PDA

View Full Version : Stefan Molyneux weighs in on Wikileaks

Fredom101
12-08-2010, 04:18 PM
Great video. Just like many are saying here, follow the money:

YouTube - True News: The Truth About Wikileaks (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AV5N_2nuYzY&feature=sub)

dannno
12-08-2010, 04:38 PM
Don't shoot the messenger!!

Great points!

dannno
12-08-2010, 04:40 PM
Oh, and in the last 50 seconds he asks for a Christian (leader? like Beck?) to come out and condemn the masters and praise wiki leaks, he said he hasn't seen one..

Did he see Ron Paul's speech before congress on wikileaks?

jmdrake
12-08-2010, 04:43 PM
Good video. But Stephan should know that Christian Ron Paul has condemned the attacks on Assange.

jmdrake
12-08-2010, 04:45 PM
Oh, and in the last 50 seconds he asks for a Christian (leader? like Beck?) to come out and condemn the masters and praise wiki leaks, he said he hasn't seen one..

Did he see Ron Paul's speech before congress on wikileaks?

Ya beat me to it. :D And I'm guessing this video was made before Beck kinda-sorta defended Assange. (The video predicted the charges against Assange would be brought back up. Beck pointed out how bogus these rape charges are. And no, I still don't trust Beck.)

lester1/2jr
12-08-2010, 04:59 PM
does he still want people to kill their parents

Andrew-Austin
12-08-2010, 05:13 PM
does he still want people to kill their parents

Yes, he still does not advocate anything like that.

lester1/2jr
12-08-2010, 05:19 PM
he has some weird scientological view of parenting

StilesBC
12-08-2010, 05:28 PM

No he doesn't. He simply believes people become autonomous decision makers at a younger age than our government does.

Chieppa1
12-08-2010, 05:30 PM
No he doesn't. He simply believes people become autonomous decision makers at a younger age than our government does.

Say its not true!

Baptist
12-08-2010, 05:32 PM
Beck is a Mormon not a Christian. Muslims are more "Christian" than Beck.

There are tons of Christians on these boards who support what Wikileaks is doing. Stefan was on Alex Jones show the other day. Jones claims to be a Christian and supports Wikileaks. The guy in the video is just a militant atheist.

Andrew-Austin
12-08-2010, 05:42 PM

His view seems to be that if parents or family members are abusive physically or emotionally, then one is perfectly justified in getting and staying the fuck away from them. His stance is just that all relationships should be voluntary. Obviously kids are dependent, so he urges parents not to abuse their position.

jmdrake
12-08-2010, 05:45 PM

That's true. He believes that all social ills come from child abuse and that 100% of parents were child abusers before anti child abuse laws went into effect. Which begs the question, why does someone who almost always takes the position that laws are the problem seem to think that laws are the solution when it comes to child abuse? (Admittedly I haven't seen all of his videos. He may have laid out a "voluntary" solution to fighting child abuse and I just haven't seen it.)

lester1/2jr
12-08-2010, 05:47 PM
I'm not dissing him or hijacking the thread, I just remember watching one of his vids and being like huh? when that stuff came up.

heavenlyboy34
12-08-2010, 06:02 PM
Don't shoot the messenger!!

Great points!

That ^^ and "Don't blame the victim" are important messages stressed in the vid.

heavenlyboy34
12-08-2010, 06:05 PM

There are tons of Christians on these boards who support what Wikileaks is doing. Stefan was on Alex Jones show the other day. Jones claims to be a Christian and supports Wikileaks. The guy in the video is just a militant atheist.

true. That's one of the things I don't like about him-his strand of atheism leads to collectivism and generally rude behavior.

dannno
12-08-2010, 06:41 PM
I'm not dissing him or hijacking the thread, I just remember watching one of his vids and being like huh? when that stuff came up.

Try this one instead:

YouTube - True News 13: Statism is Dead - Part 3 - The Matrix (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P772Eb63qIY)

Despite what HB just said in his last post, I'm pretty sure this vid makes him jiz his pants ;)

ClayTrainor
12-08-2010, 06:56 PM

Actually I'm pretty sure he was talking about "religious leaders", and I'm sure he's more than aware that many individual Christians support wikileaks efforts, like Ron Paul. I bet he even has some on his forum.

ClayTrainor
12-08-2010, 06:58 PM
true. That's one of the things I don't like about him-his strand of atheism leads to collectivism and generally rude behavior.

That's nonsense in the bold, unless you are asserting that any form of "ism" can lead to collectivism.

And I think his articulation of his atheist position is anything but rude. He even has open debates on the topic, where the audience and his opponent laughs and jokes with him, regardless of there being a philosophical disagreement or not.

YouTube - Against the Gods? Atheism Versus Agnosticism: The Great Debate (Hour 1) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EaOvOEpvlHg)

There is no demonstratable evidence that can prove god to be true, anymore than there is for unicorns. He's consistent with this position, and those with "faith" will maybe find that his ardent consistency is rude... but I think that emotional response is related cognitive dissonance more than anything.

