PDA

View Full Version : [Full Text] Bachus Announces Financial Services Leadership Team (Including Ron Paul)

MRoCkEd
12-09-2010, 10:47 AM
http://republicans.financialservices.house.gov/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1458&Itemid=43

December 9, 2010

WASHINGTON: Financial Services Committee Chairman-elect Spencer Bachus today announced his appointments for committee leadership positions in the 112th Congress. In addition to naming the vice chairman and subcommittee leaders, Bachus announced plans to modify subcommittee jurisdictions to promote a more efficient and balanced work-load for committee members.

"This is the leadership team that crafted the first comprehensive financial reform bill to put an end to the bailouts, wind down the taxpayer funding of Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac, and enforce a strong audit of the Federal Reserve," Bachus said. "By working together, we will honor our commitment to aggressive oversight, reform of the GSEs, and monitoring the implementation of the Dodd-Frank Act to ensure more jobs aren't lost to unnecessary regulations on community banks and businesses. We are ready to hit the ground running, and I look forward to continuing our work in the next Congress."

Bachus said the jurisdictional adjustments will augment the housing policy related subcommittee to include all insurance issues, formerly under the purview of the Capital Markets and Government Sponsored Enterprises Subcommittee. "Our first priority is to end the taxpayer funded bailout of Fannie and Freddie. This adjustment frees up more resources for the subcommittee chairmen and expands the jurisdictional mandate of the housing-related subcommittee to include insurance issues."

The 112th Congress Financial Services Committee Leadership is as follows:

Rep. Jeb Hensarling, Vice Chairman, Financial Services Committee

Rep. Judy Biggert, Chairman, Insurance, Housing and Community Opportunity

Jurisdiction: Insurance generally, housing, urban development, and the Department of Housing and Urban Development.

Rep. Shelley Moore Capito, Chairwoman, Financial Institutions Subcommittee

Jurisdiction: Banks and banking, depository institutions, federal deposit insurance, and safety and soundness.

Rep. Scott Garrett, Chairman, Capital Markets and Government-Sponsored Enterprises Subcommittee

Jurisdiction: Capital markets, securities, and government sponsored enterprises.

Rep. Ron Paul, Chairman, Domestic Monetary Policy Subcommittee

Jurisdiction: Domestic monetary policy, currency, precious metals, valuation of the dollar, economic stabilization, defense production, commodity prices, financial aid to commerce and industry.

Rep. Gary Miller, Chairman, International Monetary Policy Subcommittee

Jurisdiction: International monetary policy, international finance and banking, international financial and monetary organizations, including the IMF and World Bank, and the promotion of international trade in financial services.

Rep. Randy Neugebauer, Chairman, Oversight and Investigations Subcommittee

Jurisdiction: Oversight of all matters within the jurisdiction of the full Committee.

Sola_Fide
12-09-2010, 10:50 AM
Nice!

thrillhouse
12-09-2010, 11:44 AM
Financial aid to commerce and industry?

Lol, looks like commerce and industry won't be getting much financial aid.

acptulsa
12-09-2010, 11:46 AM
Niiiiiice! Defense production? Odd, but hey--still the right man for the job.

Lol, looks like commerce and industry won't be getting much MORE financial aid.

Fixed that for you :D

Inkblots
12-09-2010, 11:56 AM
Hot dog! It's about darn time.

Chester Copperpot
12-09-2010, 12:10 PM
whos to say TPTB dont have the fed funnel money to the IMF or world bank as a conduit and therefore then go thru the international monetary committee instead of the domestic committee?

Yieu
12-09-2010, 12:11 PM

Lol, looks like commerce and industry won't be getting much financial aid.

Does this mean he can stop future bailouts? :eek:

MRoCkEd
12-09-2010, 12:11 PM
whos to say TPTB dont have the fed funnel money to the IMF or world bank as a conduit and therefore then go thru the international monetary committee instead of the domestic committee?
Why would they do this through a congressional committee at all?

Vessol
12-09-2010, 12:12 PM
It's on like Donkey Kong! (please don't sue me Nintendo!)

