PDA

View Full Version : Ron Paul stands up for Julian Assange

CheezItsRule
12-03-2010, 12:12 PM
http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1210/45930.html

Jordan
12-03-2010, 12:16 PM
This is probably going to come back to bite him in the ass in 2012, but whatever. Do your thing, Ron.

Justinjj1
12-03-2010, 12:19 PM
Good for Ron.

What about Rand, has he commented on wikileaks?

amy31416
12-03-2010, 12:22 PM
This is probably going to come back to bite him in the ass in 2012, but whatever. Do your thing, Ron.

It wouldn't be the first time...and him standing up for his principles, whether they are popular or not, is the main thing that I respect about him--even when I don't agree with his statements (this is not one of those rare cases.)

Sounds like you have a problem with that, which surprises me--it's not at all unexpected from him.

Wesker1982
12-03-2010, 12:25 PM
Truth is treason in an empire of lies.

vita3
12-03-2010, 12:27 PM
Ron Paul is the only politican that really walks the talk, on the mantle of CHANGE in Washington DC.

Acala
12-03-2010, 12:30 PM
He is a giant among men.

Travlyr
12-03-2010, 12:31 PM
+ 2012 Awesome!

Another beautiful principled stand Dr. Paul. Good question. How can an Australian be guilty of American treason?

“This whole notion that Assange, who's an Australian, that we want to prosecute him for treason. I mean, aren't they jumping to a wild conclusion?” he added. “This is media, isn't it? I mean, why don't we prosecute The New York Times or anybody that releases this?”

Read more: http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1210/45930.html#ixzz174hPnj41

Acala
12-03-2010, 12:39 PM
How can an Australian be guilty of American treason?

The same way Manuel Noriega can be found in volation of US law - when he never entered the country.

moostraks
12-03-2010, 12:43 PM
+ 2012 Awesome!

Another beautiful principled stand Dr. Paul. Good question. How can an Australian be guilty of American treason?

This truly puzzles me as well. The whole mentality is a demand to accept whatever the US does with fidelity no matter what your home country is and that is crap.

vita3
12-03-2010, 12:54 PM
Americans are more sheep then man or women, & have lost moral conscience

Reason
12-03-2010, 01:02 PM
awesome

dannno
12-03-2010, 01:09 PM
woot!

lester1/2jr
12-03-2010, 01:11 PM
I guess I shouldn't be surpirsed but I've been vcery dissapointed in some peoples faux anger at wikileaks.

mainly people on the right who I thought were cool.

Vessol
12-03-2010, 01:14 PM
<3

charrob
12-03-2010, 01:18 PM
Ron paul 2012 !!!

Aratus
12-03-2010, 01:18 PM
the last few years of the bush administration had many people
wanting to impeach the president and vice-president... both!!!

Vessol
12-03-2010, 01:32 PM
So is Ron Paul the only Congressman/Senator standing up for Assange? Or politician for that matter?

dannno
12-03-2010, 01:41 PM
So is Ron Paul the only Congressman/Senator standing up for Assange? Or politician for that matter?

Probably..

cswake
12-03-2010, 02:18 PM
He's getting through:

h ttp://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x9681875

amy31416
12-03-2010, 02:23 PM
He's getting through:

h ttp://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x9681875

Thanks for the link...so far the comments have calmed a bit of the rage I'm feeling about so many calling for Assange's assassination, along with the fellow who was shot by a cop because he was depressed.

RonPaulCult
12-03-2010, 02:54 PM
He's getting through:

Some of these comments are AWESOME!

I think I am sick. This is the second thing in two days that I agree with Ron Paul. I also like to see that he is not toeing the repug line whenever they say jump.

Wait. A republican defends freedom and a Democratic administration tries to strangle it? The world turned upside down.

silentshout
12-03-2010, 03:20 PM
Good for him! And i like the DU thread as well.

sailingaway
12-03-2010, 03:27 PM
Here's free republic on the topic - comments mixed.

The funniest basically excuses him as a libertarian, saying libertarians sometimes just posture, it's in their blood, and libertarians are sometimes effete.

