PDA

View Full Version : Hotair asks: Is Mel Gibson's new movie the worst movie ever?

Agorism
12-05-2010, 08:32 AM
I actually think it looks pretty funny

YouTube - THE BEAVER - Trailer (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOSOWNS3jts)

pcosmar
12-05-2010, 08:35 AM
Hot air hates it?
I'll take that as an endorsement. Might have to see it.
;)

Stary Hickory
12-05-2010, 08:35 AM
Oh man, Gibson has kinda gone off the deep end. Thing is this depression bit in the movie kinda mirrors his own life. But it looks really sad and looks like a limited release movie if you ask me. Who knows though.

MelissaWV
12-05-2010, 08:42 AM
No, The Nutcracker is allegedly the worst movie ever (though I haven't seen this OR The Beaver). In all fairness, I hated The Cube more than I ever thought I would. Maybe it's that someone hyped it up and said it was their favorite movie, and then I had to sit there and watch that awful crap... or maybe it's that, even up until near the end, I had this glimmer of hope that it would all turn out to be something awesome and worth the finite, precious bit of my life on this earth I'd devoted to watching it.

The Nutcracker:

YouTube - The Nutcracker 3D - Trailer 2010 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ud2t2k7dZqU)

Yes, instead of Uncle Drosselmeyer, you have Albert Einstein. Instead of Clara, you have Mary. Instead of real rats, you have Nazis with rat faces. No, seriously. Obviously, "ethnic" characters had to be introduced (together with a fleet of children). Did I mention this abomination is in 3D? All the ingredients are definitely there for this to be triple-facepalm material.

MelissaWV
12-05-2010, 08:43 AM
Oh man, Gibson has kinda gone off the deep end. Thing is this depression bit in the movie kinda mirrors his own life. But it looks really sad and looks like a limited release movie if you ask me. Who knows though.

Cult classic, but those don't really save careers.

osan
12-05-2010, 09:45 AM
Anyone even remotely considering this as the worst film ever has never suffered through 89 minutes of the pure hell titled "Eraserhead". For those who have not seen it, I recommend you leave sleeping dogs. If you must see it, take a mood stabilizer beforehand and have a neighbor hold on to all your guns and other potentially dangerous object for a day or two. Yes, it is that bad. David Lynch should still be in prison for that one.

Seriously, when it finally ended and as I left the theater I thought I'd been in there between 3 and 4 hours. At one point I thought it would never end - that I'd died unwittingly and gone straight to hell.

MelissaWV
12-05-2010, 09:50 AM
Anyone even remotely considering this as the worst film ever has never suffered through 89 minutes of the pure hell titled "Eraserhead". For those who have not seen it, I recommend you leave sleeping dogs. If you must see it, take a mood stabilizer beforehand and have a neighbor hold on to all your guns and other potentially dangerous object for a day or two. Yes, it is that bad. David Lynch should still be in prison for that one.

Seriously, when it finally ended and as I left the theater I thought I'd been in there between 3 and 4 hours. At one point I thought it would never end - that I'd died unwittingly and gone straight to hell.

You know I now have to.

Edit: Oh... after seeing the trailer and realizing it's one of THOSE movies (this represents that and his isolation is an allegory for blah blah blah), I might pass. Might.

TNforPaul45
12-05-2010, 09:51 AM
Hahahahahahhahahahahaha. That movie is so awesome lol!

I am SO there!

Matthew Zak
12-05-2010, 10:17 AM
That movie looks entertaining, which is kind of a prerequisite for me. I could fill a novel sized thread with movies that failed in that category... so no, The Beaver doesn't look so bad to me.

lester1/2jr
12-05-2010, 11:00 AM
A really bad one is the Madonna remake of swept away.

I liked "Edge of darkness" the last mel gibson movie though it is one of those thrillers that forgets about the thing called the internet

thorin
12-05-2010, 11:13 AM
Not only funny but it looks very "wholesome". Family gets separated and actually shows how awful it is for the kids. The father rediscovers his ability to re-attract his wife and they come back together in the end.

