PDA

View Full Version : Shut Down the Internet?

pcosmar
12-08-2010, 10:44 AM
http://abcnews.go.com/International/julian-assange-wikileaks-faces-onslaught-charges-attacks-politically/story?id=12333753

But in an interview with ABC News, Wikileaks' spokesman Kristinn Hrafnsson insisted Assange's arrest won't alter the site's calculated release of thousands of secret government cables, which still continues according to plan. The site published a new slate of cables Wednesday.

"It is not derailing us in any way," said Hrafnsson, adding that a group of five to six people is running Wikileaks' operations in Assange's absence. "This is a turning tide and starting a trend that you can't really stop unless you want to shut down the Internet."

Meanwhile, supporters of Assange are saying the timing and nature of the personal allegations against him are more than coincidence – they're "politically motivated." And the confluence of recent events gives at least the appearance that could be true.

I have heard the voice of FEAR.
Here and elsewhere. "They will shut down the internet". Stop with the protests, quit telling the truth or they will just shut it down.

Oh Really..?
Do you think they would just shut down the internet.
Do you have any idea what that would do?
Stores would not be able to process sales. Checks and plastic would be useless.
Banking would come to a standstill. What would that do to an already crippled economy?

There is no doubt that they want to Control the internet. But shut it down?

Nope, That is a bluff. One that should be called.
;)

Bern
12-08-2010, 10:46 AM
Let's hope Jay Rockefeller doesn't catch wind of this challenge.

http://www.zdnet.com.au/internet-kill-switch-proposed-for-us-339303838.htm

armstrong
12-08-2010, 10:47 AM
agree, chevron or shell and texaco could not even pump gas...hehe

Bern
12-08-2010, 10:55 AM
Sorry, I was late adding the link for context. I was serious. Jay really does want the ability to control the internet.

ItsTime
12-08-2010, 10:55 AM
no way they will shut down the internet unless they want riots.

IPSecure
12-08-2010, 10:57 AM
WIKILEAKS: Stop Us? You'll Have to Shut Down the Web... (http://abcnews.go.com/International/julian-assange-wikileaks-faces-onslaught-charges-attacks-politically/story?id=12333753)

The Internet 911.

JamesButabi
12-08-2010, 11:13 AM
I hope they attempt to shut down the internet. Can you imagine the uproar when millions of docile americans can no longer access facebook or game communities?

Ron Paul should claim this talking point and let the world know he will willfully defend the freedom and success of the internet.

pcosmar
12-08-2010, 11:18 AM
I hope they attempt to shut down the internet. Can you imagine the uproar when millions of docile americans can no longer access facebook or game communities?

Ron Paul should claim this talking point and let the world know he will willfully defend the freedom and success of the internet.

He Has. Often.

This is about Control of the internet. Imposed control.
Shutting down the internet is a BLUFF.

That bluff needs to be called

Those seeking control are holding shit for cards.
;)

FunkBuddha
12-08-2010, 11:20 AM
Ain't happenin'. The internet was designed to be resilient. Especially so here in the US. Now with all of the commerce that depends on it, they can't shut it down. They can make half-assed attempts to censor it but they will fail miserably. All they will do by censoring is shoot themselves in the foot by making it harder to track peoples activities.

FunkBuddha
12-08-2010, 11:21 AM
;)

Indeed. And they don't even know it.

OrigSEOH
12-08-2010, 11:29 AM
Banking would come to a standstill. What would that do to an already crippled economy?

Not, necessarily, I think most banks, bureaucracies, and corps have WAN connections facilitated by virtual circuits to handle POS transaction and other inter-organizational operations, which are not part of the Internet, thank goodness. While I don't believe they would "shut down" the Internet, log user activity, or filter packets, because it would be a administrative nightmare for ISPs, and they would, hopefully, cry a river if the gubmints tried to make them.

Travlyr
12-08-2010, 11:30 AM
;)

+ 1

Sentient Void
12-08-2010, 11:37 AM
He Has. Often.

This is about Control of the internet. Imposed control.
Shutting down the internet is a BLUFF.

That bluff needs to be called

;)

Absolutely. The State is FUCKED.

True liberty and freedom *is* inevitable. The only question is *when*. I hope to see it in my lifetime. But I'll be glad to have had a part in the beginning throes of wrangling the State off our backs.

