PDA

View Full Version : State goons enter private property and wipe out herd of deer

Justinjj1
12-08-2010, 02:12 PM
This happened right down the road from me, and it is something I find completely infuriating.

Apparently, a deer breeder brought in an "undocumented" deer from out of state and put it with his herd. Texas wildlife officials got wind of it, and sent thugs out to the property and wiped out the guy's entire herd and put him in jail.

The state claims that the undocumented deer could have a disease, so they have the right to wipe out the entire herd, because in Texas "All deer in the state of Texas belong to the State of Texas."

http://www.wfaa.com/news/texas-news/Who-owns-all-deer-in-Texas-You-may-be-surprised-111499214.html

hazek
12-08-2010, 02:19 PM
You can't be serious? "All deer in the state of Texas belong to the State of Texas." ?!?

chuckasomas
12-08-2010, 02:26 PM
so all the Kings men came and poached the Kings deer? Is this Texas or 13th century England?

Bern
12-08-2010, 02:33 PM
Why are deer seen differently in the eyes of the law than cattle?

fisharmor
12-08-2010, 02:37 PM
so all the Kings men came and poached the Kings deer? Is this Texas or 13th century England?

http://www.bahs.org.uk/40n2a2.pdf

Just got done perusing this.
In 13C England, there were royal parks somewhat dedicated to deer hunting, and there were also privately owned deer parks.
It's a confusing subject so far because the deer were considered feral, but there is obvious evidence that they were being managed (including, I might add, bringing in outside deer.)
The ownership of the deer seems to be in question, but the owner of the park had legal recourse in local courts when it came to poachers.

I found a reference to the King being able to prevent private park owners from hunting deer in their parks for periods, but only if the park was adjacent or too near a royal park - therefore protecting the king's deer from being accidentally hunted.

It does not seem to be within the realm of possibility for a 13th century English king to enter a private deer park and slaughter all deer within that park.

fisharmor
12-08-2010, 02:40 PM
Why are deer seen differently in the eyes of the law than cattle?

Do you need to ask?
Because deer farming is a business which nets less as an industry than some individual cattle ranches do on one drive.
The state has the ability to fuck this guy, so they did it.
I haven't asked questions about this sort of thing in a long time. If they can do it, they're going to.

Vessol
12-08-2010, 02:44 PM
So..why are there no environmentalists all over this?

TonySutton
12-08-2010, 02:47 PM
Sounds to me like someone used the state to remove competition. Where did the complaint originate? I bet we will hear it was an anonymous tip.

Justinjj1
12-08-2010, 02:54 PM
To make matters worse, the TPWD "sharpshooters" did a terrible job at killing the deer. They used .22's instead of deer rifles and it took all day to round up the wounded and finish killing them. Here's another article on it, but leaves out a lot of details.

http://www.lsonews.com/hunting-news/1421-bill-miller

Bern
12-08-2010, 03:00 PM
Seems that the difference with respect to the law is that deer are not domesticated:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Domestication

Vessol
12-08-2010, 03:01 PM
Wow, they just buried them? They didn't even use the fucking meat!?

fisharmor
12-08-2010, 03:05 PM
Seems that the difference with respect to the law is that deer are not domesticated:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Domestication

So, that means there are no fish farms in Texas, I take it.

Wow, they just buried them? They didn't even use the fucking meat!?

Not sure I'd eat meat that was riddled with unjacketed rounds and allowed to bleed out over several hours.

tremendoustie
12-08-2010, 03:06 PM
You can't be serious? "All deer in the state of Texas belong to the State of Texas." ?!?

We and all our property belong to them, as far as they're concerned. They just don't usually like to say it in so many words.

nate895
12-08-2010, 03:07 PM

Lest not forget that the Magna Carta was written and adopted in 13th century England because of this type of BS.

payme_rick
12-08-2010, 03:41 PM
Hell, a deer can destroy the front-end of my truck, but in Texas if I want to take it home because the damage to the meat seems minimal or even take the antlers off of the thing as it lay dead and pretzel-legged on the shoulder of the road it's a HUGE crime!

It's crazy... But all wildlife management in the US seems to be going this way...

pcosmar
12-08-2010, 03:47 PM
Hell, a deer can destroy the front-end of my truck, but in Texas if I want to take it home because the damage to the meat seems minimal or even take the antlers off of the thing as it lay dead and pretzel-legged on the shoulder of the road it's a HUGE crime!

It's crazy... But all wildlife management in the US seems to be going this way...

Everything the government manages,, it manages to death.
:(

Dr.3D
12-08-2010, 03:52 PM
~snip
"All deer in the state of Texas belong to the State of Texas."
~snip

If this is true, then people should know who to sue when one of those state owned deer gets in the road and wrecks their car.

oyarde
12-08-2010, 04:05 PM
So, that means there are no fish farms in Texas, I take it.

Not sure I'd eat meat that was riddled with unjacketed rounds and allowed to bleed out over several hours.

Meh , it will be ok . :)

VBRonPaulFan
12-08-2010, 04:16 PM
If this is true, then people should know who to sue when one of those state owned deer gets in the road and wrecks their car.

good way to turn it around on them ;)

james1906
12-08-2010, 09:23 PM

No, then you would damage government property and be labeled a terrorist.

Dr.3D
12-08-2010, 09:27 PM
But that wouldn't work for me if my dog if he got out in the road and somebody ran over him.
Humm.... seems the state can do no wrong.

oyarde
12-08-2010, 09:27 PM

DHS will have a special wildlife terrorist squad named after some poisonous snake to take care of the offenders .

oyarde
12-08-2010, 09:29 PM
If I recall , in Texas you are responsible for damages if your livestock is in road . Most places , it would go to your auto ins .

Dr.3D
12-08-2010, 09:32 PM
DHS will have a special wildlife terrorist squad named after some poisonous snake to take care of the offenders .

Yeah, they'll send the Rattlers after them.

ivflight
12-09-2010, 05:08 AM
All your deer are belong to us.

oyarde
12-09-2010, 06:11 PM
All your deer are belong to us.

You read my mind .

Kilrain
12-09-2010, 07:00 PM
Hang on, a deer was brought in from another state, right? If the deer was considered property in that other state, how could Texas assume ownership once it crossed the state line? That's got to violate some federal statute. What's even the point of having a country if you can't have free flow of goods and services? :confused:

"Ah, you brought that TV across the state line. Now it belongs to the state."

oyarde
12-09-2010, 07:19 PM
Hang on, a deer was brought in from another state, right? If the deer was considered property in that other state, how could Texas assume ownership once it crossed the state line? That's got to violate some federal statute. What's even the point of having a country if you can't have free flow of goods and services? :confused:

"Ah, you brought that TV across the state line. Now it belongs to the state."

I did not realize how many TV's the state might own :) . Actually , lots of states have weird wildlife laws . Some of them were to prevent spread of disease .

mrsat_98
12-09-2010, 07:21 PM

I discussed this with a very trusted friend, game warden and customer from Louisiana several years ago. he put it like this.

"The constitution is a trust between the government and the people, the people came together created the state and have have left. It is our duty to protect the wildlife in order that there will be wildlife left in the event the people ever return."

He was straight to the point, didn't say he liked it just that that is the way it was.