PDA

View Full Version : Ron Paul: 50-50 Chance I'll Run for President

Elwar
12-13-2010, 10:06 AM
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-503544_162-20025443-503544.html

Republican Rep. Ron Paul, known for bucking his party in favor of his libertarian principles, says there's a chance he'll make another run for the presidency.

"I'd say it's at least 50-50 that I'll run again," Paul told the New York Times in a profile (http://www.cbsnews.com/%3C/p%3E%20%3Cp%3Ehttp://www.nytimes.com/2010/12/13/us/politics/13paul.html) of the 75-year-old congressman. His decision will reportedly hinge in part on how the economy fares.

Madly_Sane
12-13-2010, 10:13 AM
No offense to RP supporters, but I don't think he has a chance of winning, imo, even though I doubt he believes he will anyway. But the point for him isn't to win, it's to get the message out there, right?

Thomas
12-13-2010, 10:14 AM
No offense to RP supporters, but I don't think he has a chance of winning, imo, even though I doubt he believes he will anyway. But the point for him isn't to win, it's to get the message out there, right?

the best way to get the message out is to win

Madly_Sane
12-13-2010, 10:16 AM
Even if he doesn't win, he still gets the message out there, even if it's not as effective as winning.

Maybe, instead, I should have said "Although the point is to win, it's more about spreading the message."

Son of Detroit
12-13-2010, 10:21 AM
I don't see this as a good thing. If it's 50/50 he still has a lot of reservations.

kliquid
12-13-2010, 10:26 AM
This is such excellent news. It sounded before like he didn't want to run.

driller80545
12-13-2010, 10:27 AM
He has to win! There is no other cure.

specsaregood
12-13-2010, 10:27 AM

If he is gonna run this time, he better run to win.

sailingaway
12-13-2010, 10:28 AM
The Street published a similar story: http://www.thestreet.com/story/10945303/1/ron-paul-may-repeat-presidental-bid.html?cm_ven=GOOGLEN

So did Daily Caller but it doesn't really add to what CBS has.

As for the reservations, whatever WE might want, we know he runs to get the message out. (Some pundit after the Rally for the Republic said something in passing about 'After all, YOU wanted to be President....' and Ron's face kind of contorted and he retorted, ' I was WILLING to be president.' The look on his face was kind of 'eeeeeewww.' Duty, and spreading the message, are what would make him run.

If his committee provides the opportunity to do something substantive and he isn't frustrated in that, and if he is given media attention to speak about issues as a pundit, he MAY decide not to run imho, because he may feel he is better accomplishing his objectives where he is. However, it might depend on how much he is actually allowed to do with his committee.

I'll back him, whatever he does.

However, if he runs, he'd better get Rand's ad folks. Those ads were GOOD. And Ron's ads sucked, frankly.

TER
12-13-2010, 10:28 AM
I don't see this as a good thing. If it's 50/50 he still has a lot of reservations.

Really? I take this recent revelation to mean he is running for president. The fact that the primary decision for him to run or not will be the economy and it is quite clear the economy will not be better (and likely worse) in the next year, it follows that he will be running. (fingers crossed)

Michigan11
12-13-2010, 10:30 AM

He also said in that article, he would be watching how the economy would be doing. So I take it as a good sign. lol

Madly_Sane
12-13-2010, 10:33 AM
If he is gonna run this time, he better run to win.

If someone runs for president, don't you think he/she has the mindset to win. But he also has to go in with the mindset that there's a (great, imo) possibility of him losing.

speciallyblend
12-13-2010, 10:38 AM
exactly, the gop better hope Ron paul 2012 happens. Let me rephrase that. The gop better make Ron Paul 2012 happen!!!!! or i will not be able to support biggovgop establishment! Which alienates/eliminates 99.9% of the gop candidates!!

sailingaway
12-13-2010, 10:39 AM
If someone runs for president, don't you think he/she has the mindset to win. But he also has to go in with the mindset that there's a (great, imo) possibility of him losing.

Clearly, you haven't been following him long. He absolutely outright said that a month or so ago. something like 'well of course, I run for different reasons, I don't think I'll be president, but....' This is highly frustrating to supporters, of course, and people vent madly.

However, he puts all his energy into it to be fair to his supporters who go all out (watch and be amazed.) That is why he never dropped out, last time. We and he are a symbiotic relationship, so to speak. :p

And we surprised him, last time, with donations, etc. I think we'll astonish him this time. There are a lot of people who researched him just before their primary (like myself) who really couldn't get into it in time to help, except for donations.

Madly_Sane
12-13-2010, 10:39 AM
exactly, the gop better hope Ron paul 2012 happens. Let me rephrase that. The gop better make Ron Paul 2012 happen!!!!! or i will not be able to support biggovgop establishment! Which alienates/eliminates 99.9% of the gop candidates!!

