PDA

View Full Version : State Dept Decides: Julian Assange Not a Journalist

Agorism
12-11-2010, 11:37 AM
State Dept Decides: Julian Assange Not a Journalist

http://news.antiwar.com/2010/12/10/state-dept-decides-julian-assange-not-a-journalist

The protection of WikiLeaks and its founder Julian Assange under the umbrella of freedom of the press has been a surprisingly controversial subject in the United States. But the US State Department has weighed in today and ruled that Julian Assange doesn’t count as a journalist but is rather a “politcal actor.”

The claim, which was announced by US Assistant Secretary of State P.J. Crowley came with the justification that Assange has an “agenda” behind his activities, which in this case appears to be the goal of seeing the truth revealed to the public, which is wholly incompatible with being a “journalist.”

It is a doubly bizarre claim, both because the historical concept of a journalist involves exactly this, revealing true information to the public, and in that the United States does not formally license journalists nor does there seem to be any basis for deciding who does or doesn’t count.

The Constitution, of course, makes no effort to limit the “freedom of the press” to a specific class of officially approved of journalists, and the term “political actor” appears to have been made up entirely on the spot, which no existing basis under US law as giving a person less of a constitutional right to free speech.

Crowley went on to say that Assange is trying to “undermine the international system” and that he is an “anarchist” for having done so. Assange self-identifies as a libertarian in the American sense, but insists he is not actively political.

AxisMundi
12-11-2010, 11:39 AM
Has the DOJ weighed in on this?

specsaregood
12-11-2010, 11:41 AM
LOL, well I guess that means about 99% of so called journalists are just actors....

Well hell, haven't most of us been saying that for years now?

mello
12-11-2010, 11:43 AM
"...which in this case appears to be the goal of seeing the truth revealed to the public, which is wholly incompatible with being a “journalist.”

What the hell!?!? I thought that was the definition of being a journalist.

JamesButabi
12-11-2010, 11:43 AM
Wow, a whole new meaning of government slant.

Agorism
12-11-2010, 11:45 AM
They also decide who the "terrorists" are.

awake
12-11-2010, 11:46 AM
They won't accept any other title than "enemy combatant". The only thing supporting Assange is favorable public support and the direct loss in public support from the political establishment for pursuing him.

Lucille
12-11-2010, 11:50 AM
"How strangely will the Tools of a Tyrant pervert the plain Meaning of Words!"
--Samuel Adams

idirtify
12-11-2010, 11:58 AM
His criteria for reclassifying someone from protected "journalist" to a legally vulnerable "political actor": "Mr. Assange obviously has a particular political objective behind his activities, and I think that, among other things, disqualifies him as being considered a journalist," Crowley said.

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2010/12/state-dept-political-objective-disqualifies-reporter-from-considered-journalist/

---------------

WOW. Apparently (just pronounced by our federal government) most of the major radio and television news networks, especially CNN and FOX and MSNBC – and most of the major newspapers, including our own local republican-biased one – and thousands of news websites, are now officially thrown out of the category of journalism.

And this also just in:
“INSTEAD OF GOVERNMENT-BY-CONSTITUTION, WE NOW HAVE GOVERNMENT-BY-PRONOUNCEMENT”
So by all means, listen closely, as things can change by the minute.

Agorism
12-11-2010, 12:02 PM
Timer man of the year please.

Time magazine is owned by what? GE?

Matt Collins
12-11-2010, 12:08 PM
State Dept Decides: Julian Assange Not a Journalist
Source??? :confused:

Agorism
12-11-2010, 12:10 PM
oops

I originally saw it here

http://news.antiwar.com/2010/12/10/state-dept-decides-julian-assange-not-a-journalist/

But rawstory has it now too

UtahApocalypse
12-11-2010, 12:13 PM
You may not know it yet but this is the moment freedom of press goes away

hazek
12-11-2010, 12:15 PM
I think this is it.

2012 will be our last shot to preserve our liberties or we are going to live under tyranny for the rest of most of our lives.

tremendoustie
12-11-2010, 12:17 PM
Kind of like how they can just decide you're not an american anymore, if the president wants to kill you.

YumYum
12-11-2010, 12:25 PM
They also decide who the "terrorists" are.

According to Crowley, when "asked what Assange's political objective is, he replied: "I think he’s an anarchist, but he’s not a journalist." "

If people do not want to end up in Gitmo, they need to be very careful about proclaiming on the net that they are an "anarchist". Self proclaimed "anarchist" have already been targeted. This is scary stuff.

Dr.3D
12-11-2010, 12:28 PM
The claim, which was announced by US Assistant Secretary of State P.J. Crowley came with the justification that Assange has an “agenda” behind his activities, which in this case appears to be the goal of seeing the truth revealed to the public, which is wholly incompatible with being a “journalist.”

So in his mind, journalists are not supposed to be revealing truth to the public? If that is the case, then he must expect journalists to only print untruths and government propaganda.

tremendoustie
12-11-2010, 12:33 PM
So in his mind, journalists are not supposed to be revealing truth to the public? If that is the case, then he must expect journalists to only print untruths and government propaganda.

I think the "agenda" part was from Crowley -- the rest was a comment on the part of the author.

But yes, I'm sure that's more or less what Crowley believes.

dannno
12-11-2010, 01:30 PM
Billl OO OOO O OOO OOO OOO Reilly should be tried as well.

pcosmar
12-11-2010, 01:35 PM
Welcome to Bizzaro world.