Not that I agree, but it is kinder than the guy who apparently thinks Ron should be tried for treason along with wikileaks.

htt p://209.157.64.201/focus/f-chat/2637074/posts

Jordan
12-03-2010, 03:37 PM
It wouldn't be the first time...and him standing up for his principles, whether they are popular or not, is the main thing that I respect about him--even when I don't agree with his statements (this is not one of those rare cases.)

Sounds like you have a problem with that, which surprises me--it's not at all unexpected from him.

I don't really have a problem with it. It just hurts to know that it'll probably be made a big deal in 2012. :(

sailingaway
12-03-2010, 03:41 PM
I don't really have a problem with it. It just hurts to know that it'll probably be made a big deal in 2012. :(

Yeah. I'm where you are. Speaking up for what is right is why we love him, but it doesn't mean we don't know he's making himself into a target to some, for little 'gain' in a political sense.

Which is why 'smart politicians' never speak up for what is right when it is unpopular, I guess. Leadership.

ClayTrainor
12-03-2010, 03:45 PM

Fuck it. Let them make a big deal out of it. They're going to attack Ron Paul for absurd reasons, regardless of how vocal he is about his principles on certain issues like this one.

Lucille
12-03-2010, 04:40 PM
HotAir has this up in their headlines. The comments are what you'd might expect. I commented too, asked them if they had cognitive dissonance much.

lester1/2jr
12-03-2010, 04:46 PM
"26. This just in: Broken clock correct twice a day.
Save the Valentines for someone more worthy than Ron Fucking Paul.

Response to Reply #26
30. Like who? "

Knightskye
12-03-2010, 05:10 PM
Truth is treason in an empire of lies.

QFT.

Ron Paul is standing up for truth and freedom of the press. The adult in the room.

JamesButabi
12-03-2010, 05:16 PM
This is what has always made Ron Paul great. You know something like this or smearish in manner will be brought up during a debate. You also know this often gives Ron Paul a chance to really hammer home a point and become a breath of fresh air that wakes up a great deal of individuals who are completely baffled that this man isn't towing the line.

sailingaway
12-03-2010, 05:26 PM
Daily Caller did a piece on it which has been picked up by yahoo news: http://news.yahoo.com/s/dailycaller/texasrepronpauldone28099tprosecutewikileaksjuliana ssange

Epic
12-03-2010, 05:28 PM
This is actually going to HELP Ron Paul, not hurt him.

He is basically the ONLY Politico to stand up for Assange. So he has basically cornered the market.

mczerone
12-03-2010, 05:33 PM

Response to Reply #26
30. Like who? "

How come I hear that about every damned thing the liberals comment on about Ron Paul?

Certainly they aren't dense enough to believe with everything he says, but still dismiss him as not agreeing with anything they believe?

Oh wait...

vita3
12-03-2010, 05:33 PM
The facts of our State Dept & all the other agencies overreaching to control the World, all back Ron's Foreign Policy ideas 100%

So does Fiscal Responsibilty.

lester1/2jr
12-03-2010, 05:53 PM
mczerone- I hate the clock cliche too, but I liked when #30 asked who they should "save their valenties for" if not ron paul . good question

sailingaway
12-03-2010, 06:08 PM
Tumblr is going mad over this (I never heard of tumblr before, by the way....) check out the comments:

http://tsibugan.tumblr.com/post/2084961960/afghanibanani-sometimes-it-is-highly-beneficial

Cowlesy
12-03-2010, 06:15 PM
Another reason why even Republicans in Congress fear Ron Paul. He can't be bought, he does what he wants, and says what he wants. Instead of picking between Left and Right, he picks Right, but between Right and Wrong.

Corto_Maltese
12-03-2010, 06:16 PM
This is why I, and almost everyone else here, loves Ron and the liberty movement!
Just wish Jon Stewart would bring this up to futher spread it among the liberals.

KramerDSP
12-03-2010, 06:58 PM

Response to Reply #26
30. Like who? "

I hate that broken clock analogy.

