-2010, 10:21 PM
I confess I always thought of Catholics as people who generally were the opposite of us (social conservative/fiscal liberal). Good to see there are some Catholic RP fans out there.
:D Thx

Inkblots
12-13-2010, 11:55 PM

Heh, and what creed did you imagine Tom Woods, Pat Buchanan, Joe Sobran and Lew Rockwell profess? ;)

Agorism
12-13-2010, 11:58 PM
Catholics were the FDR-Kennedy-Carter base for the last century.

I think Bush was the first republican to win the Catholic vote. Catholics LOVED Bush for some reason.

Ekrub
12-14-2010, 12:06 AM
Found this little nugget in the comments section.

Conservatives must always remember that no form of government is going to change the nature of man. The consequences of sin remain part of the reality of this world. Perfect order, justice and freedom will always allude us in this realm. The conservative knows that the more government does for us the less we will value our faith, family and local communities. Big government takes away responsibilities that we must keep if we are to remain fully men

TheTyke
12-14-2010, 12:11 AM

I think Bush was the first republican to win the Catholic vote. Catholics LOVED Bush for some reason.

Serious Catholics are strongly pro-life (both when it comes to war or abortion) and some Catholic pro-life groups had a love affair with Bush. Personally, I believe neocons also infiltrated Right to Life, Priests for Life, the TV station EWTN (although Thomas Woods had a program on there too, so it was a mixed bag,) churches and publications... and attempted to use those as platforms to steer Catholics toward neoconservatism, and away from the Church's requirements for a Just War (which Ron Paul referenced on the house floor.)

Not all of us go along so easily, however.

Inkblots
12-14-2010, 12:14 AM
Thinking about Liberty and Catholicism, I was put in mind of a particular verse of a good old hymn we often sing at my church, "O Christ the Great Foundation":

Where tyrants' hold is tightened,
Where strong devour the weak,
Where innocents are frightened,
The righteous fear to speak,
There let Your Church awakening
Defeat the powers of sin
And, all their ramparts breaking,
With You the victory win.

JohnEngland
12-14-2010, 04:29 AM
Heh, and what creed did you imagine Tom Woods, Pat Buchanan, Joe Sobran and Lew Rockwell profess? ;)

Rockwell is a Catholic, too? Nice one! I recently found out that Jeff Tucker is one as well. He occasionally writes articles over at Inside Catholic (http://www.insidecatholic.com/tucker/).

Tom Woods, Lew Rockwell, Jeffrey Tucker, Andrew Napolitano... Now that I think about it, quite a few of the high-profile Austrians are Catholic!

romeno182
12-14-2010, 05:14 AM
private property, GTFO of womans utherus

Krugerrand
12-14-2010, 06:11 AM

Bush held a rather tight line for protecting the unborn. His 2000 campaign was on the slogan of "Compassionate Conservatism." While we later learned that slogan was a cover for I'll jack up social spending - it resonated well with those who were coming from the old Kennedy coalition mentioned above.

Krugerrand
12-14-2010, 06:15 AM
private property, GTFO of womans utherus

would you like me to help you find any number of existing threads that discuss libertarian rationale for opposing abortion?

romeno182
12-14-2010, 08:53 AM
if you think that anti-abortion is libertarian then you have no idea what libertarianism means

specsaregood
12-14-2010, 09:30 AM
if you think that anti-abortion is libertarian then you have no idea what libertarianism means

Somebody sold you a bad bill of goods. As Krug pointed out, there are plenty of threads on this subject already if you really want to discuss it. Do you need help with the search function?

Inkblots
12-14-2010, 10:33 AM
Rockwell is a Catholic, too? Nice one! I recently found out that Jeff Tucker is one as well. He occasionally writes articles over at Inside Catholic (http://www.insidecatholic.com/tucker/).

Tom Woods, Lew Rockwell, Jeffrey Tucker, Andrew Napolitano... Now that I think about it, quite a few of the high-profile Austrians are Catholic!

Heh, can't believe I forgot about Jeff Tucker and the Judge. Tucker has also written for the New Liturgical Movement (http://www.newliturgicalmovement.org/) website.

But I guess it makes sense: Austria is a Catholic country, after all! ;)