138 Total Delegates: 96 CD & 42 AL Primary: 3/9/04
Primary/Caucus/Convention State Convention: 6/5/04
Delegates bound for 3 ballots
Winner-take-all if over 50% in district or statewide;
w/20% threshold if not

Step 1 – Presidential Primary

Purpose: To allocate and bind national convention delegates and alternate
delegates based on the primary results.

Timing: 3/9/04: (Early Voting Program begins 2 weeks before)

Qualifications: Open primary. Deadline to register to vote is 30 days prior to
election.

Allocation: CD: A candidate receiving more than 50% of the votes in any congressional district is entitled to three (3) delegates and alternates from that congressional district. General Rules for all Conventions and Meetings Rule 38 § 8(a). If no candidate receives a majority of the votes in any congressional district the plurality winner is entitled to two (2) delegates and alternates from the district and the candidate receiving the next highest number of votes receives one (1) delegate and alternate; however, if the plurality winner receives more than 20% and the candidate with the next highest number of votes receives less than 20%, then the plurality winner is entitled to three (3) delegates and alternates. Id. § 8(b). If no candidate receives more than 20%, each of the three (3) candidates receiving the highest number of votes shall receive one (1) delegate and alternate. Id. § 8(c).

AL: A candidate receiving more than 50% of the votes statewide shall be entitled to all AL delegates and alternates. Id. § 9(a). If no candidate receives a majority, then the AL delegates and alternates are apportioned among the candidates receiving more than 20% of the statewide vote in the ratio which the number of votes received by each such candidate who received more than 20% of the statewide vote bears to the total of all such candidates receiving more than 20%, rounding fractional delegates and alternates upward to the next whole number beginning with the candidate receiving the largest
number of votes. Id § 9(b). If no candidate receives more than 20%, the AL delegates and alternates shall be apportioned among such candidates, beginning with the candidate receiving the highest number of votes and rounding fractional delegates and alternates upward to the next whole number, and then awarding delegates and alternates to the second highest candidate in the same manner, and so forth until the delegates and alternates to be apportioned have been fully awarded. Id. § 9(c).

Step 2 – Precinct Conventions

Purpose: To elect delegates and alternate delegates to the county/senatorial
district conventions.

Timing: 3/9/04

Qualifications: Candidates for county/senatorial district delegate must be affiliated
with the Republican Party and registered to vote in the precinct they seek to represent.6

Process: Each precinct elects a number of delegates and alternate delegates to the county/senatorial district conventions based on the number of votes cast for the Republican gubernatorial candidate in that precinct in the last gubernatorial election (1 delegate and 1 alternate for every 25 votes, or major fraction thereof).

Step 3 – County/Senatorial District Conventions

Purpose: To elect delegates and alternates to the state convention and the congressional district caucuses.

Timing: 3/27/04

Qualifications: Candidates for state convention delegate must be affiliated with the Republican Party and registered to vote in the county or senatorial district they seek to represent.

6 Rule 20 of the Convention & Meeting rules of the Republican Party of Texas states that all delegate
candidates must have voted in the Republican primary. The Texas Election Code, however, prohibits parties from imposing more stringent eligibility requirements than those provided by statute. See §§ 174.003 and 174.004.

Process: The number of delegates and alternate delegates elected by each county/senatorial district convention is based on the number of votes cast for Republican gubernatorial candidate in that county or senatorial district in the last gubernatorial election.

The committee on nominations for each county/senatorial district convention reports a list of delegates and alternate delegates for election to the state convention. Delegates and alternate delegates may be elected at-large or by precinct at the discretion of the convention.

Step 4 – Congressional District Caucuses

Purpose: To elect CD delegates and alternate delegates to the national convention, and to elect one person to serve on the national nominations committee at the state convention.

Timing: 6/5/04

Qualifications: Candidates for delegate to the national convention must have voted
in the Republican presidential primary in Texas and be qualified to be a delegate or alternate under the rules of the National Republican Party. Id. § 12.

Process: At the state convention, each congressional district caucuses and elects the three delegates and alternate delegates, which are bound to a candidate in accordance with the portion of the primary vote received by that candidate. Id. § 6(a)-(b). Delegates are nominated from the floor and are elected one at a time by majority vote. Id. § 6(b). Nominees must become pledged to the Presidential candidate on whose slate theywere nominated. Delegates are committed to that pledge for first three ballots at the national convention unless the delegate is released by death, withdrawal, or decision of candidate or if the candidate receives less than 20% of the total vote on the second ballot. Id. § 10(a)-(b).

Step 5 – State Convention

Purpose: To elect AL national convention delegates and alternate delegates

Qualifications: Candidates for delegate to the national convention must have voted
in the Republican presidential primary in Texas and be qualified to be a delegate or alternate delegate under the rules of the National Republican Party. Id. § 12.

