PDA

View Full Version : Tax Extension Compromise

Brett85
12-07-2010, 12:09 PM
Does anyone know how Ron will vote on this? Ron has said that he's never voted for a tax increase, but he also votes against unemployment benefits. If he does vote against this because of the unemployment benefits, wouldn't he technically be voting for a tax increase?

CharlesTX
12-07-2010, 12:11 PM
Could he not vote and ask them to revisit this?

Cowlesy
12-07-2010, 12:15 PM
I dont' think he can vote for anything that he can't find in the constitution, like unemployment benefits, so my guess is he votes No.

jmdrake
12-07-2010, 12:27 PM
The immovable object meeting the unstoppable force? I don't especially care how he votes. The compromise was the right way to go in this situation. Otherwise we would have been stuck with a half tax cut or no tax cut. More important than this one vote is the upcoming debt ceiling vote. If fiscal conservatives can block the debt ceiling increase then significant cuts will have to happen.

cswake
12-07-2010, 12:27 PM
I've heard Paul say that he'll compromise on the safety nets, even if is not Constitutionally allowed, so long as the net effect is that it decreases the size of the Federal Government.

http://globaleconomicanalysis.blogspot.com/2010/12/cookies-for-susie-and-obamas-temporary.html

To congress, the word "compromise" does not mean giving up anything you want. Instead, it means giving the other guy something you do not want him to have in return for a similar favor.

The process is much like asking a group of kids at a birthday party if they want cherry pie, chocolate cake, or fudge for desert and if there is no consensus winner, everyone gets a full slice of each, with chocolate chip cookies thrown in for good measure because that’s what cousin Susie likes. It’s irrelevant whether or not cousin Susie is even at the party.

The immovable object meeting the unstoppable force? I don't especially care how he votes. The compromise was the right way to go in this situation. Otherwise we would have been stuck with a half tax cut or no tax cut. More important than this one vote is the upcoming debt ceiling vote. If fiscal conservatives can block the debt ceiling increase then significant cuts will have to happen.

Nononono! This is back to the Bush-style Republicans... tax cuts and entitlements without any spending cuts. As Mish says, "The answer is they don't intend to, which of course is what makes them deficit-hawk hypocrites in the first place."