A rather refreshing change after all the fart-jokes and other scatological and politically correct nonsense that Hollywood so loves to shove down our throats. I don't suspect that priests will have their pants pulled down nor will grandma get her head stuck in the toilet while fishing for her transgendered lesbian "daughter's" wedding ring.

paulitics
12-05-2010, 11:14 AM
I think Mel Gibson should only star as the leading role of an unstable badass. It works good for him, but this somehow seems pathetic, and corny. This may ruin his career more than some drunken rage phone calls.

WilliamShrugged
12-05-2010, 11:36 AM
I hate to say this but i like mel. I don't agree with what he has done in his personal life, but his movies i love. "Braveheart" is one of my favs, "The patriot", Mad Max. His cries for freedom in braveheart pretty much made him one of my favs, that and he likes to get tortured in his movies(which cracks me up).

angelatc
12-05-2010, 11:40 AM
In before Dannno !

puppetmaster
12-05-2010, 11:41 AM
I like mel and I like to say it!

DjLoTi
12-05-2010, 11:45 AM
That's amazing that that's a real thing

BuddyRey
12-05-2010, 12:21 PM
The folks at HotAir have quite obviously never enjoyed the jaw-droppingly painful spectacle that is "The Room."

YouTube - The Room - Full Length Trailer (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCj8sPCWfUw)

Magicman
12-05-2010, 12:28 PM
I think Mel Gibson should only star as the leading role of an unstable badass. It works good for him, but this somehow seems pathetic, and corny. This may ruin his career more than some drunken rage phone calls.

He should be in the movie Falling Down Pt. II. Where Michael Douglas starred in the first one. He would be awesome in the role.

Vessol
12-05-2010, 12:33 PM
Eh, looks cute, but let's be honest. When people recently are questioning Mel Gibson's mental well-being and attacking him..is a movie about a man using a puppet to express himself due to mental issues really the best movie for him? Lol.

HOLLYWOOD
12-05-2010, 12:47 PM
http://www.cool-movie-stuff.com/assets/images/products/large/south-park-mr-garrison-talking-bobble-head.jpg

Brooklyn Red Leg
12-05-2010, 02:14 PM
No, The Nutcracker is allegedly the worst movie ever.

No, Freddy Got Fingered was the worst movie ever, beating out Leonard Part 6

In all fairness, I hated The Cube more than I ever thought I would.

Weird, I liked The Cube.

heavenlyboy34
12-05-2010, 02:16 PM
I haven't seen the movie in question, but I would wager that "The Fly" is the worst ever movie.

inibo
12-05-2010, 02:21 PM
Mel Gibson is a sad case, but he makes really good movies.

inibo
12-05-2010, 02:22 PM
I haven't seen the movie in question, but I would wager that "The Fly" is the worst ever movie.

What ,the one with Jeff Goldbloom? I loved it!

LudwigVonMisoSoup
12-05-2010, 02:26 PM
The folks at HotAir have quite obviously never enjoyed the jaw-droppingly painful spectacle that is "The Room."

Lies! Tommy Wiseau is a genius.

Vessol
12-05-2010, 02:28 PM
Ballistic Ecks vs Sever is the worst rated movie on Rotten Tomatoes.

YouTube - Ballistic Ecks vs Sever movie trailer. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ql7kCfv2bL8)

pcosmar
12-05-2010, 02:33 PM
LOL
This thread proves once again that HotAir is just that.
;)

Vessol
12-05-2010, 02:36 PM
Kazaam is the worst movie ever. It's so bad, I couldn't even find a trailer for it on Youtube, all I could get was this clip.

YouTube - kazaam (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=357o0kPWGFc)

heavenlyboy34
12-05-2010, 02:58 PM
What ,the one with Jeff Goldbloom? I loved it!

Yep, that's the one. I liked it when I was a kid, but now I feel silly for liking it. /facepalm

YouTube - THE FLY (1986 Movie Trailer) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7xoyu08xNE)

MelissaWV
12-05-2010, 04:34 PM
No, Freddy Got Fingered was the worst movie ever, beating out Leonard Part 6

Weird, I liked The Cube.

I found Leonard Part 6 to be just barely on the enjoyable side of utter campy crap.

Oh and I know I'm in the minority about The Cube. It's personal taste, and I don't hold a grudge about those who enjoy it. It's just... I will never watch it again. I will run from the room if it's to be shown.