Process: Each congressional district caucus meets at the state convention and elects one person to serve as a member to the National Nominations Committee. Id. § 7(a). The National Nominations Committee meets at the state convention to select nominees for all AL delegates and alternates. Id. § 7(b). The nominees are reported to the state convention. The report cannot be amended by the convention and is either confirmed or rejected. If rejected, the report is returned to the committee for revision then re-submitted to the convention. AL delegates and alternates are also bound by pledge provisions of § 10, as stated above. Id. § 7(c).

Step 6 – Certification of Delegates

Purpose: Filing of the credentials of the state delegation to the Secretary of the RNC.

Timing: 07/31/2004

Process: No later than thirty (30) days before the time set for the meeting of
the national convention, the credentials of each delegate and alternate
delegate shall be filed with the secretary of the Republican National
Committee for use by the secretary in making up the temporary roll
of the national convention (RNC Rule 18(c)).

Step 7 – Organizing Convention Delegation

Purpose: To select national convention delegation chairman and choose committee persons.
Timing: Promptly following selection of delegates.
Process: National Party Rules require the election of a delegation chairman, as well as one (1) man and one (1) woman for each of the four (4) Convention Committees, including: Committee on Resolutions (Platform), Committee on Credentials, Committee on Rules and Order of Business, and Committee on Permanent Organization. States are required to file notice with the RNC Secretary the selection of these committee members and their state delegation chairman. Alternate delegates may not serve as delegation chairman or as members of the convention committees (RNC Rules, Rule 40(a)).

Elector Selection

Purpose: To select presidential electors.
Process: At the state convention, the delegates from each Congressional district shall nominate one presidential elector and present it to the National Nominations Committee (NNC). The NNC selects two additional nominees. Each nominee for elector, prior to the report of the NNC, must file with the Chairman of the NNC an affidavit in writing as to his commitment to voting for the Republican Party’s nominees for President and Vice-President. The convention then elects the presidential electors. Rule 39.

Table of Authorities

General Rules for all Conventions and Meetings.

RTsquared
10-30-2007, 01:27 PM
I have just requested this information from the RP of Texas. Hopefully I will be able to post it here soon.

Bradley in DC
10-30-2007, 01:32 PM
I have just requested this information from the RP of Texas. Hopefully I will be able to post it here soon.

Thanks. If you don't get a response soon, remind them of the rules.

http://www.gop.com/About/AboutRead.aspx?AboutType=4&Section=16

RULE NO. 14
Participation
(a) The Republican National Committee shall assist the states in their efforts to inform all citizens as to how they may participate in delegate selection procedures. The states, in cooperation with the Republican National Committee, shall prepare instructive material on delegate selection methods and make it available for distribution.

RTsquared
11-08-2007, 08:38 AM
No answer as of yet.

Here's the second request I sent them for this info.

I submitted a request sometime last week for a copy of the national nominating convention delegate rules for Texas, and to this point I have yet to receive any response. It is my understanding that the National GOP rules require that you assist me in obtaining this information, specifically Rule 14(a):

RULE NO. 14
Participation
(a) The Republican National Committee shall assist the states in their efforts to inform all citizens as to how they may participate in delegate selection procedures. The states, in cooperation with the Republican National Committee, shall prepare instructive material on delegate selection methods and make it available for distribution.

Please respond with this information at your earliest convenience.

Thank you for your time.

Bradley in DC
11-08-2007, 08:42 AM
No answer as of yet.

Here's the second request I sent them for this info.

I submitted a request sometime last week for a copy of the national nominating convention delegate rules for Texas, and to this point I have yet to receive any response. It is my understanding that the National GOP rules require that you assist me in obtaining this information, specifically Rule 14(a):

RULE NO. 14
Participation

Please respond with this information at your earliest convenience.

Thank you for your time.

Well done. I some places the problem is just finding the right person. Call and ask for the legal counsel and get their contact info. If they have a website that takes comments, or blogs or something, post the question (RESPECTFULLY ;)) there.

RTsquared
11-08-2007, 09:11 AM
Here is the response I just got from the state party:

--- JXXXXXXXXX GXXXXXXXXXXXXX <email deleted> wrote:

> Subject:
> Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2007 09:00:01 -0600
> From: "JXXXXXXXXXX GXXXXXXXXXXX" <email deleted>
> To: <My e-mail address>
>
> If you go to the website at www.texasgop.org
> <http://www.texasgop.org/>
> and click on get involved there is a place to go to How to become a
> Delegate to Conventions. I am sorry that no one has got back to you
> about your request but unfortunately any one who can get that
> information for you will be out of the office till Monday. I will be
> happy to find the information and send it to you as soon as possible.
> Have a nice day.
>
> JXXXXXXXXXXX GXXXXXXXXXXXXX
>
>
> Receptionist
> Republican Party of Texas

<additional snippage>

I'm encouraged to know that someone got my message and is working on it. Hopefully I can update everyone on this by the middle of next week.

wealeat
11-13-2007, 06:10 AM
Did you get a response, yesterday?

RTsquared
11-13-2007, 01:24 PM
Did you get a response, yesterday?

No response yesterday - and I was not in a position to press the issue. I've had some in-law obligations over the past few days, so I've been out of the loop a bit.