Sola_Fide
12-09-2010, 12:14 PM

:)

Yieu
12-09-2010, 12:17 PM

Huh? You mean the part where Mario gets the hammer and starts destroying stuff? :D

invisible
12-09-2010, 12:34 PM
from the OP:

In addition to naming the vice chairman and subcommittee leaders, Bachus announced plans to modify subcommittee jurisdictions to promote a more efficient and balanced work-load for committee members.

This is the part I don't like, still leaves a lot of wiggle room for Ron to be shafted again. I get the feeling this battle is not yet over.

MRoCkEd
12-09-2010, 12:38 PM
^^ Yep, I noticed that. Not sure what it means.

Yieu
12-09-2010, 12:45 PM
I got a bad feeling about that line as well.

But, anyway...

In January, he will wield the gavel. In two years, he will wield the veto pen. :)

Bruno
12-09-2010, 12:46 PM
Drudge has it up already. :)

CableNewsJunkie
12-09-2010, 01:22 PM
My Thank You e-mail to Congressman Bachus

Dear Congressman Bachus,

Regarding the Subcommittee on Domestic Monetary Policy and Technology: I just wanted to take the time to Thank You for lending your support to Congressman Ron Paul.

Those of us in the broader grassroots liberty movement are aware that the economic outlook for America is not very bright for a whole host of reasons.

We acknowledge the difficulty and political pressure that public servants often face when it comes to maintaining the short-term status quo versus deciding to try something new with a longer-term outlook.

As it stands now, we know that monetary reform will not be easy. However, we are hopeful that as more people become knowledgable about why reform is needed, the necessary reforms will not seem as radical as they do at present.

I believe that modern technology affords us much more efficient means of conducting commerce than has existed at any point in history, and I believe that by combining the new with the old, we can build a much more stable monetary foundation from which to guide our economy.

I hope that you and your colleagues will choose to stand with us again in the future as we lobby for a gradual transition to a more stable economic and monetary system.

Thank You once again,

[Name]
[Location]

tsai3904
12-09-2010, 01:25 PM
He announced his modification plans in the third paragraph.

Bachus said the jurisdictional adjustments will augment the housing policy related subcommittee to include all insurance issues, formerly under the purview of the Capital Markets and Government Sponsored Enterprises Subcommittee. "Our first priority is to end the taxpayer funded bailout of Fannie and Freddie. This adjustment frees up more resources for the subcommittee chairmen and expands the jurisdictional mandate of the housing-related subcommittee to include insurance issues."

Bern
12-09-2010, 01:28 PM
Pretty sure the "Jurisdictions: " lines underneath each rep/position is supposed to delineate the new responsibilities. Anyone know what the previous ones were?

Seems like it has more responsibility now. The current description:

http://financialservices.house.gov/singlepages.aspx?NewsID=406

rich34
12-09-2010, 01:52 PM
How in the hell is my congresswoman (Capito) on that list and has only been in congress for about 10 years, yet Ron has been up there forever and can't buy a seat???? I know I know, but still....

economics102
12-09-2010, 02:35 PM
Since his name wasn't in bold, I just wanted to point out that Rep. Scott Garrett (overseeing Fannie/Freddie in this announcement) is also (I think) considered a friend of the liberty movement. He's a member of the Republican Liberty Caucus, and he's apparently well-liked enough that he spoke at the Webster Hall kickoff for Rand Paul in NYC along with Rand, Adam Kokesh, and Peter Schiff.

So that seems like a good thing as well.

Legend1104
12-09-2010, 10:07 PM
bump for awsomness

sailingaway
12-09-2010, 10:25 PM
from the OP:

This is the part I don't like, still leaves a lot of wiggle room for Ron to be shafted again. I get the feeling this battle is not yet over.

Me too. I'm concerned they are going to try to keep him from asking about agreements with foreign banks.

I wonder if they know that we read, and understand, the fine print?

Matt Collins
12-10-2010, 11:05 AM
YouTube - Bloomberg December 10 2010 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zbrRYOXl1U)