Ron Paul was right on Iraq.
He was right on the Patriot Act.
He would end the undeclared wars.
He would work towards stopping the erosion of civil liberties.
He's right on the NYC Mosque.
He's right on the TSA overreach.
He was right on Fannie and Freddie and the Housing Bubble.
He was right about the Fed bailing out overseas banks.
He was right about Lebanon in 1981.
He's right on the concept of Blowback.
He's right on Wikileaks.

Broken Clock, MY ASS!!!

raiha
12-03-2010, 07:11 PM
Yippeeee. Ron Paul the Noble of the Nobles :cool:. No doubt Huckabee, who wants Assange executed, will probably also want Ron Paul executed too.

:eek:Scary people you have in your country.:eek::eek:

dannno
12-03-2010, 07:17 PM
Yippeeee. Ron Paul the Noble of the Nobles :cool:. No doubt Huckabee, who wants Assange executed, will probably also want Ron Paul executed too.

:eek:Scary people you have in your country.:eek::eek:

Well to be fair, the only quote I've heard from Huckabee is that the person in the government who leaked the documents should be executed, not wikileaks themselves :confused:

Maybe he meant wikileaks leaked it so they should be executed too, I could be wrong.

amy31416
12-03-2010, 07:30 PM

I understand, but in my opinion, it's something to be proud of. If he was on the gov't bloodthirsty bandwagon to go out and kill someone for putting the truth out there about what's going on behind closed doors, or if he kept silent about it--I'd have a huge problem with that.

Ron Paul doesn't support murder, he's consistent across the board.

oyarde
12-03-2010, 07:41 PM
+ 2012 Awesome!

He cannot as far as I know , that would be the private who violated his security clearence . Even foreigners though can be charged with espionage . If the dept of justice were to go after the Australian , that would be they law the would use .

raiha
12-03-2010, 07:42 PM
Well to be fair, the only quote I've heard from Huckabee is that the person in the government who leaked the documents should be executed, not wikileaks themselves :confused:

Maybe he meant wikileaks leaked it so they should be executed too, I could be wrong.

You are correct. I went after the wrong moron. I should've referred to Palin and this big, tough, man:

http://townhall.com/columnists/JohnHawkins/2010/11/30/5_reasons_the_cia_should_have_already_killed_julia n_assange/page/full/

heavenlyboy34
12-03-2010, 08:00 PM
Thanks, RP. :)

cswake
12-03-2010, 08:02 PM
Hahaha. Look at this insight:

The left has no political power or clout in this country. The current battle for our future is between anarcho-libertarians and police-state corporate communists.

Pick your poison. I know which I prefer, and it isn't the one that's trashing the value of my money, murdering civilians around the globe and empowering a modern day Stasi to protect themselves from the consequences of their corruption.

oyarde
12-03-2010, 08:06 PM
Hahaha. Look at this insight:

I see she is doing her homework .

TheTyke
12-03-2010, 08:43 PM
Edit: Posted in the wrong topic, oops.

bunklocoempire
12-03-2010, 08:52 PM
I see she is doing her homework .

She sounds like an Ed Head.

Keep the faith Ron! Thank you!:)

Bunkloco

CAKochenash
12-03-2010, 09:21 PM
What if Ron was let in on the contents of the insurance file?

Perhaps a red carpet to the WH when wikileaks scatters the roaches in the coming months?

Feeding the Abscess
12-03-2010, 09:40 PM
Ron would pass away from "natural causes" before becoming president in that case.

Anti Federalist
12-03-2010, 10:11 PM

* facepalm *

devil21
12-03-2010, 11:11 PM
Anybody have a video link to RP's interview on FoxBiz? I searched around but couldn't find anything.

Feeding the Abscess
12-03-2010, 11:15 PM
* facepalm *

No kidding. The Republican appeasement around here is unbelievable.

There's no way they've read anything from pre-2008 about the Republican Party.

KCIndy
12-04-2010, 01:16 AM
Earlier this evening I noticed on Yahoo that the name "Ron Paul" was trending high in the top ten searches. :D

This is getting some notice, and I was quite happy to see that the comments on most of the news sites carrying this story (at least the ones I looked at) were running Pro-Ron at about 3 to 1. Maybe some of the sheeple are starting to wake up... finally.