Does it remove the positions or just the runners up? :confused:

WilliamShrugged
12-13-2010, 10:40 AM
I hope he runs. I do believe he has a good chance at winning, I just think it will be awesome to help out and educate more people during his campaign. I became a fan of RP about a year ago and the knowledge i have gained thanks to the mises web site, Peter Schiff, and this Forum have given me hope that only more will show their support.

Madly_Sane
12-13-2010, 10:41 AM
Clearly, you haven't been following him long. He absolutely outright said that a month or so ago. something like 'well of course, I run for different reasons, I don't think I'll be president, but....'

However, he puts all his energy into it to be fair to his supporters who go all out (watch and be amazed.) That is why he never dropped out, last time. We and he area symbiotic relationship, so to speak. :p
I never said he didn't want to win, or wasn't trying to win.

speciallyblend
12-13-2010, 10:42 AM
look let me tell you guys and gals this RON PAUL is F'in running in 2012! Period F'in period END OF DISCUSSION:) The Gop has no credibility other then Ron Paul 2012!!

Madly_Sane
12-13-2010, 10:44 AM
Who said he wasn't running? :(

sailingaway
12-13-2010, 10:45 AM
Who said he wasn't running? :(

Don't worry about it. The frustration with perceived lack of enthusiasm is with him or his old campaign staff, not with you. And no one lives up to obligations like he does, so if he runs, we'll all get our money's worth. However, I hope he puts a 'real' staff together, now that he knows he has support.

Vessol
12-13-2010, 10:45 AM
However, if he runs, he'd better get Rand's ad folks. Those ads were GOOD. And Ron's ads sucked, frankly.

Whats wrong with "I'm telling you, he's catching on!" :(

puppetmaster
12-13-2010, 10:46 AM
getting out the vote!

SilentBull
12-13-2010, 10:47 AM
With ads that are as good as Rand's ads, he can pull it off!

speciallyblend
12-13-2010, 10:54 AM
Don't worry about it. The frustration with perceived lack of enthusiasm is with him or his old campaign staff, not with you. And no one lives up to obligations like he does, so if he runs, we'll all get our money's worth. However, I hope he puts a 'real' staff together, now that he knows he has support.

I blame the gop and the gop establishment not his campaign or Ron Paul!!!! We are trying to reform a corrupt gop establishment who played illegal games across all conventions and cheated and were unethical and corrupt in most conventions with typical gop establishment games!! trying to blame the campaign or ron paul is like trying to blame assange for the us gov law breaking and corruption of the us constitution!!
The REAL BLAME IS THE GOP AND ITS FAILED LEADERS AND PARTY!!! The failure of the gop wasn't caused by obama or Ron paul or his campaign. it rests on the failed shoulders of the gop!! knowing the gop track record i expect nothing much from the gop in 2012! Because of the corrupt gop. I wish Ron would run indy!! I expect failure from the gop in 2012! The gop will stop Ron paul 2012!! I will do my best to secure the 2012 nomination for Ron Paul but i expect the gop will make sure it doesn't happen and i will reward the gop for its actions!!

JVParkour
12-13-2010, 10:56 AM
I unfortunately wasn't able to take part in the 2008 campaign because I discovered Ron Paul and Freedom only 2 months before the election. But now, I am ready to rock and roll. I agree with puppetmaster, I WILL dominate for Ron!

Madly_Sane
12-13-2010, 11:01 AM

I blame the gop and the gop establishment not his campaign or Ron Paul!!!! We are trying to reform a corrupt gop establishment who played illegal games across all conventions and cheated and were unethical and corrupt in most conventions with typical gop establishment games!! trying to blame the campaign or ron paul is like trying to blame assange for the us gov law breaking and corruption of the us constitution!!
The REAL BLAME IS THE GOP AND ITS FAILED LEADERS AND PARTY!!! The failure of the gop wasn't caused by obama or Ron paul or his campaign. it rests on the failed shoulders of the gop!! knowing the gop track record i expect nothing much from the gop in 2012! Because of the corrupt gop. I wish Ron would run indy!! I expect failure from the gop in 2012! The gop will stop Ron paul 2012!! I will do my best to secure the 2012 nomination for Ron Paul but i expect the gop will make sure it doesn't happen and i will reward the gop for its actions!!

You're just on fire today, aren't ya? :p

sailingaway
12-13-2010, 11:08 AM

Oh, I absolutely blame them. I know the games they played in the parties. However, because of those, i think Ron never really thought he had a chance and never put together the kind of staff you would need to push it over the top even when you yourself are too busy to manage the details.

Matt Collins
12-13-2010, 11:16 AM
If his committee provides the opportunity to do something substantive and he isn't frustrated in that, and if he is given media attention to speak about issues as a pundit, he MAY decide not to run imho, because he may feel he is better accomplishing his objectives where he is. However, it might depend on how much he is actually allowed to do with his committee.That and health issues (or a miraculous economic recovery :p ) would be the only things that would stop him from running.

erowe1
12-13-2010, 11:20 AM
The article says:

Paul won less than 2 percent of the vote in his 2008 Republican primary presidential bid.

