PDA

View Full Version : Assange To Be Indicted Under US Espionage Act

tsai3904
12-10-2010, 10:10 AM
ABC News | December 10, 2010

http://abcnews.go.com/US/assange-lawyers-prepare-us-espionage-indictment/story?id=12362315

Wikileaks founder Julian Assange, the man behind the publication of more than a 250,000 classified U.S. diplomatic cables, could soon be facing spying charges in the U.S. related to the Espionage Act, Assange's lawyer said today.

"Our position of course is that we don't believe it applies to Mr. Assange and that in any event he's entitled to First Amendment protection as publisher of Wikileaks and any prosecution under the Espionage Act would in my view be unconstitutional and puts at risk all media organizations in the U.S.," Assange's attorney Jennifer Robinson told ABC News.

Robinson said a U.S. indictment of Assange was imminent.

Assange is already in custody in London on sexual assault charges including rape originating out of Sweden. He is being held in solitary confinement with restricted access to a phone and his lawyers, Robinson said.

"This means he is under significant surveillance but also means he has more restrictive conditions than other prisoners," she said. "Considering the circumstances he was incredibly positive and upbeat."

Justice Department officials declined to comment on the possible coming charges, but earlier this week, U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder said the release of the documents had put the United States at risk and said he authorized a criminal investigation into Assange.

"The lives of people who work for the American people has been put at risk; the American people themselves have been put at risk by these actions that are, I believe, arrogant, misguided and ultimately not helpful in any way. We are doing everything that we can," Holder said Tuesday. "We have a very serious, active, ongoing investigation that is criminal in nature. I authorized just last week a number of things to be done so that we can hopefully get to the bottom of this and hold people accountable, as they -- as they should be."

In response to widespread criticism of the sex crime charges, a lawyer for the two Swedish women accusing Assange said the charges are in no way politically motivated and the woman are angry at that suggestion.

"They were attacked by Mr. Assange and then they are treated like perpetrators themselves," attorney Claes Borgstrom told ABC News. "He has molested them and then sacrificed them for his own interests."

One woman accused Assange of sexually coercing her twice in August, including one time when he allegedly "forcibly parted her legs, preventing her from moving... then had intercourse without a condom," according to prosecutors. The second woman claimed that Assange had unprotected sex with her while she slept.

Borgstrom told ABC News one of the women went to the hospital following one of the alleged attacks.

The timing of the arrest earlier this week led a Wikileaks spokesperson, Assange's lawyer Mark Stephens and hundreds of Assange's supporters to claim they were part of a political effort to marginalize the Wikileaks founder in the face of the massive document drop.

But Borgstrom said his clients were hardly against Wikileaks. Rather, the two were employed by Wikileaks and were in fact "admirers" of Assange's work.

"They want that there will be a trial so Julian Assange must answer to what he has done and so the world sees it's true and it really happened," Borgstrom said.

The accusations against Assange were previously dropped by one Swedish prosecutor before being picked up by another. When the accusations were read in a British court Tuesday, the judge said the case is "about serious sexual offenses on three separate occasions, involving two separate victims...extremely serious allegations."

Assange has denied the sex crimes charges and after his arrest, Stephens told ABC News Assange is ready "to vindicate himself and clear his good name."

Feeding the Abscess
12-10-2010, 10:12 AM
Welcome to the U.S.S.A.

Matt Collins
12-10-2010, 10:13 AM
According to The Judge, the person who leaked the documents to the media is the one who should be indicted. The media outlet is protected by the 1st Amendment.

Jordan
12-10-2010, 10:13 AM

Lucille
12-10-2010, 10:14 AM
Sickening.

ZH (http://www.zerohedge.com/article/assange-be-indicted-under-us-espionage-act): Very soon, we expect that every journalism degree will come with a free indictment of treason and a sentence of public stoning.

specsaregood
12-10-2010, 10:15 AM
He is being held in solitary confinement with restricted access to a phone and his lawyers, Robinson said.

This is guy is soooo gonna commit "suicide".

smartguy911
12-10-2010, 10:17 AM
At least this will give him some time to clear his mind and think in peace. I have no clue how they can indict him under the Espionage act. Makes no sense at all. He didn't steal those documents. He simply published them.

sailingaway
Sickening.

ZH (http://www.zerohedge.com/article/assange-be-indicted-under-us-espionage-act): Very soon, we expect that every journalism degree will come with a free indictment of treason and a sentence of public stoning.

I incline to think this. There is just SO MUCH data I don't feel like I conclusively have all the facts. From what I DO know, this is scary on a civil liberties front, however.

smartguy911

I think Assagne likes being alone. He is used to it.

specsaregood
12-10-2010, 10:20 AM
I think Assagne likes being alone. He is used to it.

I don't think you quite understood my comment. If I was him, the last thing I would want right now would be "alone" in detention. I'm sure they will have a problem with their video surveillance equipment in that cell as well.

