PDA

View Full Version : Busted as Propaganda?: Taliban not responsible for girl who had her nose/ears cut off

amy31416
12-10-2010, 05:30 AM
It's a horrible story, to say the least, but it's looking like it wasn't initiated by the Taliban, but by her insane father/husband/father-in-law.

http://www.uruknet.info/?p=m72562&hd=&size=1&l=e

Of course, many folks won't accept the source, and instead will choose to believe Time Magazine's propaganda piece "subtly" keeping liberals pro-war.

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2010/12/08/world/AFGHAN/AFGHAN-articleLarge.jpg

Taliban not responsible for cutting Aisha's nose, ears: AIHRC
by Ahmad Omed Khpalwak

December 6, 2010

TIRINKOT (PAN): The Taliban were not behind the slicing off of a woman’s nose and ears in central Uruzgan province, chief of the human rights commission said on Monday.

The story of how Aisha Bibi, 19, was mutilated as punishment for running away from her abusive husband and in-laws a year ago caused an international outcry. She was given refuge by an Afghan non-governmental organization, and sent to the US for reconstructive surgery and psychological treatment.

Much of the western media blamed the Taliban for the brutal act, saying Aisha’s husband was a Taliban member and he and his father had orchestrated the punishment. The Taliban, however, denied any involvement.

On Monday, Abdul Ghaffar Stanakzay, head of the AIHRC in Uruzgan, also absolved the Taliban after what he said was a "thorough investigation of the case".

"This was because of domestic violence which Aisha fell victim to," he told reporters.

Aisha’s father in law, Sulaiman, was arrested last week. The provincial council chief, Juma Gul Himmat, said he had confessed to holding Aisha down while someone else cut her. But Suliaman denies ever confessing.

Sulaiman said Aisha had run away from his home four times.

"Once, police even arrested her in Kandahar," he said.

After the last time, he handed her back to her father, Mohammadzai.

"This was a stigma. I left the country and went to Pakistan," he said.

After that, Sulaiman claimed he had no information about how his daughter-in-law’s nose and ear were cut. However, he did not rule out his son, Qudratullah’s, involvement, or even Aisha’s father.

"I swear to God, Aisha's father asked me to kill her but I refused."

Mohammadzai, however, strongly denied he had ordered the killing of his own daughter.

He admitted he had sent Aisha back to her husband but said three days later, "I saw my daughter without a nose and ears".

He blamed Sulaiman for the attack and said he feared the law would not punish him.

"I have to leave the country because my life is at stake; Haji Sulaiman can be released anytime."

He asked the international community to bring his daughter back from the US to her own house in the province.

Mohammadzai also denied the Taliban's hand in the incident.

Aisha was 12 when she was married, below the legal minimum age of 16.

ss/cas

jmdrake
12-10-2010, 05:46 AM
Thanks for sharing this. Sad story. Sadder still that it was used for propaganda by our own media.

amy31416
12-10-2010, 06:39 AM
You're welcome. The sociopaths in our government will sink to, it seems, any level just to keep the war machine rolling.

It reminded me of the Nurse Nayirah propaganda (obviously some dramatic differences) from the first Gulf war. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nurse_Nayirah

It might be interesting/useful to have a list of confirmed propaganda carried out by our gov't to advance the warmongering.

ExPatPaki
12-10-2010, 08:00 AM
Wait, did some people here actually believe the Taliban did this? :rolleyes:

FrankRep
12-10-2010, 08:04 AM
It's a horrible story, to say the least, but it's looking like it wasn't initiated by the Taliban, but by her insane father/husband/father-in-law.

Every story I read about this said her father did it. Not the Taliban.

amy31416
12-10-2010, 10:28 AM
Wait, did some people here actually believe the Taliban did this? :rolleyes:

Every story I read about this said her father did it. Not the Taliban.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2010/10/13/130527903/bibi-aisha-disfigured-afghan-woman-featured-on-time-cover-visits-u-s

Promised to a Taliban fighter by her father when she was 12 to satisfy an obligation, Aisha was married at 14 and had been used as a servant and forced to sleep in an outbuilding with her in-laws' animals. When she fled their abuse, neighbors turned her in.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1319804/Afghan-girl-Bibi-Aisha-nose-ears-hacked-Taliban-rule-gets-new-face.html

An Afghan teenager who was horribly mutilated by her husband under Taliban rule was all smiles as she unveiled her new prosthetic nose for the first time.

http://www.allvoices.com/contributed-news/7530639-bibi-aisha-symbol-of-women-as-pawns-of-war

The local Taliban council declared that she should be punished. Punishment to be decided by her husband. She was taken to a deserted area where she was held down, her hair, then her ears, then her nose was cut off. She was left unconcious. She made her way to a women's shelter and relative safety.

http://www.time.com/time/world/article/0,8599,2007238,00.html

The Taliban pounded on the door just before midnight, demanding that Aisha, 18, be punished for running away from her husband's house. They dragged her to a mountain clearing near her village in the southern Afghan province of Uruzgan, ignoring her protests that her in-laws had been abusive, that she had no choice but to escape.

Yes. Many, many news outlets were either outright saying it was the Taliban, or implying it. If you need more sources, there's plenty.

angelatc
12-10-2010, 10:33 AM
Taliban or not, it is Islam. They all look alike from here.

In war-mongerworld, at least.

FrankRep
12-10-2010, 10:35 AM
amy31416,

The articles you posted say her father did it.

:rolleyes:

LudwigVonMisoSoup
12-10-2010, 10:40 AM
The most annoying part of this whole controversy was the headline on the cover of Time: What Happens If We Leave Afghanistan. Uh, this happened while we were occupying Afghanistan and we could do nothing to prevent such a thing. People do terrible things to other people all the time, but that does not justify an entire war over it.

If I recall, an Austrian man held his daughter captive in his basement for years, but we're not invading that country nor do we believe all Austrians act in that manner.

amy31416
12-10-2010, 11:02 AM
amy31416,

The articles you posted say her father did it.

:rolleyes:

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Can't you read? The articles connect the entire family to the Taliban and blame them.

What's your problem anyways? You don't think the gov't used it as pro-war propaganda to justify taking out more villages with any semblance of Taliban presence? Fine...we disagree.

Romulus
12-10-2010, 12:20 PM
Frank, its an obvious Taliban propaganda piece.

LibForestPaul
12-10-2010, 12:34 PM
Aisha was married at 14 and had been used as a servant and forced to sleep in an outbuilding with her in-laws' animals. When she fled their abuse, neighbors turned her in.

She was jailed briefly, and her father retrieved her and returned her to his in-laws, after being assured they would treat her better

A far more important part of this story is missing...

oyarde
12-10-2010, 01:18 PM
If they were taliban , would they not have to let the judgement be made by a higher level ?

oyarde
12-10-2010, 01:49 PM
taliban has rules , like Mao .