I just e-mailed the person I've been in contact with at the Texas GOP requesting an update (and probably reminding her that I still exist). As soon as I know anything, the forums will know it.

Thanks for reminding me to check up on this. Busy weekend here...

wealeat
11-13-2007, 02:05 PM
Thanks for pushing for the info. I am going to go talk to my local voters office sometime this week to see if I can find out any info.

RTsquared
11-14-2007, 10:28 AM
2008 Texas Presidential Primary and Delegate Selection Rules

Primary Election Date: March 4, 2008

# of delegates selected by congressional district: 96
Texas RNC members: 3
# of delegates selected at large: 41
Total # of delegates: 140
Total # of alternates: 137

Presidential Primary – Filing for a Place on the Ballot

Filing: Any person eligible to hold the office of President of the United States may qualify to participate as a Presidential candidate in the presidential primary by filing with the Secretary of the SREC, not later than 6:00 p.m. January 2 preceding the primary, a signed and acknowledged application for his or her name to be placed on the Presidential Primary ballot, accompanied by a supporting petition signed by a minimum of 300 registered voters of the state from each of a minimum of 15 Congressional Districts, or the payment of a filing fee of $5,000.

Signing Petition: A voter may sign only one petition supporting one candidate for President and may sign that petition only one time. The name of any voter violating this provision shall be stricken from all petitions signed by that voter and shall not be counted for any purpose.

Delegate Selection Process

The number of delegates Texas is allowed to sent to the national convention is set according to Republican National Committee rules. These delegates are chosen by two separate means: delegates chose by their congressional district caucus and those selected to be at-large delegates by the entire convention.

Each congressional caucus district shall meet and shall elect three district delegates and three alternates. Any delegate may make a nomination as long as the person nominated agrees to the pledge in the RPT Rule 38, Section 10.

Each congressional caucus will also elect one person to serve on the National Nominations Committee. This committee meets on the last day of the state convention. They will hear testimony from individuals interested in attending the national convention. Then, they will discuss and debate and begin the process of creating a slate of statewide at-large delegates and alternates. The slate approved by the committee is to be presented to the full convention and must be accepted or rejected as a whole. No amendments may be offered from the floor.

Allocation Procedure

Congressional District Delegates – Allocated according to primary vote in CD

For the purpose of determining the entitlement to district delegates and alternates by candidates, the provisions of this section shall apply as follows:
a. More than 50% of Vote Received by Candidate: A candidate receiving more than fifty percent (50%) of the votes in any Congressional district shall be entitled to three (3) delegates and alternates from that Congressional district.
b. No Candidate Receives Majority of Vote: If no candidate receives a majority of the votes in any Congressional district the plurality winner is entitled to two (2) delegates and alternates from that district and the candidate receiving the next highest number of votes receives one (1) delegate and alternate; provided, however, that if the plurality winner receives more than twenty percent (20%) and the number of votes received by the next highest candidate is less than twenty percent (20%), the plurality winner is entitled to three (3) delegates and alternates.
c. No Candidate Receives 20% of Vote: If no candidate receives more than twenty percent (20%), each of the three (3) candidates receiving the highest number of votes shall receive one (1) delegate and alternate.

At Large Delegates – Allocated according to primary vote statewide

For the purpose of determining the entitlement to at-large delegates and alternates by candidates, the provisions of this section shall apply, as follows:
a. More than 50% of Vote Received by Candidate: A candidate receiving more than fifty percent (50%) of the votes cast in the Presidential Primary canvassed on a statewide basis shall be entitled to all at-large delegates and alternates allocated to Texas under the Rules of the National Republican Party.
b. No Candidate Receives Majority of Vote: If no candidate receives a majority of the votes cast statewide in the Presidential Primary, then the at-large delegates and alternates shall be apportioned among the candidates receiving more than twenty percent (20%) of the statewide vote in the ratio which the number of votes received by each such candidate who received more than twenty percent (20%) of the statewide vote, bears to the total of all such candidates receiving more than twenty percent (20%) of the statewide vote, rounding fractional delegates and alternates upward to the next whole number beginning with the candidate receiving the largest number of votes.
c. No Candidate receives 20% of Vote: If no candidate receives more than twenty percent (20%), the at-large delegates and alternates shall be apportioned among such candidates, beginning with the candidate receiving the highest number of votes and rounding fractional delegates and alternates upward to the next whole number, and then awarding delegates and alternates to the second highest candidate in the same manner, and so forth until the delegates and alternates to be apportioned have been fully awarded.

Bradley in DC
11-14-2007, 10:34 AM
Excellent, job. Well done!

RTsquared
11-14-2007, 10:38 AM
I also sent her a note asking about the date of the county/senatorial conventions and if there was any info I would need before the precinct convention.

2008 Texas Presidential Primary and Delegate Selection Rules

Primary Election Date: March 4, 2008

# of delegates selected by congressional district: 96
Texas RNC members: 3
# of delegates selected at large: 41
Total # of delegates: 140
Total # of alternates: 137