PDA

View Full Version : Westboro Baptist Church: We will picket Elizabeth Edward's Funeral

RestoreTheRepublic
12-09-2010, 10:09 AM
http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2010/12/09/westboro-baptist-church-says-it-will-picket-elizabeth-edwards-funeral/

I really hate this extended family of fanatics...but what can you do? They have the right to say whatever they please. Picketing funerals and disturbing the right of a family to mourn in peace is sickening.

Brett85
12-09-2010, 10:25 AM
Don't they have to stay a certain number of feet away from the funeral?

sparebulb
12-09-2010, 10:42 AM
There is an important technicality that seems to be lost in the media characterization of the Westboro people. These people express their views, as skewed as the are, from the public right of way, not on private property.

Deprive the Westboro bunch of their rights today, don't be surprised when you can't wear a Ron Paul button on your lapel while walking down the street tomorrow. You can't have this one both ways.

akforme
12-09-2010, 11:52 AM

In an ideal society they would have to find private land that allowed them to protest. I'm sure none of the people who owned around the funeral would let them. And if they did, they have a right to say whatever ignorant thing they want to say.

Chester Copperpot
12-09-2010, 11:55 AM
I wish these assholes would give it a rest.

specsaregood
12-09-2010, 11:56 AM
These people express their views, as skewed as the are....
What exactly do you find "skewed" about their views?

Rocco
12-09-2010, 11:57 AM
As disgusting as this is, the principled libertarian in me says allow it. But if I were John Edwards and this were my wife's funeral, I would gladly serve the jail time to crack these f*ckers heads open

Jordan
12-09-2010, 12:01 PM
As disgusting as this is, the principled libertarian in me says allow it. But if I were John Edwards and this were my wife's funeral, I would gladly serve the jail time to crack these f*ckers heads open

If John Edwards gave a shit about Elizabeth, he wouldn't have cheated on her.

/rant.

Rocco
12-09-2010, 12:02 PM
Ouch. True...still doesnt make it right.

If John Edwards gave a shit about her, he wouldn't have cheated on her.

/rant.

Jordan
12-09-2010, 12:03 PM
Ouch. True...still doesnt make it right.

Oh, I totally agree. Fuck the Westboro Baptist Church.

jmdrake
12-09-2010, 12:04 PM
Gotta love how the media tries to smear the antiwar movement any chance it gets.

The church members also oppose the War in Iraq.

I've not scene any evidence that these yahoos oppose the War in Iraq. Quite the contrary they hope it will go on so more soldiers can die as God's vengeance for gays. Or have I missed something?

Vessol
12-09-2010, 12:09 PM
They are just media whores. Like mushrooms. Give them less shit and they won't prosper.

LisaNY
12-09-2010, 12:35 PM

It depends on the state. Some states have laws that you can't protest within 500 feet of a funeral, some don't. I don't know if North Carolina has it, if not her supporters can arrange counter-protests or other activities to block WBC from the family's view.

TC95
12-09-2010, 12:53 PM
The church members also oppose the War in Iraq.

Oh, maybe that means I should change my anti-Iraq war stance since the Westboro group is against it. :rolleyes:

What's up with capitalizing the word "War" in that sentence? Do they revere war as holy or what?

bossman068410
12-09-2010, 01:05 PM
What foundation is funding these guys?

Aratus
12-09-2010, 01:16 PM
a very young local area bay state Ranger died recently, they were up here trying to find the memorial service...
if they are creatures of habit, are they now depressingly going down the coast
to N.C in time for any public or private service?

GreenCardSeeker
12-09-2010, 01:17 PM
What foundation is funding these guys?

The American legal system, they're lawyers.

Heimdallr
12-09-2010, 01:18 PM
http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2010/12/09/westboro-baptist-church-says-it-will-picket-elizabeth-edwards-funeral/

I really hate this extended family of fanatics...but what can you do? They have the right to say whatever they please. Picketing funerals and disturbing the right of a family to mourn in peace is sickening.

Who cares? Since when were they important?

Batman
12-09-2010, 01:19 PM
What does their protest have anything to do with her funeral?

Aratus
12-09-2010, 01:21 PM
odds are that joe biden or barack obama may attend ms. elizabeth edwards's funeral service...
the one very given thing about the lil ole group is that they are publicity hounds par excellence!

Aratus
12-09-2010, 01:22 PM
Batman --- if their singular theme is that society is totally falling apart around us,
the poor dear woman had a cheatin' hubbie... and yes, they are a fringe faction...

oyarde
12-09-2010, 04:47 PM

None .

Matt Collins
12-09-2010, 04:56 PM
Like mushrooms. Give them less shit and they won't prosper.:D:D:D:D:D

You made me belly laugh at that. Thanks! :cool:

oyarde
12-09-2010, 05:12 PM

They are irrational AND misguided for protesting strangers funerals who do not make policy that offends the beliefs they have , OR , they are just evil scum who are intentionally trying to provoke violence to profit from law suits , or , all of the above .

Pericles
12-09-2010, 05:17 PM
They are irrational AND misguided for protesting strangers funerals who do not make policy that offends the beliefs they have , OR , they are just evil scum who are intentionally trying to provoke violence to profit from law suits , or , all of the above .

All of the Above - did I win a prize?

oyarde
12-09-2010, 05:21 PM
All of the Above - did I win a prize?

Yep , buy you a beer anytime .

qh4dotcom
12-09-2010, 05:27 PM
Has it occurred to anyone that the soldier whose funeral is being picketed might have killed an innocent civilian in Iraq or Afghanistan?
No need to make a big deal about a murderer's funeral being picketed.
In Elizabeth's case, they should leave her alone.

Pericles
12-09-2010, 05:46 PM
Has it occurred to anyone that the soldier whose funeral is being picketed might have killed an innocent civilian in Iraq or Afghanistan?
No need to make a big deal about a murderer's funeral being picketed.
In Elizabeth's case, they should leave her alone.
Has it occurred to you that the soldier might have died while trying to save a kid from a firefight or trying to rescue another American?

Romulus
12-09-2010, 09:03 PM

They are the offspring of an mkultra acid cult experiment gone wrong.

oyarde
12-09-2010, 09:08 PM
They are the offspring of an mkultra acid cult experiment gone wrong.

I just thought they were regular Kansas Democrats like Sebelius . :)

Romulus
12-09-2010, 09:09 PM
Thats possible too lol.

osan
12-10-2010, 09:00 AM
[/URL][URL]http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2010/12/09/westboro-baptist-church-says-it-will-picket-elizabeth-edwards-funeral/ (http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2010/12/09/westboro-baptist-church-says-it-will-picket-elizabeth-edwards-funeral/)

They express their opinions. Their right to do so, but what sickness would drive them to do it? It is people such as these that give whatever group with which they identify themselves bad names. Many will see this and think, albeit erroneously, just how twisted and evil are christians.

sailingaway
12-10-2010, 09:07 AM

Explain to me why a funeral isn't private property?

Why don't these people just tattoo on their heads "We are the skuzziest skanks around!"

It should be a requirement for protesting funerals.

I think it is outrageous agression against an innocent family, not 'free speech'.

Freedom 4 all
12-10-2010, 09:46 AM
Not that anyone deserves to have these vultures anywhere near their funerals, but why her? Elizabeth Edwards was not a lesbian or a Jew. I don't think she was a particularly vocal supporter of the war either. These fuckers aren't even making a point about homosexuality anymore, they're just desperately seeking negative attention wherever they can find it and are wildly successful in this pursuit. Eventually, I'm pretty sure someone's going to smash their skulls in with a baseball bat in front of a thousand witnesses, and when that happens, no jury will convict him.