PDA

View Full Version : Liberty minded books for neo-con uncles.

TomtheTinker
12-11-2010, 12:44 PM
So I'm looking for Christmas presents for my uncles ..I'm trying to open their minds to voting for Ron Paul and supporting the liberty movement as a whole. To best describe my uncles political and economic views in as few word possible would be some what of a mix of Rush/Beck/Thomas Sowell.

So basically what I'm looking for is suggestions of books I can buy them that wont turn them off but still get a liberty message across..It is important to me that they also enjoy reading the book due to the fact I don't like buying crappy gifts.

Anyways I thank you for your input in advance.

RonPaulCult
12-11-2010, 12:56 PM
The Creature from Jekyll Island is probably the best book out there to wake people up with. I can't imagine anybody reading it and not being convinced about what's really going on, and who really is in charge.

Matt Collins
12-11-2010, 02:18 PM
If their main issue is foreign policy get them "American Empire: Before The Fall" by Bruce Fein

When you give it to them be sure you let them know that Bruce was one of Reagan's lawyers.

guitarlifter
12-11-2010, 02:34 PM
Does anyone know of any good books that support libertarianism through Christian theology? My father is a pastor, and he is sold on the neocon ideology. I need to help him see an argument so clear that he can't possibly deny it.

lester1/2jr
12-11-2010, 02:36 PM
I would definately say "where the right went wrong" by Pat Buchanan for it's sharp rebuke of the status quo/ neocon republican foreign policy view.

It's very readable /accesible, etc

muzzled dogg
12-11-2010, 02:56 PM
That new schiff picture book

Sentient Void
12-11-2010, 03:26 PM
For them, if they are neocons who support empire and the wars, etc - "Marching Towards Hell" by Head of CIA Bin Laden unit Michael Scheuer

PreDeadMan
12-11-2010, 04:24 PM
"Healing Our World" by Dr. Mary Ruwart

malkusm
12-11-2010, 04:46 PM
"Healing Our World" by Dr. Mary Ruwart

No, he said something that wouldn't turn them off. Incrementalism is the key.

To the OP - it really depends on what topic you think your uncle would have the biggest problem with RP on. If it's foreign policy, Collins' suggestion is a good one, as is "Imperial Hubris" by Michael Scheuer. If you're looking for a general overview book, I'd suggest perhaps "Lies the Government Told You" by Judge Napolitano, or maybe just "The Revolution" by Ron Paul, unless you think he already has a negative predisposition to RP.

Tinnuhana
12-11-2010, 05:00 PM
I lent my Schiff book "Why an Economy..." to a guy at my church who'd developed a taste for Austrian economics and he went out and bought five copies for him and his family. A woman is reading it now and, as a teacher, highly recommends it for education. For on the edge newbies, it's a good start, since economic awareness more easily precedes the other issues (not as threatening to any perceived political position). Consider: Alan Grayson is one of Peter's clients.
Maybe Ron Paul's reading list for Giuliani? I see many of those mentioned here.

TroySmith
12-11-2010, 05:11 PM
Atlas Shrugged

TomtheTinker
12-11-2010, 06:27 PM
Thanks guys...I think I'm gonna buy "Lies the Government Told Us" for my uncle Richie who is the more open minded of the two. Since the Judge is probably a familiar face and has a good amount of credibility within both our crowd and the Fox News crowd.

For my uncle Bobby who is economically educated being an accountant and pretty strong and deep in his neo con beliefs I'm thinking about maybe Thomas Woods book "Meltdown" would be a good choice. I really think my Uncle B would easily accept many of the ideas of austrian economics being a supply sider already. But if anybody has a better Idea for economics I would be open to that. Also I'm Thinking about the Pat Buchanan book mentioned..I first want to make sure he already doesn't have a negative view of pat before I buy it.

I'm gonna ask them to buy me "Revolution" & an undecided book for xmas. This way I can tell them when they are done reading the books I bought them to let me borrow them..then I can let them borrow "revolution"...a little bit at a time hopefully I can bring the over to team Liberty!!

My goal is to have the whole family vote for R.P....my family is all over the political spectrum..my uncles are the most interested in politics though.

malkusm
12-11-2010, 06:33 PM
Thanks guys...I think I'm gonna buy "Lies the Government Told Us" for my uncle Richie who is the more open minded of the two. Since the Judge is probably a familiar face and has a good amount of credibility within both our crowd and the Fox News crowd.

For my uncle Bobby who is economically educated being an accountant and pretty strong and deep in his neo con beliefs I'm thinking about maybe Thomas Woods book "Meltdown" would be a good choice. I really think my Uncle B would easily accept many of the ideas of austrian economics being a supply sider already. But if anybody has a better Idea for economics I would be open to that. Also I'm Thinking about the Pat Buchanan book mentioned..I first want to make sure he already doesn't have a negative view of pat before I buy it.

I'm gonna ask them to buy me "Revolution" & an undecided book for xmas. This way I can tell them when they are done reading the books I bought them to let me borrow them..then I can let them borrow "revolution"...a little bit at a time hopefully I can bring the over to team Liberty!!

My goal is to have the whole family vote for R.P....my family is all over the political spectrum..my uncles are the most interested in politics though.

+rep, good choices and good thinking!

AlexMerced
12-11-2010, 07:19 PM
YouTube - How to Learn Economics? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5WGGgTlK6o&p=E378B3805F255E4C)