PDA

View Full Version : Republicans retake control of New York state Senate!

Agorism
12-05-2010, 08:27 AM
Republicans retake control of state Senate

(The dems can't redistrict it to their favor now as they would have had the governor and the senate)

ALBANY — The state Senate will return to Republican control in January.

A judge on Saturday certified a result that showed a Long Island Republican won a key seat in the Nov. 2 election, meaning the GOP will have at least a 32-30 edge over Democrats when the Senate’s new session starts next month. (A pending recount in Westchester County could give the GOP a 33-29 majority.)

The result gives Republicans their only power base in a state where Democrats hold the Assembly and the three statewide offices: governor, comptroller and attorney general.

The final tally in the Long Island race gave Republican Jack Martins a narrow win over incumbent Democrat Craig Johnson in the state’s 7th Senate District, which is in Nassau County.

Justice Ira Warshawsky certified that Martins won the Long Island race by 451 votes out of the tens of thousands that were cast.

Johnson immediately announced that he would appeal Warshawsky’s decision, though the judge refused to grant a stay to delay the effect of the ruling.

Democrats went into the Nov. 2 elections with a 32-30 majority in the Senate. The party had controlled the chamber for two tumultuous years that included a short-lived Republican-backed coup and gridlocking partisanship.

“There’s important work to be done in Albany, and now that the elections are over, we’re eager to get right to it,” said Senate Republican leader Dean Skelos of Nassau County.

Stary Hickory
12-05-2010, 08:29 AM
Asssuming the GOP there are true conservatives, I still don't think it will be enough to save NY from it's bankrupt fate. I think that all the surrounding areas other than NYC should simply do their own thing nd let NYC make decisions for NYC.

Agorism
12-05-2010, 08:35 AM
If dems redistrict it, then it's going to affect everyone though so I think gridlock is good in their case.

Stary Hickory
12-05-2010, 08:38 AM
Ah ok, well I hope NY pulls it out, but it seems like NY state is going to be screwed since the cesspit of NYC controls everything.