:mad:

JK/SEA
12-11-2010, 01:49 PM
is this where we start wearing Guy Fawkes masks now?

pcosmar
12-11-2010, 01:54 PM

This is where we either stop pretending that we have a free country, and that our rulers are benevolent
Or hide from the truth and hope for the best.
:( :mad:
I believe the choice of mask is still a Free Choice.

;)

tangent4ronpaul
12-11-2010, 01:59 PM

Will Guy Fawkes masks and copies of JS LOIC on your iphone browser history be the new virtual drop gun to bust ppl for "cyber-terrorism"(sic) ?

http://pandalabs.pandasecurity.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/Blog.png

http://pastehtml.com/view/1c9pj9b.html

-t

JK/SEA
12-11-2010, 02:03 PM
Well one thing for sure, i'm already getting a little annoyed that 'fear' is creeping into my life. And i don't mean the kind of fear that comes with daily life, which i can handle... we're talking REAL FEAR...

pcosmar
12-11-2010, 02:05 PM
"...which in this case appears to be the goal of seeing the truth revealed to the public, which is wholly incompatible with being a “journalist".

They are not even trying to deny anything that is being released.
Not even trying to justify it. Explain it. Or condemn it.

They just admit it is the truth, but say we have NO Right to Know it.

Where are the "Good Cops"? Where are the Honest Politicians ?

This is defining.

sailingaway
12-11-2010, 02:07 PM
Anyone who has a political bias would be an actor then. Every blogger on the Atlantic, all JournoLister's, etc... Us.

And if
the goal of seeing the truth revealed to the public, which is wholly incompatible with being a “journalist.”

then what exactly IS a journalist? I thought that was WHY there were newspapers?

JK/SEA
12-11-2010, 02:08 PM
hope and change...

>sound of toilet flushing<

Heimdallr
12-11-2010, 02:11 PM
... what the fuck does that mean?

YumYum
12-11-2010, 02:19 PM
... what the fuck does that mean?

It means that Americans will be prosecuted for posting anything that is considered to be sympathetic to any form of terrorism. One area I believe that this will be evident, is that anybody in the future, that condemns Israel or "Zionism" will be considered a "terrorist". I would recommend people tone down their anger at Israel.

pcosmar
12-11-2010, 02:23 PM
It means that Americans will be prosecuted for posting anything,,,

I would recommend people tone down their anger

I would recommend that people arm themselves, and join with others for common defense.

The gloves are coming off of the beast.

Heimdallr
12-11-2010, 02:28 PM
I would recommend that people arm themselves, and join with others for common defense.

I don't know how to feel these days. Sometimes, I feel very optimistic, and it seems things are turning our way, and days like today it seems hopeless. People will take WAY too much abuse :mad:

Philhelm
12-11-2010, 02:29 PM
Kind of like how they can just decide you're not an american anymore, if the president wants to kill you.

I thought that the president can kill you even if you're an American citizen now.

YumYum
12-11-2010, 02:40 PM

And just who do we join? How can we stand up to the National Guard, or the Marines? We would be slaughtered!

AxisMundi
12-11-2010, 02:55 PM
His criteria for reclassifying someone from protected "journalist" to a legally vulnerable "political actor": "Mr. Assange obviously has a particular political objective behind his activities, and I think that, among other things, disqualifies him as being considered a journalist," Crowley said.

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2010/12/state-dept-political-objective-disqualifies-reporter-from-considered-journalist/

---------------

WOW. Apparently (just pronounced by our federal government) most of the major radio and television news networks, especially CNN and FOX and MSNBC – and most of the major newspapers, including our own local republican-biased one – and thousands of news websites, are now officially thrown out of the category of journalism.

And this also just in:
“INSTEAD OF GOVERNMENT-BY-CONSTITUTION, WE NOW HAVE GOVERNMENT-BY-PRONOUNCEMENT”
So by all means, listen closely, as things can change by the minute.

Using that definition disqualifies Fox News, Limbaugh, Oblie, and dozens of other "news" media and partisan talking heads.

HOLLYWOOD
12-11-2010, 03:09 PM
"How strangely will the Tools of a Tyrant pervert the plain Meaning of Words!"
--Samuel Adams

Coming to a Federal Courtroom Near YOU!

YouTube - Nazi resistors on trial. Imagine YOU standing there in front of THIS judge. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOLdLdSwe2A)

DadaOrwell
12-11-2010, 04:34 PM
WikiLeaks makes mistakes. And history.

The Leakers and Anon folk are getting a lot of things right. But what mistakes are they making?

YouTube - WikiLeaks, Anonymous make mistakes. And history. (Julian Assange, leaked cables) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0olUtMTO5OE)

LibForestPaul
12-11-2010, 06:09 PM
And just who do we join? How can we stand up to the National Guard, or the Marines? We would be slaughtered!

3%'s vs Marines is bad

3%'s vs Bankers, seems alot better odds.

pcosmar
12-11-2010, 06:21 PM

Like minded people. Many of those will me ex-military. Some current military will join the resistance.

Bottom line, everyone dies. You can die begging or you can die fighting.
Sooner everyone will have to chose what side of this they are on.

Who to join ?
Your local defenders.
Unless you want to suck up to the globalists and hope for the crumbs of the table.
;)

Rael
12-11-2010, 07:34 PM

Are you kidding? They can't even win in a third world shithole like Afghanistan. Most will desert before shooting their friends and neighbors. This actually probably would be the best time if something like this is going to happen because the military is stretched thin and about to go broke!

Imperial
12-11-2010, 07:36 PM
In other news, Orly Taitz decided that President Obama is not a Christian.