BillyDkid
12-05-2010, 05:33 PM
Mel Gibson is a sad case, but he makes really good movies.I guess it just goes to show, no matter how fantastically successful you are, no matter how much money and adoration, it's just not enough to fill some people's emptiness. I actually really like Mel and feel bad for him, but I have to wonder how he would have made out if he had turned out to be nobody, nothing and nowhere like the vast majority of us. If you are this miserable having success beyond most people's comprehension, how would you ever cope with being a failure.

YumYum
12-05-2010, 05:44 PM
I guess it just goes to show, no matter how fantastically successful you are, no matter how much money and adoration, it's just not enough to fill some people's emptiness. I actually really like Mel and feel bad for him, but I have to wonder how he would have made out if he had turned out to be nobody, nothing and nowhere like the vast majority of us. If you are this miserable having success beyond most people's comprehension, how would you ever cope with being a failure.

Thomas Jefferson was a failure; not a loser. When you have suffered to the point of being totally numb, and continue to exist, you are not a loser, because you have survived, and will continue to survive, even though you have failed in life. Why will you survive while the Mel Gibsons won't? Because when you become numb you lose resentments, and holding on to resentments is what causes people to self-destruct. When the SHTF, it will be the homeless people who survive; not the wealthy and famous.

Kludge
12-05-2010, 05:47 PM

lol... I watched that one voluntarily a few years ago without reading much on it.

It kept my attention - more than I can say of any movie made in the past 5 years.

Edit: If someone's interested in a movie vaguely like The Beaver but with witty dialogue, a fantastic premise, and good actors, I recommend you watch Lars and The Real Girl. It's way more tasteful than you'd think.

Rael
12-05-2010, 07:59 PM
I have already seen many Beavers. However, I never suspected Mel Gibson had a Beaver. Not sure I want to see it.

PreDeadMan
12-05-2010, 08:24 PM

Eraserhead was a movie that was VERY VERY out there lol. I wouldn't call that the worst film ever at all. I was intrigued at the strangeness of the movie if anything....

Brian4Liberty
12-05-2010, 08:38 PM
I never fully appreciated Will Farrell until Land of the Lost. Some people say it was a flop.

As for Jodie's Beaver movie, doesn't really seem interesting.

Agorism
12-05-2010, 08:43 PM
Apocalypto and Braveheart were his best movies. Braveheart has more rewatch value of the two.

Rael
12-05-2010, 08:56 PM
Eraserhead was a movie that was VERY VERY out there lol. I wouldn't call that the worst film ever at all. I was intrigued at the strangeness of the movie if anything....

I couldn't watch more than about 20 minutes of it.

Love King Diamond and Mercyful Fate BTW. have they come out with anything new lately

BlackTerrel
12-05-2010, 10:34 PM
I don't know. Dude doesn't make a lot of bad movies.

Bravheart, Passion, Apocalypto, Lethal Weapon are all in my top ten.

He is psycho and probably racist - but he also wouldn't be where he is if he wasn't mega talented.

Anti Federalist
12-05-2010, 11:33 PM
Must...Not...Post...arrrrrrgggggggg....

Cannot resist.

YouTube - Primus - Wynona's Big Brown Beaver (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYDfwUJzYQg)

Vessol
12-06-2010, 12:50 AM
Apocalypto and Braveheart were his best movies. Braveheart has more rewatch value of the two.

The inner historian in me makes me cry whenever I watch Braveheart.

inibo
12-07-2010, 07:53 AM
The inner historian in me makes me cry whenever I watch Braveheart.

Yes, but that's not the point. Myth always wins in the end.

I really like the historical abomination Kingdom of Heaven, too.

Noob
12-07-2010, 08:20 AM
They need to make a Zombie movie were Mel Gibson becomes the first Zombie, and the rest of the movie just follows Zombie Gibson eating people, and trying to figure out how him and other zombies get into the building were survivors had trap and lock them selfs in. The movie should be done from the Zombies view point instead of the same old thing.

Lucille
12-07-2010, 09:11 AM
Fuck HotAir. The only reason that Statist neoclown blogged about this movie, twice, is because of his disdain for Gibson.

