PDA

View Full Version : Ron Paul is the number one topic on reddit today

ninepointfive
12-03-2010, 02:45 PM
With about 2500 votes. That's big.

I haven't frequented reddit, lately. I was shocked to see him number one, with a majority of comments for the better.

I think we should study these reddit bumps, because it will provide insights on how to debate democrats, and "liberals" with talking points important to them.

http://www.reddit.com/

JoshLowry
12-03-2010, 02:47 PM
I frequent reddit as often as I do here.

It's slowly turned away from Obama. Slowly, but surely.

This is probably the first time since 2007 that I've seen so much support for him on there.

Big win for us, but I think it was inevitable. People really are realizing how consistent he is. I hope and think that these shifts are happening in many places.

JamesButabi
12-03-2010, 02:47 PM
and rising fast! Go Ron Paul!

Vessol
12-03-2010, 02:52 PM
Meh, they'll say how much Ron Paul rocks, but in the end they won't for him because he is an "evil capitalist" or w/e. That's what I see on most comments from liberals about him. They love the fact that he's the only politician to call out against the wars and all this, yet they think that he is clearly wrong on economics.

JoshLowry
12-03-2010, 02:55 PM
Meh, they'll say how much Ron Paul rocks, but in the end they won't for him because he is an "evil capitalist" or w/e. That's what I see on most comments from liberals about him. They love the fact that he's the only politician to call out against the wars and all this, yet they think that he is clearly wrong on economics.

You will always have a certain percentage of the population that will never vote for an R or a D.

Redditors in the center are being won back.

MRoCkEd
12-03-2010, 03:04 PM
They sure don't like Rand though!

JoshLowry
12-03-2010, 03:07 PM
They sure don't like Rand though!

Yea, the smears from the campaign still have an effect that lingers.

He's going to need to be solid for 2 or 3 years before those who dislike him now can be won back.

brandon
12-03-2010, 03:11 PM
I'm at reddit everyday. Ron Paul was #1 a week or two ago with some of his TSA comments as well.

The place has a high concentration of anti-republican liberals. It's quite annoying. There are some libertarians around there though.

tremendoustie
12-03-2010, 03:31 PM
Yea, the smears from the campaign still have an effect that lingers.

He's going to need to be solid for 2 or 3 years before those who dislike him now can be won back.

I'd rather they like ron and dislike rand than vice versa.

Other than on immigration, I rarely hear ron say anything that's not spot on the money.

I'm glad to hear there are still some honest thinkers around.

tremendoustie
12-03-2010, 03:33 PM
I'm at reddit everyday. Ron Paul was #1 a week or two ago with some of his TSA comments as well.

The place has a high concentration of anti-republican liberals. It's quite annoying. There are some libertarians around there though.

Anti-republican, anti-war, anti-surveillance, pro civil liberty liberals, or obamafanbois?

Edit: These comments are great.

brandon
12-03-2010, 03:49 PM
^ some of both. Too many idiots though. Some extreme partisanship going on over there.

Epic
12-03-2010, 05:13 PM
They are with us on everything besides economics.

It's cause they just get taught Keynesianism and big-governmentism in the media and lap it up.

To a large extent, they don't connect the welfarism and warfarism. They don't see that by implementing all the welfare, the US government derives support for all the "bad" things they do.

brandon
12-03-2010, 05:33 PM
It's more than just that. They also are extremely politically correct. And through some sort of cognitive dissonance they hold an extreme disdain for religious people and for prejudiced people. They are strong believers in group rights.

militant
12-03-2010, 06:05 PM

Agreed. My great grandmother finally turned on Obama today. She has copies of his books and campaign materials by her recliner. During our conversation today, I pointed out that WL has revealed proof that Obama worked in secret to pressure the Spanish gov't to drop its investigation of Bush's torture and other related things - she sputtered and started stomping her feet, and said she was seeing more and more that it's Bush's 3rd term... she said 'where the hell is the openness and change we were promised??'

The times, they are a-changing....

RonPaulGetsIt
12-03-2010, 06:22 PM
It's more than just that. They also are extremely politically correct. And through some sort of cognitive dissonance they hold an extreme disdain for religious people and for prejudiced people. They are strong believers in group rights.

They need to realize that a person has rights because they are a human being and not because they belong to a particular group.

malkusm
12-03-2010, 06:25 PM
It's cause they just get taught Keynesianism and big-governmentism in the media and lap it up.

No. By and large, liberals have never taken an economics course. It's not taught in some high schools, and where it is taught, it's not required.