What in the world do they base that on? I'm pretty sure he was way higher than that. I doubt there was a single state where he was that low. He was in the 5-10% range in most that I remember, and there were a handful where he was above that.

Madly_Sane
12-13-2010, 11:28 AM
That and health issues (or a miraculous economic recovery :p ) would be the only things that would stop him from running.

Don't provoke the gov't

sailingaway
12-13-2010, 11:30 AM
The article says:

What in the world do they base that on? I'm pretty sure he was way higher than that. I doubt there was a single state where he was that low. He was in the 5-10% range in most that I remember, and there were a handful where he was above that.

Ballot access just corrected that, it was 5.6%. Mind you, now that it was on front page NYTimes and CBS as 'less than 2%', that will be the MSM line....

http://www.ballot-access.org/2010/12/13/ron-paul-tells-new-york-times-it-is-at-least-50-50-that-he-will-run-for-president-in-2012/

RonPaulwillWin
12-13-2010, 11:39 AM

My username doesn't approve of your comment.

Madly_Sane
12-13-2010, 11:42 AM
Hey, he could win.

Philhelm
12-13-2010, 12:30 PM
Really? I take this recent revelation to mean he is running for president. The fact that the primary decision for him to run or not will be the economy and it is quite clear the economy will not be better (and likely worse) in the next year, it follows that he will be running. (fingers crossed)

Those were exactly my thoughts as well.

libertybrewcity
12-13-2010, 12:31 PM
There is no reason why he could not win. I know many youth that would vote for Paul over Obama. The GOP base would turn out and he could definitely sway enough independents and swing voters to win it. His grassroots organization would rival that of Obama from the day he announces his candidacy. Even if we didn't win, the country would be much better off and the gop establishment would be changed forever.

Madly_Sane
12-13-2010, 12:35 PM
Well yeah, if it was a straight Obama vs Paul election, then it would be a surefire win.
But his chances of election also depend on the other candidates and how many.

torchbearer
12-13-2010, 12:39 PM
start saving your pocket change for the first moneybomb!

torchbearer
12-13-2010, 12:40 PM
If Ron gets a lot of money early on, he could really set up state organizations to get him the delegates he needs. And we all have the experience from last time around to make it happen!

RCA
12-13-2010, 01:30 PM
I have to agree with Stefan Molyneux that even if Ron DID win, it would be the same as changing the hood ornament of the state.

emazur
12-13-2010, 01:46 PM
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/12/13/us/politics/13paul.html?pagewanted=2&_r=2&hp

“I’d say it’s at least 50-50 that I’ll run again,” he said, adding that he would look at where the economy is. (Aides add that it would depend a lot on what his wife, Carol, says.)
In a video from earlier this year she seemed quite supportive of the idea:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFmRHLJHjtA

DjLoTi
12-13-2010, 02:08 PM
If Ron doesn't win, we will not end the wars. If he runs and doesn't win, it will probably be the last shot. The wars will not end. The only solution to save our country is for Ron to win. This is why he has the most passionate supporters. Because Ron is the only chance we have at saving our troops and our money. In 2012, I think either we rise to the occasion, or fall into oblivion.

Heimdallr
12-13-2010, 02:09 PM
Really? A 50-50 chance? That's it?! Wasn't he saying that like a year and a half ago? :(

specsaregood
12-13-2010, 02:12 PM
Really? A 50-50 chance? That's it?! Wasn't he saying that like a year and a half ago? :(

I don't believe so. I never heard him put a % on it. I just recall him saying, he wasn't really thinking about it.

sailingaway
12-13-2010, 02:12 PM

No, he was saying "If I had to answer now, I'd say 'no', but I haven't absolutely decided against it. It will depend on the economy. If I see a bond bubble forming, it will be pretty hard not to speak out....'

Heimdallr
12-13-2010, 02:16 PM
No, he was saying "If I had to answer now, I'd say 'no', but I haven't absolutely decided against it. It will depend on the economy. If I see a bond bubble forming, it will be pretty hard not to speak out....'

Ah, so it sounds like improvement, I guess.

Promontorium
12-13-2010, 02:43 PM
If Ron Runs, I will be happy for his continued and relatively (yet decreasingly) lonely efforts. Though if he's not running to win, I don't have the money to finance his expedition.

Though the last run was so heart wrenching. I've read several subsequent articles calling him a "perennial" candidate when he's only run twice in 20 years, they are just itching to mock and denounce him again.

CUnknown
12-13-2010, 02:52 PM
I am disappointed that people seem to think that if an economic recovery happens, that he won't run. It's highly possible that our economy will continue to recover.. but we all know that this "recovery" is short-term at best, that it's paid for with borrowed money, and that it can't last.. so wtf .... he needs to run anyway! If there's a recovery, he needs to remind people about how fake it is... if there's a depression, he needs to bring the solutions.

Run, Ron, Run!