Dr.3D
Shouldn't they also indict the CIA and the FBI under those same charges? I'm sure they have leaked some kind of information that would put another country in jeopardy.

Feeding the Abscess
I incline to think this. There is just SO MUCH data I don't feel like I conclusively have all the facts. From what I DO know, this is scary on a civil liberties front, however.

It's irrelevant what your fears are, with regards to the information contained in the cables. The 1st Amendment and the Supreme Court's defense of it trump the government - period. If Ellsburg can outright steal classified documents and skate, there is absolutely zero ground for a publisher to be under attack.

cswake
12-10-2010, 10:24 AM
I wonder what type of reaction this will generate from the world...

sailingaway
12-10-2010, 10:27 AM
It's irrelevant what your fears are, with regards to the information contained in the cables. The 1st Amendment and the Supreme Court's defense of it trump the government - period. If Ellsburg can outright steal classified documents and skate, there is absolutely zero ground for a publisher to be under attack.

I'm not sure, and legal issues aren't the only ones I'm thinking of. If someone, press or not, knowingly told someone out to murder someone where they were hiding, for example, it might be free speech, but I don't think it could be condoned, morally.

From what I know, I think our government is way out of line. I certainly don't like people jumping into this mindset without knowing more, themselves. But what if they came out with a fact, like that Assange had approached and bribed the leaker to release the info? That would be different. I'm against this, and VERY against this mindset of taking away civil liberties in a passion, and without thinking things through. I just say that because I think first amendment rights NEED to be protected, not because I have particular certainty about Assange's specific case.

charrob
12-10-2010, 10:28 AM
I don't think you quite understood my comment. If I was him, the last thing I would want right now would be "alone" in detention. I'm sure they will have a problem with their video surveillance equipment in that cell as well.

The prison Assange is in is in southwest Britain and was built in the 1600's : it's brutal, and they hold the most violent criminals there. (While I was driving yesterday morning I was listening to the Dianne Reim show and some lawyers she had on and they were discussing it. They said it's a place you or I couldn't even be in for 2 hours, let alone a week.)

angelatc
12-10-2010, 10:28 AM
Sickening.

Better yet, every "journalist" will have to be credentialed by the government. Annually.

Dr.3D
12-10-2010, 10:30 AM
Better yet, every "journalist" will have to be credentialed by the government. Annually.

That would definitely guarantee all journalists would be unbiased. :rolleyes:

angelatc
12-10-2010, 10:31 AM

I don't think so. That would make him a martyr. Better to paint him as an unlikeable guy who rapes women and is connected to George Soros. Look for pedophile allegations to emerge shortly.

Brooklyn Red Leg
12-10-2010, 10:31 AM
Welcome to Hell, folks. Its gonna get mighty bad around here if Assange is actually brought to the US and charged under The Espionage Act.

specsaregood
12-10-2010, 10:36 AM
I don't think so. That would make him a martyr. Better to paint him as an unlikeable guy who rapes women and is connected to George Soros. Look for pedophile allegations to emerge shortly.

History is replete with martyrs, it never stopped any of them from dying. I'm sure somebody somewhere is weighing whether making him a "martyr" is worth it because at the same time they would be making him an "example". just saying...

Feeding the Abscess
12-10-2010, 10:36 AM
I'm not sure, and legal issues aren't the only ones I'm thinking of. If someone, press or not, knowingly told someone out to murder someone where they were hiding, for example, it might be free speech, but I don't think it could be condoned, morally.

That's not the situation here.

But what if they came out with a fact, like that Assange had approached and bribed the leaker to release the info? That would be different.

Daniel Ellsberg.

PatriotOne
12-10-2010, 10:37 AM
Oh how original. Another MK Ultra victim sacrificed. in the meantime...

Rep. King (R-NY) introduces anti-WikiLeaks bill

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=272221

Created the problem using MK Ultra victim

Caused an uproar

Proposes the solution they wanted in the first place. The usual m.o.

cswake
12-10-2010, 10:39 AM

For efficiency and synergy, we can have such licenses administered by the Department of Truth Transparency to ensure that information is censored redacted by the Department of Defense.

angelatc
12-10-2010, 10:39 AM
Welcome to Hell, folks. Its gonna get mighty bad around here if Assange is actually brought to the US and charged under The Espionage Act.

I don't mind him getting charged, but I do worry about him getting convicted. THe guy who released The Pentagon Papers wasn't acquitted. The case was dismissed because of prosecutorial misconduct, and an all around botched case by the government, who claimed they had lost evidence.

I am not sure the courts still have morals.

puppetmaster
12-10-2010, 10:40 AM

As Americans we better stand up for this guy if and when he gets here.

fisharmor
12-10-2010, 10:43 AM
Welcome to the U.S.S.A.

Über Alles, baby.

It's astounding that there are still people out there who think that Osama hasn't already won. He was out to destroy America. He did. Game over.