Fredom101
12-08-2010, 06:59 PM
Good video. But Stephan should know that Christian Ron Paul has condemned the attacks on Assange.

RP may be a Christian, but he's not typically speaking in the name of Christianity. His speech had nothing to do with religion.

jmdrake
12-08-2010, 08:50 PM
RP may be a Christian, but he's not typically speaking in the name of Christianity. His speech had nothing to do with religion.

Well neither Palin, Huckabee, Limbaugh nor Beck were "speaking in the name of Christianity" when they called for Assange's head. (Actually I never heard Beck called for Assange's head and I've actually seen Beck defend Assange. But I'm willing to take Stephan's word for it.) It's unfair to stress the Christianity of people who aren't Christian leaders but speak against Assange and then turn around and ignore the Christianity of people who speak for Assange.

dannno
12-08-2010, 09:20 PM

Muslims are probably more Christian than most Christians, but as far as Christian religions go, Mormonism is the most logical.

I don't understand people who say Mormons aren't Christians, and I've had a lot of arguments with them and they don't make any sense. I remember Jesus saying that he had other sheep that are not of this fold that he had to go talk to, I don't remember him saying that nobody else would record his visit.

Baptist
12-08-2010, 10:21 PM
Danno,

Mormons are not Christian because Jesus is just another dude to them. To Christians, Jesus is not just another dude, or just another prophet. To Christians, putting your faith in Jesus alone is the only way to obtain salvation and entrance into Heaven. Jesus is THE dude.

Clay,
I should not have called him a militant atheist. I have not seen a video of him, or read writings of him, being a militant atheist. I was simply going off what I read the other day when I spent 30 minutes Googling the dude. Different websites were stating that he is very anti-religion and very hostile to Christians. However, I have not seen him behave in this manner so it was wrong for me to say that.

I never heard of this guy until a few days ago when he was on Alex Jones. I was very impressed with the interview, and have been passing around his Slavery video for months. Even if he turns out to be hostile to religious types like me, I still plan on reading his stuff and watching his vids because he articulates the case for anarchy really well.

heavenlyboy34
12-08-2010, 10:28 PM
That's true. He believes that all social ills come from child abuse and that 100% of parents were child abusers before anti child abuse laws went into effect. Which begs the question, why does someone who almost always takes the position that laws are the problem seem to think that laws are the solution when it comes to child abuse? (Admittedly I haven't seen all of his videos. He may have laid out a "voluntary" solution to fighting child abuse and I just haven't seen it.)

I've never heard him argue for laws regarding that. He argues against government codes of law, in my experience. He does, however, argue that parents should be respectful, not abuse their children physically/mentally, etc.

tremendoustie
12-08-2010, 10:41 PM
I never heard of this guy until a few days ago when he was on Alex Jones. I was very impressed with the interview, and have been passing around his Slavery video for months. Even if he turns out to be hostile to religious types like me, I still plan on reading his stuff and watching his vids because he articulates the case for anarchy really well.

He's pretty strongly anti-religion, but I wouldn't characterize him as hostile towards actual individuals who are religious.

He also seems to take a pretty dim view of parents who don't "get it", or relationships with non liberty oriented people in general.

Other than that, I also find him very articulate and intelligent. With a couple reservations, I like his work very much.

jmdrake
12-08-2010, 10:49 PM
I've never heard him argue for laws regarding that. He argues against government codes of law, in my experience. He does, however, argue that parents should be respectful, not abuse their children physically/mentally, etc.

True. That's why I said seems to think. He didn't argue for such laws, but made the bold (and unsubstantiated claim in my opinion) that prior to anti child abuse laws 100% of parents were abusive. I don't think that's true, although he might have some wildly broad definition of "abuse". But more importantly, since there were voluntarists before the 1800s (the time period he mentions) and since I'm sure at least some of these voluntarists were against child abuse, wouldn't some of them have been able to prevent at least 1 instance of child abuse without resorting to laws? Anyway, that's totally off the subject. I think it was a good video.

BamaAla
12-08-2010, 11:04 PM
Good video even if Stefan is quite the polarizing figure.

crazyfacedjenkins
12-08-2010, 11:05 PM

Collectivism?? Christianity is the epitome of collectivism, don't you remember sky man calls you sheep and you do as he tells you? One big collection of conformist sheep.

The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want.
He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters.

Wesker1982
12-08-2010, 11:07 PM
Which begs the question, why does someone who almost always takes the position that laws are the problem seem to think that laws are the solution when it comes to child abuse?

Source?

tremendoustie
12-08-2010, 11:10 PM
Collectivism?? Christianity is the epitome of collectivism, don't you remember sky man calls you sheep and you do as he tells you? One big collection of conformist sheep.

The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want.
He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters.

Wow, that's ironic (and ignorant).