PDA

View Full Version : Just sold my mom on Ron Paul 2012 and the liberty movement, any books to recommend?

silentshout
12-07-2010, 01:37 PM
I know it's not that big of a deal, as it is only one person, but she is an independent wore pretty much voted for neocons due to the abortion issue. she is fine with keeping the decision to the states, though.

However, she very much supports what Wikileaks is doing and is disgusted by the talking heads and neocons calling for his execution. Also, the TSA stuff and the fact that Ron was pretty much the only one in Congress speaking out against it.

What I was wondering is what books/materials I could have her read to learn more. I was thinking of lending her my copy of The Revolution and maybe a book by the Judge, but can anyone help me with a few more titles? I don't think she would be as into reading about Austrian economic theory yet :)

dannno
12-07-2010, 01:38 PM
Peter Schiff: How an Economy Grows and Why it Crashes

Ron Paul: A Foreign Policy of Freedom: Peace, Commerce and Honest Friendship

I'm not sure what else one might need to know :confused:

As for your Judge book, Lies the Government Told You is probably a pretty good one.

Todd
12-07-2010, 01:40 PM
IMO.

"Revolution a Manifesto" and then get her his new one coming out in April for starters. Start with a primer then give her the heavier stuff.

The Judge's books are excellent too.

Jordan
The Revolution, IMO, is the best primer into all of the important topics.

edit: Damn you, Todd.

silentshout
Peter Schiff: How an Economy Grows and Why it Crashes

Ron Paul: A Foreign Policy of Freedom: Peace, Commerce and Honest Friendship

I'm not sure what else one might need to know :confused:

Thanks. I have yet to read the first one myself. :)

Heimdallr
12-07-2010, 01:45 PM
I know it's not that big of a deal, as it is only one person, but she is an independent wore pretty much voted for neocons due to the abortion issue, as she is really against abortion. she is fine with keeping the decision to the states, though.
The thing is she also very much supports what Wikileaks is doing and is disgusted by the talking heads and neocons calling for his execution. Also, the TSA thing and the fact that Ron was pretty much the only one in Congress speaking out against it made her change her mind. She is also opposed to the war in Afghanistan now.

What I was wondering is what books/materials I could have her read to learn more. I was thinking of lending her my copy of The Revolution and maybe a book by the Judge, but can anyone help me with a few more titles? I don't think she would be as into reading about Austrian economic theory yet :)

She seems like a good fit for the liberty movement!

silentshout
12-07-2010, 01:47 PM
Thank you all for your suggestions.

muzzled dogg
12-07-2010, 02:00 PM
Have nothing to add to this other than good job threadstarter

TastyWheat
12-07-2010, 03:32 PM
A few of the "Politically Incorrect Guides" are okay. The one on capitalism is probably the most broad as far as [economic] libertarianism goes. "Economics in One Lesson" is good, but a little dry.

Elwar
12-07-2010, 03:37 PM
One person at a time...

+Rep

Elwar
12-07-2010, 03:39 PM
Send her this:

http://www.isil.org/resources/philosophy-of-liberty-english.swf

tremendoustie
12-07-2010, 03:50 PM
I know it's not that big of a deal, as it is only one person, but she is an independent wore pretty much voted for neocons due to the abortion issue. she is fine with keeping the decision to the states, though.

However, she very much supports what Wikileaks is doing and is disgusted by the talking heads and neocons calling for his execution. Also, the TSA stuff and the fact that Ron was pretty much the only one in Congress speaking out against it.

I think The Revolution is a great start. How about Meltdown, by tom woods? It's not economic theory -- just a very practical discussion of the reasons for the current economic crisis.

RCA
12-07-2010, 04:04 PM
Cut straight to the chase and it's free:

http://www.freedomainradio.com/FreeBooks/EverydayAnarchy.aspx

tremendoustie
12-07-2010, 04:06 PM
Cut straight to the chase and it's free:

http://www.freedomainradio.com/FreeBooks/EverydayAnarchy.aspx

I think there's a danger of scaring liberty newbies off with content that's too radical/principled.

If I were to go with radical/principled content, I'd choose Healing our World, by Ruwart.

But I've become convinced that you can't make a person swallow the whole bottle of medicine at once -- they tend to reject doses that are too large.

Michigan11
12-07-2010, 04:06 PM

Awesome..

Put a big sign on the front of her house that says "Welcome to the Revolution"

I'm seeing a big banner right over the garage doors...

RCA
12-07-2010, 04:09 PM
I think there's a danger of scaring liberty newbies off with content that's too radical/principled.

If I were to go with radical/principled content, I'd choose Healing our World, by Ruwart.

But I've become convinced that you can't make a person swallow the whole bottle of medicine at once -- they tend to reject doses that are too large.

Good point. We surely don't want this:

YouTube - Spew-Tastic (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0r99w-gOtj4)

malkusm
12-07-2010, 04:12 PM
I recommend:

"Lies the Government Told You" by the Judge
"The Revolution" by Ron Paul
"Imperial Hubris" by Michael Scheuer

and, depending on how you think she would respond to 10th Amendment / nullification....

"Nullification" by Tom Woods

Rothbardian Girl
12-07-2010, 04:17 PM
Damn. Nice going - I've been trying to get my dad to see the light, but to no avail.
Nice job, OP!

malkusm
12-07-2010, 04:18 PM
ALSO - get her to watch Freedom Watch. Truth is more easily digested in visual form. :p

TroySmith
12-07-2010, 04:38 PM
Ayn Rand.

lester1/2jr
12-07-2010, 04:39 PM
Hillary Rodham Clinton

Austrian Econ Disciple
12-07-2010, 06:50 PM
The Law by Claude Frederic Bastiat

Short sweet and distills the fine truth in every word :p

silentshout
12-07-2010, 06:55 PM
Damn. Nice going - I've been trying to get my dad to see the light, but to no avail.
Nice job, OP!

Hehe, my Dad is also a different story. Who knows, he may also come around one of these days. Thanks everyone for your recs.

silentshout
12-07-2010, 06:55 PM
Hillary Rodham Clinton

good one lol :eek:

KramerDSP
12-07-2010, 07:47 PM
I had a great conversation with one of my closest friends. He's a huge Obama supporter, or was, and I've spent three years working on him. After we chatted for an hour about Wikileaks, he said "Whatever. I'm sick of it all. Ron Paul 2012". He can't get over RP being a republican and believes the Constitution is a living document. But he's against the global empire and erosion of civil liberties. He's not quite all the way behind Ron, but today was a major hurdle. 1 becomes 2 becomes 4 becomes 8 becomes 16........

On a related note, comments under Paul stories from the left now mostly either say "I disagree with him but the man is honest" or "when I agree with him, I agree 100% and he is right on this". The comments from the right are usually "I agree with him on a lot of positions, but he's wrong here", "he s got a lot of good ideas, but this isn't one", or "Ron Paul is absolutely right!".

I sincerely believe we are sitting on a groundswell waiting to burst. We just have to harness it correctly.

cswake
12-07-2010, 07:52 PM
Imagine that! A compromise of restoring civil liberties and ending wars in exchange for economic freedom. :eek:

Texan4Life
12-07-2010, 08:09 PM
+1 for RP's The Revolution

bunklocoempire
12-07-2010, 09:21 PM
One person at a time...

+Rep

Indeed!

Bunkloco

qh4dotcom
12-07-2010, 09:28 PM
Why only books? Show her some Youtube videos