PDA

View Full Version : [TIME] Julian Assange, TIME Magazine's 'Person of the Year'?

Sentient Void
12-06-2010, 10:30 PM
So far he is #1! I put in my vote for him as well. Unfortunately, Ron Paul isn't on there - but he has certainly performed pretty well in the past few years (considering)!

http://www.time.com/time/specials/packages/article/0,28804,2028734_2028733_2028727,00.html

He is a new kind of whistle-blower: one made for the digital age. Those before him (like Daniel Ellsberg) were limited in the ways they could go public with their information. But in founding WikiLeaks.org, Julian Assange gave himself the freedom to publish virtually anything he wants, whether it's the true nature of Iraqi prisoner abuse, the double role Pakistan plays in Afghanistan or the personal e-mails of Sarah Palin. Assange's site, which he started four years ago, has made public a trove of secret and classified documents — close to 500,000 pages on the Iraq and Afghanistan wars alone. But in the process, governments he has targeted (like the U.S.'s) claim he has put the lives of informants and soldiers in jeopardy. Warranted or not, Assange is convinced that the governments and intelligence agencies he is unmasking are watching his every move, and as a result, he finds himself in virtual exile in Europe.

HOLLYWOOD
12-07-2010, 10:02 AM
http://i533.photobucket.com/albums/ee332/McLieberman/AssangeTIME.jpg

lester1/2jr
12-07-2010, 10:07 AM
I can't remember a year when it was quite so obvious who should win.

Liberty_Mike
12-07-2010, 10:13 AM
Where can we vote??

Sentient Void
12-07-2010, 11:47 AM
Where can we vote??

Theresa a slider on his bio page that you slide all the way to the right to support him as most influential... Then it'll give ya a captcha to put in and you can submit your vote.

I'll be so pleased when he wins. Now I'm not one for shameless appeals to majority, but in virtually every poll I see - there is more support for assange than there isn't. I would have thought otherwise too, considering the loud and vociferous calls for his death and jailtime out there and in the media - but I'm very glad that most people are mostly steadfast in supporting him.

KCIndy
12-07-2010, 11:56 AM
Lady Gaga is number three??? :eek:

What's WRONG with people???? Unbelievable.

UtahApocalypse
12-07-2010, 11:59 AM
Remember not to just vote him up, but vote lower on anyone close to him

KCIndy
12-07-2010, 12:16 PM
Remember not to just vote him up, but vote lower on anyone close to him

Done. I have Gaga a five. And frankly, I can't really see why Erdogan is rated as highly as he is. I think I ranked him at about 25.

Imaginos
12-07-2010, 12:36 PM
Lady Gaga is number three??? :eek:

What's WRONG with people???? Unbelievable.
That is exactly 'what's wrong' with people.
We created culture that is worshipping Lady Gaga and Paris Hilton.
We created culture that is despising intelligence, wisdom, integrity, discipline and pursuit of knowledge.
If you ask me, it's just a gigantic toilet we're living in.
We're doomed.

dannno
12-07-2010, 01:03 PM
That is exactly 'what's wrong' with people.
We created culture that is worshipping Lady Gaga and Paris Hilton.
We created culture that is despising intelligence, wisdom, integrity, discipline and pursuit of knowledge.
If you ask me, it's just a gigantic toilet we're living in.
We're doomed.

Who's WE? This crap is shoved on society through FCC controlled tv's..

Jordan
12-07-2010, 01:09 PM
I can't remember a year when it was quite so obvious who should win.

I say that every year.

But really, Time's "Person of the Year" might as well be "Person of December" since the things that happened in February, for example, aren't always at the top of the mind.

nobody's_hero
12-07-2010, 02:44 PM
Break link???

And what strung-out heroin addicts are they hiring to come up with captcha's these days? Hell no, I can't type the letters below before I submit my vote, I can't even tell what they are supposed to be, lol.

RonPaulFanInGA
12-07-2010, 02:48 PM
This vote is irrelevant to their final choice.

furface
12-07-2010, 02:54 PM
Erdogan as #2 is interesting. Non-conformists seem to be catching our interest.

Lady Gaga is predictable. True celebrity as in celebrity because she's a celebrity.

nobody's_hero
12-07-2010, 02:56 PM
This vote is irrelevant to their final choice.

True, but it is relevant to the people who come to that page and vote. Consider this:

Someone stumbles across Time's little online poll eager to vote for Lady Gaga and then all the sudden they're wondering who Julian Assange is, why he's number one, and why they've been distracted with pop culture while their entire world was being molded by lies.

Now, Time might get angry and take down the poll, thinking they could put Assange up there as a choice and him not actually win . . . —that might happen.

Batman
12-07-2010, 03:02 PM
Where are Rand Paul and Marco Rubio? The media was fixated with them for months.