PDA

View Full Version : Duke Rape Accuser On Trial For Arson

Rael
12-08-2010, 11:07 AM
DURHAM -- Crystal Mangum's arson trial should start today now that lawyers have chosen 12 jurors and one alternate.

After four days of jury selection, the court must accept one more alternate this morning before the trial can begin.

Mangum became well-known after claiming she had been raped by three Duke lacrosse players. The claims were determined to be unfounded. She is accused of setting fire to her boyfriend's clothes in a bathtub while her three children and two police officers were in the apartment.

She is charged with arson, three counts of contributing to the abuse of her children, injury to personal property and resisting arrest.

GunnyFreedom
12-08-2010, 11:52 AM
color me completely unsurprised. This is truly sad, though. This woman would probably not be nearly so distorted in the head if not for the games played by Nifong. You just know that he built up her sense of entitlement in order to secure her testimony. That same distortion probably contributed to this latest incident, at least in part. Not that this arson crap is Nifong's fault, it's clearly her fault, but if not for Nifong in the first place, she may never have come to this point. Sad, sad all around.

dizi24
12-08-2010, 12:00 PM
color me completely unsurprised. This is truly sad, though. This woman would probably not be nearly so distorted in the head if not for the games played by Nifong. You just know that he built up her sense of entitlement in order to secure her testimony. That same distortion probably contributed to this latest incident, at least in part. Not that this arson crap is Nifong's fault, it's clearly her fault, but if not for Nifong in the first place, she may never have come to this point. Sad, sad all around.

I understand you're not blaming the whole thing on Nifong, but I don't feel confident saying this wouldn't happen if it wasn't for him. She wasn't exactly a fine upstanding citizen before Nifong stepped in. And the fact that she did accuse the Duke players of rape mostly out of spite says a lot about her character as well.

BlackTyrone
12-08-2010, 01:23 PM
She was probably driven to arson from all the suffering she endured from the rape.

denison
12-08-2010, 01:38 PM
oh god...