Honestly, we can thank the Internet, with it's bastion of liberty in the marketplace and in civil liberties. With it's instant worldwide communication between social and technological networks, with it's anonymity and with the instant spread of ideas and information like WILDFIRE. It was inevitable that truth (liberty) would win out with people in such an environment.

BIG TIME.

pcosmar
12-08-2010, 01:06 PM
http://www.twitlonger.com/show/7canol

On Wednesday 8th December 2010, @wikileaks said:

STATEMENT: "We will not be gagged" #cablegate #censorship

Following the detention of Wikileaks founder and editor-in-chief Julian Assangem, Wikileaks spokesman Kristinn Hrafnsson said:

“Today, Wikileaks editor-in-chief Julian Assange was refused bail by a UK court. While we are troubled by this bizarre decision, we know Julian is grateful for the support of both his legal team and prominent figures such as Ken Loach, Jemima Khan and John Pilger.

“However, this will not stifle Wikileaks. The release of the US Embassy Cables – the biggest leak in history – will still continue. This evening, the latest batch of cables were released, and our media partners released their next batch of stories.

“We will not be gagged, either by judicial action or corporate censorship. Today Visa joined Mastercard, Paypal, Amazon, EveryDNS and others in cutting off their links.

“Wikileaks is still online. The full site is duplicated in more than 500 locations. Every day, the cables are loaded more than 50 million times.

“US Senator Joe Lieberman today attacked the New York Times for its decision to publish the cables, just days after calling for companies to boycott Wikileaks.

“Just minutes later, the State Department announced the US will host next year’s UNESCO Press Freedom day. The irony is not lost on us. We hope in future, UNESCO celebrates press freedom somewhere where it exists.”

Currently Mirrored on 1241 sites
http://wikileaks.ch/mirrors.html
:cool:

pcosmar
12-08-2010, 06:40 PM
twitter bump

pcosmar
12-08-2010, 07:35 PM
Multiple posts on these threads. Spread this.

YouTube - anon (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcpTyrW8yJY)

Text

Greetings.
These days have been interesting for all of us, and especially for every dictator, and every authoritarian regime. The one and only protector of the freedom of speech has devolved into one of its worst. Yes, U.S.A. We are looking at you. We became very disappointed when we saw how you treated not only our fellow anon, but one of the greatest defenders of free speech in the modern world.

The earthly world may be your domain, but we can assure you, and never forget, that the web belongs to us, and we will protect it by all means necessary. You have, over the last few days, gotten a taste of what we are able to do with small resources. Over these few days, however, we have grown several hundred percent, and we will grow further as the news spreads.

We have taken down several of your servers with DDoS attacks. We have defaced your websites. We have raped your bandwidth to such an extent that you may face problems when paying your bills. And most of all, we have shown the world how exposable you really are.

We are the author of the hjoly book of "dirty tricks."
We do not only know every single "dirty trick" in the book; we are the inventors of them.

Many have tried to defeat us before and failed. Miserably. Go ask the church of Scientology if they are up for a new fight. Some of us may fall, but on the way, all of you will fall. You may get one or five convicted. Ten or twenty arrested. On the way, you will not only lose all pride, but also money.

Your world needs our world to work.
You are here as our guests.
Behave as such.
Your time here is limited.

We demand that you leave Julian Assange and Wikileaks alone. Open his bank accounts. Arrest the lying Swedish tramps.

Don't disappoint us again.
Consequences will NEVER be the same.

We are anonymous. We are legion.
We do not forget.
We do not forgive.

Expect us.

AxisMundi
12-08-2010, 07:40 PM
http://abcnews.go.com/International/julian-assange-wikileaks-faces-onslaught-charges-attacks-politically/story?id=12333753

I have heard the voice of FEAR.
Here and elsewhere. "They will shut down the internet". Stop with the protests, quit telling the truth or they will just shut it down.

Oh Really..?
Do you think they would just shut down the internet.

There is no doubt that they want to Control the internet. But shut it down?

Nope, That is a bluff. One that should be called.
;)

Indeed a bluff, and a poor one at that.

Last time I checked, the Internets wasn't hosted on any one server, but is a worldwide network of computer systems and networks.

Rael
12-08-2010, 07:45 PM
I agree. There will be riots in the streets if the drooling illiterate masses can't access Facebook.