PeacePlan
12-10-2010, 10:48 AM
If they are going to prosecute him don't they also need to prosecute the people at the Washington Post and some other newspapers that released the stuff he gave them. If they don't it will sure look like they are just after him.

tremendoustie
12-10-2010, 10:49 AM
This guy's a real canary in the coal mine as far as freedom of the press goes.

PeacePlan
12-10-2010, 10:49 AM
What he should do is encrypt the entire 250,000 cables and put them up for download via torrent so a million people have them.

cswake
12-10-2010, 10:50 AM
insurance.aes256

Fredom101
12-10-2010, 10:54 AM
Let's not forget, he's still got a card up his sleeve and that is the key leak about BofA. And don't forget, trying and hanging Assange will not stop Wikileaks, this is simply government knee-jerk power trip reactionary nonsense.

cswake
12-10-2010, 10:56 AM

I have these available for anyone who wants to use them (free of charge):

www.americansforassange.com
www.americansforassange.org

PeacePlan
12-10-2010, 10:56 AM
insurance.aes256

I already downloaded that but my understanding is that is just a small portion and may have info on banking and such? If it is only partial he should make the entire cables into a torrent is what I am suggesting. But if the insurance is all of it I already have it?

Is there any way that the insurance file can be cracked in case something happens to him and we never get the key?

Feeding the Abscess
12-10-2010, 10:57 AM
I already downloaded that but my understanding is that is just a small portion and may have info on banking and such? If it is only partial he should make the entire cables into a torrent is what I am suggesting. But if the insurance is all of it I already have it?

Is there any way that the insurance file can be cracked in case something happens to him and we never get the key?

That's the whole shebang.

puppetmaster
12-10-2010, 10:58 AM
Let's not forget, he's still got a card up his sleeve and that is the key leak about BofA. And don't forget, trying and hanging Assange will not stop Wikileaks, this is simply government knee-jerk power trip reactionary nonsense.

yes but it sends a message....the they are above the law.
The question is when do we stand up......?....next time or the next.....or will we?

PeacePlan
That's the whole shebang.

If so cool........ I have it.

Lucille

The fascists Dems have talked about that!

Meet The Man (and The Mustache) That Would Regulate Journalists in Michigan! (http://reason.com/blog/2010/06/03/meet-the-man-and-the-mustache)

Patterson, reports FishBowl NY, wants to pass a law that

would require license applicants to possess, among other things: 1) "Good moral character"; 2) a degree in journalism; and 3) three writing samples. In our experience, those first two "qualifications" are in no way preconditions to quality reporting. The third may be necessary, but is by no means sufficient.

In any case, Patterson has said that the existence of a license would not preclude unlicensed writers from reporting the news; sounds like he's more interested in putting a state seal of approval on certain organizations/individuals instead. His bill is a response to certain instances of reporting in which the writer has demonstrated a lack of understanding of the issues at hand.

cswake
12-10-2010, 10:59 AM
^ are they on record that it has BOA + the cables? BTW, experts say that file will never be opened without the key.

sailingaway
12-10-2010, 11:01 AM
Daniel Ellsberg.

I don't get that reference. The media didn't bribe him, that I am aware of. I just don't jump to conclusions when I don't know the facts. I'll defend our first amendment and civil liberties, but I don't know enough to specifically defend Assange. However our government does appear to be reacting out of embarrassment and control issues, not out of true peril for our country. And objecting to THAT falls under protecting our first amendment and civil liberties.

Travlyr
12-10-2010, 11:02 AM
I have these available for anyone who wants to use them (free of charge):

www.americansforassange.com
www.americansforassange.org

Sorry, the page you were looking for cannot be found

The page you are looking for might have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable.
Error: (DNS), click the back back button to try another link.

silentshout
12-10-2010, 11:09 AM

Most definitely.

cswake
12-10-2010, 11:11 AM
It needs to be forwarded somewhere - I'm offering the domains for free to anyone who wants to setup a website to "do something". I'd do it myself but already have my hands full with ronpaularchive.com (http://www.ronpaularchive.com).

Matt Collins
12-10-2010, 11:14 AM
And don't forget, trying and hanging Assange will not stop Wikileaks, this is simply government knee-jerk power trip reactionary nonsense.But they want to make an example out of the guy so that others will be deterred from doing such action.

coastie
12-10-2010, 11:30 AM
The accusations against Assange were previously dropped by one Swedish prosecutor before being picked up by another. When the accusations were read in a British court Tuesday, the judge said the case is "about serious sexual offenses on three separate occasions, involving two separate victims...extremely serious allegations."

And then they conveniently leave out that the judge made it clear the next day that he wanted to see that the Swedes had enough evidence for extradition and denial of bail, and granted another bail hearing I believe for next week on the 14th.:mad:

rp08orbust
12-10-2010, 12:12 PM

Not until he's been to Room 101 and confessed to all his sins.