Anti Federalist
12-04-2010, 01:25 AM
No kidding. The Republican appeasement around here is unbelievable.

There's no way they've read anything from pre-2008 about the Republican Party.

Well, to be fair, the poster that made that comment has been around for a while.

But he is part of the contingent that seems to think Ron Paul is done for every time he opens his mouth about something controversial and pisses off the GOP "establishment".

Fuck the GOP establishment, they are one half of the problem that has gotten us into this everfucking mess.

RP will win higher political office or not, I don't really care, I'm all in regardless as long as he continues to be the only honest man in DC. That honesty is reflected in stances like this one vis. Wikileaks.

eOs
12-04-2010, 01:39 AM
Well, to be fair, the poster that made that comment has been around for a while.

But he is part of the contingent that seems to think Ron Paul is done for every time he opens his mouth about something controversial and pisses of the GOP "establishment".

Fuck the GOP establishment, they are one half of the problem that has gotten us into this everfucking mess.

RP will win higher political office or not, I don't really care, I'm all in regardless as long as he continues to be the only honest man in DC. That honesty is reflected in stances like this one vis. Wikileaks.

+rep

AParadigmShift
12-04-2010, 02:06 AM
as long as he continues to be the only honest man in DC. That honesty is reflected in stances like this one vis. Wikileaks.

Yep.

Our RP is a statesman, par excellence.

To hear (on Freedom Watch) an elected official suggest the likes of Assange, Ellsburg and Manning are agents of truth, practitioners of civil disobedience while the rest of the Republicrats and media are busy defending what they view as the "majesty of the state" under threat, is to the senior Paul's eternal credit.

He is simply, amazing.

devil21
12-04-2010, 02:37 AM
I found the video of the interview here:

YouTube - Ron Paul: "What We Need Is More WikiLeaks On The Federal Reserve" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNNFVjBVEtQ&feature=player_embedded)

lester1/2jr
12-04-2010, 12:10 PM
a broken clock is right twice a day

a clock that is set to the wrong time is never right

sailingaway
12-04-2010, 12:23 PM

But he is part of the contingent that seems to think Ron Paul is done for every time he opens his mouth about something controversial and pisses off the GOP "establishment".

I think some of the stations you'd think would be cheering Ron on are making a 'he's a nut' issue out of this because of Ron's committee appointment, to fragment support. I want him to get his subcommittee. I want Rand to get his committees. Then whatever happens, happens. I'm proud of him for taking this stance, I just do see potential cost and wish we could have kept more of the election unity a bit longer.

Mind you, the GOP loses if we don't, in 2012.

JacobG18
12-05-2010, 07:23 AM
wow these people are awful :(

http://www.rightnation.us/forums/index.php?showtopic=173796&st=0

cswake
12-05-2010, 08:19 AM
^ Some of them need to get a better understanding of republicanism and the Constitution. The ones who are calling for Assange's head need to answer on whether they see bloggers as journalists, and if not, what criteria they use to judge if someone is a journalist. (My hunch is something along the lines of state permission)

Jordan
12-05-2010, 03:11 PM

My comment was reflecting merely on the "rock and a hard place," and the "damned if you do, damned if you don't" position RP finds himself in half these battles. It's unfortunate this has become a big issue right as committee appointments are being made and only weeks before the 2012 race begins.

The government has already told employees that Assange support shows an inability to deal with classified information. Wonder what happens when they use the same line of thinking to deny Ron Paul and company access to Fed information vaults, or a position on a committee?

If there is one contingent in which you can accurately place me, it would be "those who have shed 2007 naivety for electoral and political success." I watched through a whole election cycle as I thought that an anti-war, anti-drug war, anti-entitlement Republican might win the presidency. Then I realized that no one outside the single digits of the libertarian fringe bothered to pull the lever for him.

In the grand scheme of things, there was nothing to be immediately gained, but plenty (his chair) to lose. While his comments may be the mark of his integrity, honesty, and consistency, in the pursuit of a committee chair, the timing of his comments may be his biggest folly.

If it is too much to realize that there is a con to every pro, and a cost to every gain, well, we should probably just give up now.