Those establishment hacks have still not blogged one word on wikileaks uncovering how America used spying, threats and promises of aid to get support for Copenhagen accord (http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2010/dec/03/wikileaks-us-manipulated-climate-accord). Hardly surprising, since doing that would jam up their "information is the enemy, and the glorious fascist state deserves our defense and protection" narrative.

I'm going to go see it, if only to spite those fascist clowns!

PreDeadMan
12-07-2010, 09:27 AM
I couldn't watch more than about 20 minutes of it.

Love King Diamond and Mercyful Fate BTW. have they come out with anything new lately

Nope.... King Diamond's newest album is Give Me Your Soul Please it came out in 2007 and for Mercyful Fate they released a single entitled "evil" last year ,i think it's just 2 mastered songs.

Uncle Emanuel Watkins
12-07-2010, 10:56 AM

I think what you were looking for was a story telling you what you wanted to hear along with a lot of special effects to dazzle the senses. To the contrary, as this movie was filmed in black and white, Eraserhead should be considered an artistic endeavor. In other words, the director of this movie wasn't trying to be popular and make the kinds of money made off of the movies Titanic and Avator. Now that last one was a real classic. Seems it was envisioned back during those days when white, racist conservatives were real white, racist conservatives. During this age of total absurdity, this movie came too late and couldn't have happened at a worst time. It is simply a big hoax that even a noble Native American audience will laugh at. The only people liking Avator had to be those smoking crack in Holliwood. Even then, I am in great danger of having the crack addicts rioting and kicking my ass.
Compared to those over produced monstrosities, Erasorhead has a timeless quality to it and was intended to seem freakish. Watch the movie "Freaks" sometime to see another excellent example of how to capture a place and time on film. That movie was so "bad" that it had to be cancelled because the audience were oftentimes brought to screaming and running out of the theaters.
P.S. Don't watch "La Strada."

oyarde
12-07-2010, 03:41 PM

Those are good , the Patriot is good .

BlackTerrel
12-08-2010, 02:41 AM
Fuck HotAir. The only reason that Statist neoclown blogged about this movie, twice, is because of his disdain for Gibson.

Those establishment hacks have still not blogged one word on wikileaks uncovering how America used spying, threats and promises of aid to get support for Copenhagen accord (http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2010/dec/03/wikileaks-us-manipulated-climate-accord). Hardly surprising, since doing that would jam up their "information is the enemy, and the glorious fascist state deserves our defense and protection" narrative.

I'm going to go see it, if only to spite those fascist clowns!

I am sure you watching a movie about a beaver will have them trembling in their boots.

inibo
12-08-2010, 07:19 PM
Those are good , the Patriot is good .

Payback was also good, in a really twisted kind of way.

Lucille
12-08-2010, 08:02 PM
I am sure you watching a movie about a beaver will have them trembling in their boots.

I didn't realize that's what I meant when I said "spite."

Anyways, we have "Edge of Darkness" with Gibson and Ray Winstone (love!) on the DVR. Probably check it out this weekend.

I cannot, and will not, watch "The Passion." Too hard.

oyarde
12-08-2010, 08:18 PM

Anyways, we have "Edge of Darkness" with Gibson and Ray Winstone (love!) on the DVR. Probably check it out this weekend.

When I was a young guy living abroad , I purchased a few Roman Army Military issue crucifixtion nails that were found in a dig . I wish I had kept them , but sold for a profit .

teamrican1
12-08-2010, 09:10 PM
Early reviews of The Beaver have all been overwhelmingly positive with most critics saying Gibson's performance is a lock for a Best Actor nomination. It's not really the sort of movie that can be distilled in to trailer form. I'm going to see it in the theaters and I suggest you all do as well. Will probably be one of the best films of 2011, and every ticket sold is a slap in the face to the neocon Gibson haters.

BlackTerrel
12-08-2010, 10:25 PM

The Passion is unbelievably good - I'm not ashamed to admit it made me cry. Dude is a lot of things - but he makes damn good movies.

Brian4Liberty
12-08-2010, 10:29 PM
Early reviews of The Beaver have all been overwhelmingly positive with most critics saying Gibson's performance is a lock for a Best Actor nomination.

Don't even have to see the movie. Nomination is a long-shot. Winning impossible.