PDA

View Full Version : WikiLeaks climate change cables: the unanswered questions

tangent4ronpaul
12-09-2010, 07:24 AM
http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/damian-carrington-blog/2010/dec/08/wikileaks-climate-cables-questions

With the US and its counterparts frequently portrayed in an unflattering light in the cables and reluctant to talk, can you help get the answers to the questions raised?

The WikiLeaks climate cables I have reported over the past week have left some important questions unanswered. And no one is especially keen to do so, given that while the US often comes out worst in the cables, its foreign counterparts are rarely shown in a flattering light either.

I posted the very limited US and EU reactions yesterday which can be summarised thus:

• US – "no comment", except you can't ask for money and then accuse us of bribery
• EU – the US cables only report one side of the story (I've asked for the other side of the story)
• Bolivia, which vociferously opposes the Copenhagen Accord and is sharply criticised in the cables, responded strongly

Below are my key remaining questions, which I am sending to the relevant embassies and spokespeople. I will report back if and when I get replies. If you have other questions, let me know in the comments below. If you want to ask the same questions to the relevant authorities wherever you are, please do so and let me know how you get on. I'm on Twitter as @dpcarrington.

Spying at the United Nations

How has your country responded to being targeted by US spying at the UN?

Sent to the named target nations: Austria, Burkina Faso, China, Costa Rica, Croatia, France, Japan, Libya, Mexico, Russia, Turkey, Uganda, Vietnam

Reference: Section G (2) of this WikiLeaks cable

US aid to the Maldives

Has the Maldives received or been promised bilateral aid related to climate change from the US in 2010?

Reference: The Maldives had opposed the Accord but said it would support it while talking about $50m of climate aid with the US.

Dutch linkage of climate aid and support for the Accord

Did the Dutch government ask nations in receipt of Dutch financial aid to support the Copenhagen accord?

Reference: In this cable, US diplomats report that the Dutch climate negotiator Sanne Kaasjager "has drafted messages for embassies in capitals receiving Dutch development assistance to solicit support [for the accord]. This is an unprecedented move for the Dutch government, which traditionally recoils at any suggestion to use aid money as political leverage."

Saudi Arabia's audacious appeal for US help in "economic diversification"

Has Saudi Arabia received or been promised financial help from the US to assist with the kingdom's economic diversification?

Reference: The world's second biggest oil producer and one of the 25 richest countries in the world asked for US help which in return would "take the pressure off climate change negotiations"

US blocking of Iranian scientist from senior IPCC post

What action has Iran taken in response to the US blocking the appointment of Dr Mostafa Jafari to the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change?

Reference: The US "worked actively" to block the appointment of Dr Jafari, lobbying the IPCC chair, Rajendra Pachauri, and many nations. (I have also asked Dr Jafari and Prof Chris Field for comment.)

Germany loses renewable energy agency HQ to oil-rich UAE

Has or will Germany ask for the location of Irena's HQ to be reconsidered?

Reference: Cables in this story show how the United Arab Emirates used international security concerns to pressure the US to back its bid.