PDA

View Full Version : Atlas Shrugged movie

Elwar
12-08-2010, 09:58 AM
The Atlas Shrugged movie will be out April 15, 2011.

We should try to use the timing to promote Ron Paul for 2012.

Maybe have Atlas Shrugged types of flyers set for movie theaters with "Who is Ron Paul?" across the top.

April 15th should be big this year since it's on a Friday...there can be some huge rallies.

muzzled dogg
12-08-2010, 10:10 AM
Yessir

UtahApocalypse
12-08-2010, 11:03 AM
I have quite a few "shares" of this in the Hollywood Stock Exchange game. It had a nice bump yesterday from the news of its release date. Im hoping that a "Ron Paul Movie Bomb" could cause this to be a surprise weekend hit.

Matt Collins
12-08-2010, 11:05 AM
The synergy with the 2012 campaign, and Tax Day will be AWESOME! We will need people at every theater handing out Ron Paul / CFL literature and collecting names (getting them to sign a petition).

Does anyone have a source on this?

Elwar
12-08-2010, 11:57 AM
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Atlas-Shrugged-The-Movie/144777702200729#!/pages/Atlas-Shrugged-The-Movie/144777702200729?v=wall

"Atlas Shrugged The Movie Coming April 15, 2011 -- the USA Theatrical Release. Details to follow."

Elwar
12-08-2010, 11:58 AM
I have quite a few "shares" of this in the Hollywood Stock Exchange game. It had a nice bump yesterday from the news of its release date. Im hoping that a "Ron Paul Movie Bomb" could cause this to be a surprise weekend hit.

I used to play the Hollywood Stock Exchange about 13 years ago...I think the last thing I did back in the 90s was sell all of my other stock and put it into Atlas Shrugged. :)

Sola_Fide
12-08-2010, 12:10 PM
This could be huge!

Teh Collinz is right. We need voluteers at every door handing out Ron Paul 2012 info!

UtahApocalypse
12-08-2010, 12:26 PM
Ok here is the first thing we need....

Graphics and Wording for brochures or fliers. I recommend we make two versions; 1) for if Ron Paul has already announced. 2) for if he has not announced by then. The "ads" should include a close tie in to the storyline and Ron Paul's positions.

So then..... lets get started.

Justinjj1
12-08-2010, 12:36 PM
What if the movie sucks as bad as the book? Tying Ron Paul's name to it could have a negative effect.

YouTube - Atlas Shrugged - A Review (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_j56IiLqZ9U&feature=related)

Andrew-Austin
12-08-2010, 12:40 PM
Sounds like a terrible idea and a gamble. We don't know what the film will be like, we don't know what people's reception of it will be like. Even if its good you don't know that people will be like "yeah capitalism!! John Galt endorses Ron Paul!".

Let the movie just promote libertarianism if it can do so, and it will most likely inadvertently help Ron.

sevin
12-08-2010, 12:42 PM
T

Maybe have Atlas Shrugged types of flyers set for movie theaters with "Who is Ron Paul?" across the top.

April 15th should be big this year since it's on a Friday...there can be some huge rallies.

Guys, this is a great idea. I love Atlas Shrugged so I noticed the "Who is Ron Paul" signs around town. I doubt I ever would have bothered to learn about Ron Paul if not for those signs.

Sola_Fide
12-08-2010, 12:44 PM
What if the movie sucks as bad as the book?

What if you started to believe in liberty and free markets?

Elwar
12-08-2010, 12:46 PM
What if the movie sucks as bad as the book? Tying Ron Paul's name to it could have a negative effect.

YouTube - Ron Paul's What If ? Remastered (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqAF-Alc7CM)

Matt Collins
12-08-2010, 12:56 PM
Teh Collinz is right. Always am :cool:

Matt Collins
12-08-2010, 12:57 PM
Sounds like a terrible idea and a gamble. We don't know what the film will be like, we don't know what people's reception of it will be like. Even if its good you don't know that people will be like "yeah capitalism!! John Galt endorses Ron Paul!".I don't think that'll matter. The people who will be going to see the film in the theater are people who are already predisposed to be on our side.

As I said this is an excellent place to hand out literature to a friendly crowd, and if possible, do a petition so that we can collect contact information of friendlies so that we can then recruit them for Ron Paul and the CFL as the election progresses.

misconstrued
12-08-2010, 05:57 PM
Directed by the director of One Tree Hill? Hmmm...

Matt Collins
04-12-2011, 09:28 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sq-P5Oqr6s0&feature=uploademail

ForLibertyFight
04-12-2011, 10:56 PM
I will be at the Regent theater in LA on Friday at 4:30 showing. I will try to bring 50 RP flyers to distribute. I encourage everyone else to do the same. :)

Matt Collins
04-16-2011, 10:27 PM
Did anyone go?

doodle
04-16-2011, 10:53 PM
What if you started to believe in liberty and free markets?

I can't speak for others but I try to get some idea about production/directors before buying a movie ticket. I try not to spend money on any pro foreign occupations movie or one that funds pro mideast war hollywood directors.

low preference guy
04-16-2011, 11:24 PM
I can't speak for others but I try to get some idea about production/directors before buying a movie ticket. I try not to spend money on any pro foreign occupations movie or one that funds pro mideast war hollywood directors.

Congratulations! You've just made the dumbest comment of the week!

doodle
04-17-2011, 12:50 AM
Congratulations! You've just made the dumbest comment of the week!

How so?

Repost:
Is this really true that Ed Snider, Financier/Executive producer of the movie "Atlas Sgrugged", also funded so called The Movement To Save The War and ARI he funded supports US attack on Iran?

The ARI's first board of directors included psychologist Edith Packer and businessman Ed Snider. Snider was also one of the founding donors for the organization.

