PDA

View Full Version : Limewire Officially Set to Close.

Kludge
12-05-2010, 06:09 PM
Speaking of era-ending news, Limewire is finally scheduled to die. December 31st.

Of course, the media corporations spent waaaaay more resources getting this shut down for less practical benefit than the USG would in shutting down a Wikileaks mirror.

These same companies wasted millions shutting down The Pirate Bay's site for a few hours and spend many tens of millions purchasing/developing complex anti-piracy code for their media which was cracked within a few days - while alienating legit customers who are inconvenienced by these no-benefit-adding anti-piracy schemes.

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE6B304Y20101204

fisharmor
12-05-2010, 06:27 PM
Interesting tie-in.
Both deal in "intellectual property" violations.
The Napster/Limewire battle appears to be lost, but we'll see how the Wikileaks battle goes.

awake
12-05-2010, 06:32 PM
Bail out?

speciallyblend
12-05-2010, 06:37 PM
I barely buy music anymore. I look at indy labels who send me free music and only buy singles online when i have to but i refuse to buy music thru itunes or major music companies when i can!! music companies are shooting themselves over this!!

Kludge
12-05-2010, 06:42 PM
I purchased a digital CD from a band's site called Canvas Productions. It was dirt cheap but I apparently missed the download link I was supposed to find after the transaction cleared.

I sent them an email about it and was promptly sent a free physical CD in the mail with a thank-you note from the lead singer.

It's not a problem with the artists - it's a problem with the corporate music industry.

One Last Battle!
12-05-2010, 06:45 PM
I just rip music from Youtube directly.

Rael
12-05-2010, 06:57 PM
Does this mean I will be forced to use one of the 5,000 other places avaliable to download music now?

Wren
12-05-2010, 06:59 PM
Frostwire time

Live_Free_Or_Die
12-05-2010, 07:07 PM
The internet will be regulated and taxed because that is what people demand.

It's only wrong to use p2p if you are not paying corporate America who in turn pays government a cut. The powers that be have been slowly picking off the big targets of unregulated internet freedom. The only thing that has been happening over the last decade is growth and expansion of the interwet virtual police.

After refining enforcement and litigation the past several years it will not be too many more years before everyone is digitally licensed, tracked, archived, and inventoried.

libertybrewcity
12-05-2010, 07:39 PM
goodbye limewire. you served me well for many a year.

Vessol
12-05-2010, 07:40 PM
People still use limewire? I thought that was so 90's..