PDA

View Full Version : Article: Why Mike Pence Can Steal Sarah Palin's Thunder

Sola_Fide
12-13-2010, 10:42 AM
hxxp://www.politicsdaily.com/2010/12/02/why-mike-pence-could-steal-sarah-palins-thunder/

"If Mike Pence keeps talking, the left will soon have to stop talking about Sarah Palin."

That's according to the Detroit News' Nolan Finley's latest editorial. Finley goes on to note that "Mike Pence is no Sarah Palin. And that should worry the daylights out of the left."(Pence had recently spoken at the Detroit Economic Club.) The Pence admiration, of course, is not limited to one reporter in Michigan. Though the Indiana congressman says he won't decide whether to run for president until next year, conservative leaders I spoke to were equally as bullish on him. Chris Chocola, president of the powerful fiscally conservative Club for Growth (and a former Indiana Congressman), tells me Pence may benefit from being less well known, and less of a lighting rod than Palin. He also notes that Pence's "conservative credentials are really unquestionable" and that he "appeals to every group that Palin appeals to -- and probably a little more."

"Pence is Palin with gravitas. Pence is Palin with experience," adds Brent Bozell, chairman of ForAmerica.Regarding experience, FreedomWorks Chairman Dick Armey says of Pence: "He's been a rock-solid fiscal conservative, showing up not only for the high-profile TARP and Obamacare battles, but also championing issues that are maybe less glamorous politically but are critically important for our country, such as fundamental tax reform, specifically the flat tax."

Of course, Pence would have some major obstacles to overcome. Historically, Americans don't elect presidents from the House of Representatives. What is more, a fellow Hoosier -- Gov. Mitch Daniels -- might run, which would complicate matters. Others are skeptical of whether Pence could raise the kind of money a credible presidential race might require. And, of course, there's the issue of whether anyone could wrest control of the grassroots conservative vote from Palin, should she decide to run. But Pence's friendly personality and likable demeanor might go a long way. "He has a disarming personality. He doesn't come at you -- he just talks to you," says Chocola. He's"like [Mike] Huckabee on the stump." Pence is fortunate to have solid fiscal and social conservative credentials. Recently, he won the Value Voters straw poll organized by the socially conservative Family Research Council.

HOLLYWOOD
12-13-2010, 10:49 AM
AIPAC PENCE's #1 Fan is AOL Media hack Matt Lewis

Here's Matt Lewis' article 2 months ago pumping/pimping Pence to the Forefront.

http://www.politicsdaily.com/2010/09/18/values-voters-pick-mike-pence-for-president/

Rep. Mike Pence, R-Ind. (24%)
Former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee (22%)
Former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney (13%)
Former House Speaker Newt Gingrich (10%)
Former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin (7%)
Former Pennsylvania Sen. Rick Santorum (5%)
Sen. Jim DeMint R-S.C. (5%)
Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal (2%)
Indiana Gov. Mitch Daniels (2%)
New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie (2%)
Sen. John Thune, R-S.D. (2%)
Virginia Gov. Bob McDonnell - 1 percent
Former Florida House Speaker Marco Rubio (1%)
Rep. Paul Ryan, R-Wis. (1%)
Mississippi Gov. Haley Barbour (1%)
Rep. Ron Paul, R-Texas (1%)
Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer (less than 1%)

sailingaway
12-13-2010, 10:50 AM
Other than at the values voter summit, he's polling really really low. PPP polls across the nation for the primaries and has been all year. It's Romney, Sarah, Huckabee, Gingrich, Ron

Then way down in the 1% or 2% you find Pence, Pawlenty, Thune etc.

He's clearly making a move but they are all 'safe' moves, and uninspiring.

Sola_Fide
12-13-2010, 10:56 AM
The only reason I posted the article is because of FreedomWorks glowing endorsement of him.

The Tea Parties simply have not learned their lesson yet about the military-industrial complex.

sailingaway
12-13-2010, 11:11 AM
The only reason I posted the article is because of FreedomWorks glowing endorsement of him.

The Tea Parties simply have not learned their lesson yet about the military-industrial complex.

Yeah. I see your point. With their support he will get more of a hearing.

Feeding the Abscess
12-13-2010, 05:26 PM
I hope he does steal Palin's thunder. Ron would be able to attack him head on without veiled accusations of sexism.

AuH2O
12-14-2010, 03:33 PM

FreedomWorks is a economic issues group, and has called for cuts in defense spending. Foreign policy is not really their business, though. Would you have an issue with Gun Owners of America endorsing him?

Sola_Fide
12-31-2010, 03:06 PM
FreedomWorks is a economic issues group, and has called for cuts in defense spending. Foreign policy is not really their business, though. Would you have an issue with Gun Owners of America endorsing him?

I'm not sure what you mean?

sailingaway
12-31-2010, 03:08 PM
The media keeps pushing him, but by google trends, he isn't catching on.

BamaAla
12-31-2010, 03:16 PM
I'm not sure what you mean?

I don't know much about "Freedomworks," but his post read like they are an economics only group. From what I've read about Pence, he isn't horrible on fiscal matters, so a group who's only prerogative is economics wouldn't be that bad for endorsing him. Sort of like the NRA endorsing Reid. I'm a lifetime member of NRA and I was rather upset about them backing off of their Reid endorsement; I want the NRA to stay a single issue group and not start branching out into politics at large as another "conservative" mouthpiece.

I don't want to speak for anyone else, but that's how I read the post.

Agorism
12-31-2010, 03:24 PM
I'd prefer Palin. I think Palin is a joke and everyone knows it. If she wins Iowa, there will be establishment push back against her there after.

If Pence wins it would be a coronation.

Sola_Fide
12-31-2010, 03:26 PM
Probably...

Although Sailingaway makes a good point in that he is uninspiring and not cathching on (except with the establishment), so we will see...

Brett85
12-31-2010, 05:24 PM
I don't know much about "Freedomworks," but his post read like they are an economics only group. From what I've read about Pence, he isn't horrible on fiscal matters, so a group who's only prerogative is economics wouldn't be that bad for endorsing him. Sort of like the NRA endorsing Reid. I'm a lifetime member of NRA and I was rather upset about them backing off of their Reid endorsement; I want the NRA to stay a single issue group and not start branching out into politics at large as another "conservative" mouthpiece.

I don't want to speak for anyone else, but that's how I read the post.

Mike Pence has an outstanding record on fiscal issues. He probably has the 2nd best fiscal record in the House next to Ron.

Agorism
12-31-2010, 05:28 PM
But Pence is voted for the Iraq and Afghan wars. I personally believe that the war on terror is essentially a communist plot (that Pence supports.) Nationalism\Overzealous Patriotism= Communism. Pence also supports Torture, domestic wire tapping, and indefinite detention without habeas corpus like many dictators do.

Voting for Pence would be like voting for Saddam Hussein.

http://www.learnnc.org/lp/media/uploads/2009/12/iraq_saddam_hussein.jpg

Sola_Fide
12-31-2010, 05:36 PM
Yeah...

These "fiscal hawks" who want endless wars are riduculous. They are also ridiculous for championing the Constitution, yet neglecting the 4th amendment.

HUGE inconsistencies there...