The choice today is mass death in the United States or mass death in the terrorist nations. Our Commander-In-Chief must decide whether it is his duty to save Americans or the governments who conspire to kill them.

Though some at ARI initially supported the invasion of Iraq, it opposes how the Iraq War has been handled.[25] Since October 2, 2001, the institute has held that Iran should be the primary target in the war against "Islamic totalitarianism."[24]

ARI is generally supportive of Israel.[26] Of Zionism, executive director of the institute Yaron Brook writes: "Zionism fused a valid concern - self-preservation amid a storm of hostility - with a toxic premise - ethnically based collectivism and religion."[27]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ayn_Rand_Institute

THAT’S COMCASTIC!: Spectacor Sports Baron Ed Snider Is Funding The Movement To Save The War

http://www.phawker.com/2007/08/24/thats-comcastic-spectacor-baron-ed-snider-is-funding-the-movement-to-save-the-war/

I had some questions and was first feeling little bad for movie's funder after some views posted here that movie was a flop, not anymore.

low preference guy
04-17-2011, 12:51 AM
How so?

Repost:
Is this really true that Ed Snider, Financier/Executive producer of the movie "Atlas Sgrugged", also funded so called The Movement To Save The War and ARI he funded supports US attack on Iran?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ayn_Rand_Institute

THAT’S COMCASTIC!: Spectacor Sports Baron Ed Snider Is Funding The Movement To Save The War

http://www.phawker.com/2007/08/24/thats-comcastic-spectacor-baron-ed-snider-is-funding-the-movement-to-save-the-war/

I had some questions and was first feeling little bad for movie's funder after some views posted here that movie was a flop, not anymore.

None of that means the movie is pro foreign occupations.

doodle
04-17-2011, 01:01 AM
None of that means the movie is pro foreign occupations.

Maybe, but if this is true and you buy a ticket to this reportedly flop production, you'll be making rich a guy who funds war campaigns. See the point?

But yea I stand corrected, make that "pro US invasion of foreign countries that do not attack us or pose threat to us".

low preference guy
04-17-2011, 01:07 AM
Maybe, but if this is true and you buy a ticket to this reportedly flop production, you'll be making rich a guy who funds war campaigns. See the point?

Let's say the ticket costs $10. How much of that goes to the guy? Remember the directors and other people involved get a cut.

If the movie inspires me to fight for liberty so that I do something that has a value of more than $10 right after watching the movie, such as introducing people to Ron Paul, then my contribution for liberty is more than the $10 dollars I gave him.

See the point? If your favorite musician donates to the Democrats, and you buy her CD, maybe the motivation she gave you has greater economic value than what you paid her. Maybe the best alternative for entertainment absent that musician was something much more expensive, so it effectively saved you money to spend in other things that are pro-liberty that more than makes up for what you gave to her.

low preference guy
04-17-2011, 01:08 AM

Actually, not maybe. It's absolutely 100% truth that the Atlas Shrugged movie ISN'T pro foreign occupations.

doodle
04-17-2011, 01:34 AM
Actually, not maybe. It's absolutely 100% truth that the Atlas Shrugged movie ISN'T pro foreign occupations.

You are correct. Apparently funder of this movie funded campaign to bomb/invade Iran but not occupy it. But I think people should make educated choices, if after knowing where profits from this movie would be going some still feel comfortable contributing to this production, more power to them; I don't.

Wednesday, October 8, 2008
Sarah Palin and Ed Snider's game misconduct

Not many Philadelphians even know about Ed Snider's politics, because most of the time we didn't have to. But he's quite far to the political right, a devoted acolyte of the late conservative icon Ayn Rand, funding an institute based on her principles and giving speeches about her. (A Philadelphia Magazine profile of Snider said he won't read anything in the Inquirer except for the sports sections because the paper's too liberal for him.) Fair enough, but in the last two years Snider has veered off. Even though his beloved Rand did not believe in pre-emptive war, Snider is now a major financial support of continuing our very wrongheaded pre-emptive war in Iraq and sending new storm clouds over its neighbor, Iran.

According to numerous news accounts, Snider is a leading donor to the group Freedom's Watch, which is spending millions (here's the repulsive part I mentioned up top) promoting its lethal policies in the Middle East and right-wing candidates like Sarah Palin and John McCain who support that agenda. Arising from a 2007 meeting of the Republican Jewish Coalition, one of Freedom Watch's first efforts (employing former Bush White House aide Ari Fleisher as its spokesman) was a $15 million ad campaign in support of the troop "surge" in Iraq that falsely conflated that war with 9/11. (Says a military veteran, over shots of the World Trade Center, "They attacked us, and they will again. They won’t stop in Iraq.") The group also once had ambitious plans to stir up American public sentiment against the regime in Iran, although that seems to have taken a back seat in recent months to so-far failed efforts to elect Republicans to Congress in special elections (perhaps because the Bush administration itself seems to be no longer angling for a showdown with Tehran).

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/attytood/This_Saturday_turn_your_back_on_the_pucker.html

Cable details published by 'Guardian' reveal Arab countries approved boycott after director gave $1m. to Israel during Second Lebanon War.

http://www.jpost.com/JewishWorld/JewishNews/Article.aspx?id=199957

tnvoter
04-17-2011, 10:09 AM
I watched the film in Washington DC last night, the theater was literally packed full minus the front row. I could tell I was in good company because the theater applauded and cheered at the end.

It was better than I thought it would be, it had a slow start though but was captivating once it got rolling. It was like watching a book, the acting/directing was effective and believable- quite decent for it's near independent film status.

I have not read the book yet, I would recommend seeing the film while it's in theaters if you are semi-interested.