PDA

View Full Version : PayPal says US Government advised it to stop Wikileaks payments

bobbyw24
12-08-2010, 09:17 AM
PayPal has said that its decision to stop users from using its service to make donations to Wikileaks was made after advice from the US government.

A senior official at the online payments firm said the State Department had told it that the activities of the website were illegal in the US.

PayPal suspended payments to Wikileaks last week, and has been followed by Visa Europe and Mastercard.

Amazon and Swiss bank PostFinance have also cut ties with Wikileaks.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-11945875

noxagol
12-08-2010, 09:18 AM
"advice"

pcosmar
12-08-2010, 09:24 AM
"advice"

Yes, advice.

"You have a nice family, It would be a shame to see anything bad happen to them."

:(

fisharmor
12-08-2010, 09:27 AM
Ok, but here's the sticking point -
IS it illegal?
If someone can point out what law Wikileaks is breaking, it'll be news to me (but probably won't change my mind on the situation).
If nobody can point to a law which is broken, then this amounts to corporations terminating agreements with paying customers just because the govt told them to,
and they therefore probably deserve what they get in response.

jrskblx125
12-08-2010, 09:34 AM
Yah. Advice lol. More like "advised"

Matt Collins
12-08-2010, 10:36 AM
http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x93/sonicspikesalbum/Campaign%20VI/Toldja.jpg

Matt Collins
12-08-2010, 10:38 AM
Ok, but here's the sticking point -
IS it illegal?
If someone can point out what law Wikileaks is breaking, it'll be news to me (but probably won't change my mind on the situation).
If nobody can point to a law which is broken,
But that doesn't matter.

We don't have a rule of law anymore in this country (if we ever did). The government just makes stuff up when they need to.

Mach
12-08-2010, 10:42 AM
As far as the corporations, it's easy, they line their contracts with so much bullshit that you could fart and they could cancel services and kick you out.

Bern
12-08-2010, 10:45 AM
They gave them some advice they couldn't refuse.

ItsTime
12-08-2010, 10:46 AM
Good old fashion extortion.

RonPaulCult
12-08-2010, 11:12 AM
Paypal should have said - SEE YOU IN COURT

PreDeadMan
12-08-2010, 11:13 AM
More like do what we say or we'll FORCE you to comply

Pericles
12-08-2010, 11:18 AM
Paypal should have said - SEE YOU IN COURT
They are owned by eBay - you think eBay is going to rock the boat? They depend on the .gov to keep their gig going for untaxed NET transactions.

TonySutton
12-08-2010, 11:33 AM
Why would the State Department discuss a legal matter with Paypal and why would Paypal listen? If anything the Department of Justice should have been the ones to contact Paypal.

This whole thing stinks to high heavens.

Maybe because the lawyers at DOJ know there are not any laws being broken...

amy31416
12-08-2010, 11:38 AM
Honestly, I doubt it was very difficult to get Visa/MC to comply, given their attachment to banking institutions and the fact that banks are one of Assange's targets....

Just saying.

fisharmor
12-08-2010, 12:01 PM
But that doesn't matter.

We don't have a rule of law anymore in this country (if we ever did). The government just makes stuff up when they need to.

Oh, I know.
But I choose to keep talking as if there is such a thing.
Perhaps if we start to control the discussion of what law is and is not, then we can get society back to the point of realizing that not only is the real purpose of law to serve individuals (NOT governments), but it's also possible for it to be marvelously uncomplicated.

Rule by law is not rule of law. FedGov doesn't stand on the moral high ground when it invents reasons to send this guy to the gulag, and I'm surprised more people aren't concentrating on that talking point.

Maybe we're jaded after seeing it happen to many times over the last decade.