Even Keynesians understand that the government must eventually repay its debts. Even Keynesians understand that a market economy is the most effecitve allocator of resources. These people aren't Keynesian economists....they are anti-economists.

oyarde
12-03-2010, 06:31 PM
They are with us on everything besides economics.

To a large extent, they don't connect the welfarism and warfarism. They don't see that by implementing all the welfare, the US government derives support for all the "bad" things they do.

Economics may be the most important part of Liberty . If people attain wealth , they can afford to fight the other parts .

dannno
12-03-2010, 06:35 PM

Agreed. My great grandmother finally turned on Obama today. She has copies of his books and campaign materials by her recliner. During our conversation today, I pointed out that WL has revealed proof that Obama worked in secret to pressure the Spanish gov't to drop its investigation of Bush's torture and other related things - she sputtered and started stomping her feet, and said she was seeing more and more that it's Bush's 3rd term... she said 'where the hell is the openness and change we were promised??'

The times, they are a-changing....

Ya it's really hard when people have so much emotion caught up in all of this.

MRoCkEd
12-04-2010, 01:10 PM
New Ron Paul post on reddit.

JoshLowry
12-04-2010, 01:15 PM
Everyone needs to sign up for reddit.

It will make you smarter.

Also subscribe to r/libertyforest

sailingaway
12-04-2010, 02:47 PM
Everyone needs to sign up for reddit.

It will make you smarter.

Also subscribe to r/libertyforest

I signed up for reddit to vote for a Ron Paul link yesterday. Apparently, it didn't make me smart enough to figure out how to subscribe to r/libertyforest, however.

JoshLowry
12-04-2010, 03:39 PM
I signed up for reddit to vote for a Ron Paul link yesterday. Apparently, it didn't make me smart enough to figure out how to subscribe to r/libertyforest, however.

http://www.reddit.com/r/libertyforest

I may try and push it just to see what happens. At the moment, the subreddit is useless.

farrar
12-04-2010, 07:42 PM
No. By and large, liberals have never taken an economics course. It's not taught in some high schools, and where it is taught, it's not required.

Even Keynesians understand that the government must eventually repay its debts. Even Keynesians understand that a market economy is the most effecitve allocator of resources. These people aren't Keynesian economists....they are anti-economists.

The main difference it seems, between Austrian economists and modern economists (and to that extent Keynesians), isn't what matters (the underlying logic) but the direction we choose to take with it.

Unfortunately economics is not an exact science, and really thats all we can do. Each school merely takes what it believes to be unarguable logic and decided what it must mean, a decision that quite possibly may have an infinite number of solutions.

Of course the reality will only have a solution, but we can never know if we found the answer, only that it appears to be better or worse than the last time.

Thats why I tend to be critical more so of those who use utilitarianism to argue their economic points as opposed to morality.

tangent4ronpaul
12-04-2010, 08:20 PM
There have been several posts about trends and what's hot lately. Lets consider that for a moment. There are things like twitters #whatever and the most popular are listed for any particular time. Attach that hashtag (whatever is hot) to a message, and it will be seen. Likewise, on the news aggregaters, first you need a publishing outlet that is picked up, then you need to touch on something that is popular / hot and tie that in to what you want to talk about. For example, you could write a couple of sentences about how Wikileaks BoA release might effect economics, then a couple of pages about the evils of Kensian economics. If Wikileaks is a hot topic that day, it's likely to find itself in the top few pages of matches for searchers. Another way to tailgate, is if you find a breaking story that allows comments and you can get your comment in the first few - after that, most won't read it, but the early ones are likely to get read by many.

-t

KramerDSP
12-04-2010, 08:23 PM
I found this comment from Reddit interesting:

Ron Paul is like Bill Hicks. Ideas come from him that resonate strongly with my own personal view on life, but even when I disagree with what I hear, I can still take something away from that disagreement. You can tell that he's not only completely sincere, he's also very passionate about his line of work and hopes he can change the world.

Rand Paul is like Denis Leary. He stole a bunch of ideas from his predecessor, wrapped them up in a visibly fake act in an attempt to make it big.

And that is why I like Ron Paul yet can't stand his son.

sailingaway
12-04-2010, 08:27 PM
http://www.reddit.com/r/libertyforest

I may try and push it just to see what happens. At the moment, the subreddit is useless.

OK, I think I subscribed (I pushed front page then went into my profile and pushed 'libertyforest' and when I went back you had one more reader. Um, I think you need more....)