Bradley in DC
10-21-2007, 01:18 PM
ARIZONA 2004

52 Total Delegates: 24 CD & 28 AL County Conventions: 4/3/04 – 4/17/04
Primary/Caucus/Convention CD Caucus: 5/8/04
Delegates use “Best Efforts” for 1 ballot State Convention: 5/8/04

Step 1 – Presidential Primary

Purpose: To bind and allocate national convention delegates to the presidential
candidate receiving the most votes in the primary.

Timing: No primary in 2004

Process: Delegates to national convention are required by law to use “best efforts” to vote for winner of the presidential primary. Ariz. Rev. Stat. § 16-243. No rules or laws are applicable when no primary takes place.

Step 2 – County/Legislative District Meetings

Purpose: To elect delegates to the congressional district and state conventions.

Timing: 4/3/04 – 4/17/04

Qualifications: Only precinct committeemen of record as of 12/31/04 are eligible to
vote at the county caucuses. State Party Bylaws Art. VI § C.

Process: Delegates to the county convention elect delegates to the state
convention. Id.

Step 3 – Congressional District Caucus

Purpose: To elect congressional district delegates and alternate delegates to the
national convention.

Timing: 5/8/04

Qualifications: Delegates to the congressional district caucuses are state convention
delegates who are residents of their respective congressional district. Id. at Art. VI § B.
Process: At the state convention, each congressional district will caucus and elect 3 CD delegates and alternate delegates. Each CD alternate delegate must be listed and served in an order determined by the number of votes received. In the case of a tie vote, the list and the order of service is decided by lot. Id. at Art. VI § D.

Step 4 – State Convention

Purpose: To select the AL delegates and alternates.

Timing: 5/8/04

Qualifications: Voting convention delegates must have been elected at county/legislative meetings.

Process: The state convention meets as a whole to elect national AL delegates and alternate delegates. The AL alternate delegates are listed and served in an order determined by the number of votes received. In the case of a tie vote, the list and the order of service is decided by lot. Id.

Step 5 – Certification of Delegates

Purpose: Filing of the credentials of the state delegation to the Secretary of the RNC.

Timing: 07/31/2004

Process: No later than thirty (30) days before the time set for the meeting of the national convention, the credentials of each delegate and alternate delegate shall be filed with the secretary of the Republican National Committee for use by the secretary in making up the temporary roll of the national convention (RNC Rule 18(c)).

Step 6 – Organizing Convention Delegation

Purpose: To select national convention delegation chairman and choose committee persons.
Timing: Promptly after the selection of delegates.
Process: National Party Rules require the election of a delegation chairman, as well as one (1) man and one (1) woman for each of the four (4) Convention Committees, including: Committee on Resolutions (Platform), Committee on Credentials, Committee on Rules and Order of Business, and Committee on Permanent Organization. States are required to file notice with the RNC Secretary the selection of these committee members and their state delegation chairman. Alternate delegates may not serve as delegation chairman or as members of the convention committees (RNC Rule 40(a)).

Elector Selection

Purpose: To select presidential electors.
Timing: 7/5/04 – 8/3/04
Process: State Party chairman appoints candidates for presidential elector and
must file nomination papers with the Secretary of State. Ariz. Rev.
Stat. § 16-344

Table of Authorities

Continuing Bylaws of the Arizona Republican Party.

Arizona Revised Statutes.

Thunderbolt
10-29-2007, 01:48 AM
Arizona does not have a Presidential Primary. It has a Presidential Preference Election. All information pertaining to primaries has nothing to do with the PPE. Be very careful in that state. They switched words on purpose to confuse people. They do have primaries, but for other positions, not President of the United States. You must look for the rules for the PPE. I can't tell if those rules above are for the PPE.

RPinSEAZ
10-30-2007, 02:47 PM
So, the question is... How do we get into the party to get Ron Paul nominated, since the party is the one that actually nominates the candidate and the PPE seems to be merely a guideline that parties can follow if they want to?

Bradley in DC
11-02-2007, 01:09 PM
So, the question is... How do we get into the party to get Ron Paul nominated, since the party is the one that actually nominates the candidate and the PPE seems to be merely a guideline that parties can follow if they want to?

Take the information in the original post in this thread and email it to your state GOP and ask them for the updated information for 2008 that they had to send to the RNC in September [remind them of Rule 14(a) (http://www.gop.com/About/AboutRead.aspx?AboutType=4&Section=16)]:

RULE NO. 14
Participation
(a) The Republican National Committee shall assist the states in their efforts to inform all citizens as to how they may participate in delegate selection procedures. The states, in cooperation with the Republican National Committee, shall prepare instructive material on delegate selection methods and make it available for distribution.

When you get the results, please post them here.

RPinSEAZ
11-05-2007, 10:23 AM
I have emailed what addresses I could find and it seems that most of the contact email addresses don't work because I've been getting undeliverable messages. I'll call today since apparently the GOP in AZ doesn't believe in da interwebs.

Paulite5112007
11-11-2007, 10:25 PM
Any results?

RPinSEAZ
11-13-2007, 10:09 AM
I called the party office in Phoenix and was told that the "packet" describing the process will be available around the 1st of the year. I asked them to have one sent to me. I would suggest your best bet would be for you to find who the leader is for your district and contact them. I've been trying for 2 weeks to contact mine and haven't received any response.

RPinSEAZ
11-13-2007, 03:58 PM
BTW, I just wanted to mention that in AZ, delegates are required to vote for the candidate that won the PPE in the first round of voting. Apparently there are sometimes subsequent rounds of voting and they are not bound for those subsequent rounds, so it is important to get Ron Paul delegates in there.