PDA

View Full Version : House votes 402-1 to honor Chinese dissident. Guess who voted no.

RonPaulFanInGA
12-08-2010, 02:43 PM
http://hotair.com/headlines/archives/2010/12/08/house-vote-402-1-to-honor-chinese-dissident-guess-who-voted-no/

Rocco
12-08-2010, 02:56 PM
My question is...why?

malkusm
12-08-2010, 02:57 PM
My question is...why?

I don't really care. I wish they'd vote on absolute nonsense and B.S. "resolutions" 24/7/365.

TCE
12-08-2010, 02:58 PM
My question is...why?

Ron has stated that he always votes no on these because it is none of our business. We have enough going on with the controversy surrounding Gitmo and other internal unconstitutional dealings and we have no justification attacking another government for no reason. He also is against most of the little details they put into these bills. Usually they throw in something about the UN.

FrankRep
12-08-2010, 02:59 PM
http://www.thenewamerican.com/images/stories/AP-3-2010/liux-ap.001.jpg
Liu Xiaobo

Liu Xiaobo, co-author of Charter 08, was arrested two days before that freedom manifesto was published on December 10th, 2008, and was sentenced on Christmas Day 2009 to eleven years in prison for “inciting subversion of state power.” by Bob Adelmann

Chinese "Dissident" Receives Nobel Peace Prize for Supporting US Constitutional Principles (http://www.thenewamerican.com/index.php/world-mainmenu-26/asia-mainmenu-33/4896-chinese-qdissidentq-receives-nobel-peace-prize-for-supporting-us-constitutional-principles)

Bob Adelmann | The New American (http://www.thenewamerican.com/)
14 October 2010

Rocco
12-08-2010, 03:00 PM
Ahh...gotcha. Ron generally has a good reason, i just didnt know what it was in this case. And spelled out like this, I agree, there is no reason to piss off the Chinese government like this for no reason. War Ron :D

Ron has stated that he always votes no on these because it is none of our business. We have enough going on with the controversy surrounding Gitmo and other internal unconstitutional dealings and we have no reason to attack another government for no reason. He also is against most of the little details they put into these bills. Usually they throw in something about the UN.

LatinsforPaul
12-08-2010, 03:01 PM
In a speech on June 25, 2003, criticizing giving Prime Minister of the United Kingdom Tony Blair a Congressional Gold Medal of Honor, Paul said, “These medals generally have been proposed to recognize a life of service and leadership, and not for political reasons — as evidenced by the overwhelming bipartisan support for awarding President Reagan, a Republican, a gold medal. These awards normally go to deserving individuals, which is why I have many times offered to contribute $100 of my own money, to be matched by other members, to finance these medals.”[80] He has also been criticized for being the only dissenting vote against giving Pope John Paul II, Rosa Parks, and Mother Teresa the medal. The medals and ceremonies held to bestow them on recipients are expensive. Texas Monthly awarded him the “Bum Steer” award for voting against a congressional honor for cartoonist Charles Schulz, but also noted, “When he was criticized for voting against the [Parks] medal, he chided his colleagues by challenging them to personally contribute $100 to mint the medal. No one did. At the time, Paul observed, ‘It's easier to be generous with other people's money.’"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Political_positions_of_Ron_Paul

gls
12-08-2010, 03:01 PM
Ron probably just assumed this guy is a purveyor of endless war and mass murder just like last year's Nobel Peace Prize winner, lol...

Vessol
12-08-2010, 03:02 PM
This isn't praising a Chinese dissident, it's giving the Chinese government the middle finger.

The United States cares nothing about freedom in China or anywhere else.

surf
12-08-2010, 03:07 PM
This isn't praising a Chinese dissident, it's giving the Chinese government the middle finger.

perhaps the best interpretation thus far. winner

bunklocoempire
12-08-2010, 04:59 PM

Publicly giving the middle finger. Privately it's pats on the back.

(Pure speculation on my part.);)

Nice job Ron!:)

Bunkloco

awake
12-08-2010, 05:01 PM
So if they awarded the Nobel to Assange would this go over?

kahless
12-08-2010, 05:13 PM
Taking a guess, maybe Ron is against wasting the taxpayers money with these resolutions and that congress should be focused on other things.

RM918
12-08-2010, 05:15 PM
They released a statement saying he voted against it on foreign policy grounds, I can't remember where I saw it.

Heimdallr
12-08-2010, 05:19 PM
Personally, I think he should have just abstained. Idk, this kind of generates a bit more publicity, but can also send the wrong message.

Chieppa1
12-08-2010, 05:22 PM
Personally, I think he should have just abstained. Idk, this kind of generates a bit more publicity, but can also send the wrong message.

If the masses don't get that this isn't the business of our Congress to be even voting on this crap, then really, their completely useless.

EDIT: And ironicly, I'm pretty sure the Nobel winner they are "honoring" would respect and understand Paul's vote, since he's more in step with our Constitutional beliefs then the over 400 Reps that just voted.

amy31416
12-08-2010, 05:37 PM
So if they awarded the Nobel to Assange would this go over?

A consistent view is a consistent view. I wouldn't have any problem with it, even if I thought that Assange was the next Jesus Christ.