PDA

View Full Version : Action Alert: Steering committee does not vote for rons chair

Chester Copperpot
12-03-2010, 08:41 AM
I wanted to make everybody aware of something...

Ive gone thru about half the list from one of the other users posts on the members of the House Republican Steering committee.

Most of the people were nice though non-informed..

But then I got to Congressman Lamar Smith (TX-21) 202-225-4236

The staffer there actually was the only guy to check for me, but then said Ron Paul is going for a subcommittee chair and the House Steering Committee doesnt vote on that.

He then patched me through to another more informed staffer: Mr. Robert Fisher

He informed me that the House Republican Steering Committee votes for the chair of other committees.. But that the Chair of a SUBCOMMITTEE is voted upon by the parent committee.... And he said in the case of the Subcommittee on Domestic Monetary Policy that proper people to contact are the congressmen in the "Committee on Financial Services" because they are the ones who will actually be voting for the chair of the subcommittee

Maybe we can get a list and try this again..

Wanted to make you all aware of this pronto

SeanKim
12-03-2010, 08:49 AM
Wow...great job!! We should change the calling list then.

MRoCkEd
12-03-2010, 08:51 AM
Important information... can we get a confirmation on this?

Chester Copperpot
12-03-2010, 09:04 AM
wow what a cluster fuck...... im on the phone with the committee people now...

aravoth
12-03-2010, 09:06 AM
wow what a cluster fuck...... im on the phone with the committee people now...

typical government run-around?

Chester Copperpot
12-03-2010, 09:11 AM
Okay.. so get this.

I go to the committee website and call them.. speak to a guy named mark...

He tells me yes that the committee on financial services votes for the subcommitee chair.

So I ask him "so that means both republicans and democrats will be voting for the chair of the subcommitte?"

and he replies that he represents the majority caucus (democrats) but that the minority caucus (republicans) would be able to give me specifics because when they run into the new congress theyll be the majority caucus and pretty much vote in whomever.

So I get patched thru to the minority caucus line (republican) and the lady tells me the "House Republican Steering committee" does the voting.

I informed her that Ive been told 2 different conflicting sets of information.

my only available option at that point was to get patched thru to a particular person named Marisol who would know the answer to that but who was in a meeting at the moment.

I left a voicemail for Marisol with one simple question: "I need to know which congresspeople vote on the chairmanship for the subcommittee on domestic monetary policy."

I am awaiting her phone call.. and will let you know ASAP

Sola_Fide
12-03-2010, 09:15 AM
Wow...i left messages or called half the offices on that list already:)

Lets get a new list!

JVParkour
12-03-2010, 09:15 AM
Great work dude, this stuff can be aggravating, but keep it up!

Chester Copperpot
12-03-2010, 09:16 AM
I want to call congressman Hal Rogers office again.. that woman was such a sweetheart.. my gracious

Stary Hickory
12-03-2010, 09:16 AM
Wish I could help I am in DC, Ron needs tohave that Chair for sure.

Chester Copperpot
12-03-2010, 09:19 AM
Wish I could help I am in DC, Ron needs tohave that Chair for sure.

If I was in DC id be paying these congresspeople a visit in person.

Id be showing them the money I carry with me to educate people on the federal reserve..

Hell I only live 4 hours from DC so maybe I should come down and do it anyway

invisible
12-03-2010, 09:39 AM
If an in-person effort can be coordinated, I may very well be up for it. I'm within easy driving distance, although parking in DC is a bitch.

ronpaulhawaii
12-03-2010, 09:48 AM
From RP's office

the steerign committee will select Committee chairman, subcommittee chairamn are picked by the committee chairs

tsai3904
12-03-2010, 09:49 AM
Sorry about posting the full list of Steering Committee members if your information is correct.

Every single news articles that describes what the Steering Committee does explains that they select Committee and Subcommittee chairmanships.

I hope you get the right information and let us all know.

tsai3904
12-03-2010, 09:54 AM
subcommittee chairamn are picked by the committee chairs

Does this mean all the Committee Chairmans (House Appropriations Committee, Energy Committee, etc.) or the Committee members (specifically the Financial Services Committee)?

austrobrady
12-03-2010, 09:57 AM
This suggests that the HFS Committee Chair personally and unilaterly dissolved (and un-dissolved) the committee twice before to deny Doctor Paul the Sub-committee Chair. My understanding is that this is not accurate and the leadership (Tom Delay) through the Steering Committee altered the HFS Subcommittee structure.

Keep calling the Steering Committee and, yes, the HFS members, too.

ronpaulhawaii
12-03-2010, 09:58 AM
I'm standing by for more info:

Michael Maresco - is there an authoritive list of offices to call. People are chomping at the bit...

ronpaulhawaii
12-03-2010, 10:09 AM
Developing...

Dawn Marie Clark - This from the DP. This thread is front and top:

I just called Ron Paul's office - and got the skinney.

They are likely to vote on the seat next week (wed/thurs) and Paul is the senior person in line to be appointed. He said there has been no indication that Paul will not be appointed. I told him about the news article and that WE we're pretty hacked out here about it. He said calling Cantor & Boehner could have a negative impact.

BUT - if they skip over Paul (which will be announced next week) the full House of Rep's (Republicans only) have to ratify all the appointments. So if they do skip him, the phone campaign should begin then.

Sola_Fide
12-03-2010, 10:13 AM
Hmmmm...makes sense to wait for the phone campaign if that is accurate...

Chester Copperpot
12-03-2010, 10:26 AM
okay got the information... finally.

The chairmanship of the SUBCOMMITTEE ON DOMESTIC MONETARY POLICY is decided upon BY the CHAIR of the COMMITTEE ON FINANCIAL SERVICES (Spencer Bachus) in consultation with GOP leadership.

This means Congressman Spencer Bachus is the guy who ultimately makes the decision but he does so with overall GOP leadership discussion (input from guys like John Boehner)

This comes from Marisol who is the communications director over at the Financial services committee..

Shes a very nice lady and when I mentioned I was not a newspaper but just a 'Ron Paul person' she was happy to talk to me as well.

Was afraid of giving out her last name for me to put on a blog or something..

I told her nobody is going to be mad at her how these guys vote.,. I just want to know who im talking to in case it comes back the information is in error

Chester Copperpot
12-03-2010, 10:26 AM
Let me clarify.. Spencer Bachus will be the new chair with the new congress.

tsai3904
12-03-2010, 10:37 AM
http://thehill.com/blogs/on-the-money/domestic-taxes/131197-conservative-group-backs-royce-for-financial-services-chair

Ed Royce (CA-40) is challenging Spencer Bachus (AL-06) for the Chairman position.

http://thehill.com/blogs/on-the-money/domestic-taxes/131633-neugebauer-thinks-bachus-will-chair-financial-services

However, Randy Neugebauer (TX-19) said Thursday that he expects Spencer Bachus will be the next chairman of the House Financial Services Committee.

Chester Copperpot
12-03-2010, 11:02 AM
http://thehill.com/blogs/on-the-money/domestic-taxes/131197-conservative-group-backs-royce-for-financial-services-chair

Ed Royce (CA-40) is challenging Spencer Bachus (AL-06) for the Chairman position.

http://thehill.com/blogs/on-the-money/domestic-taxes/131633-neugebauer-thinks-bachus-will-chair-financial-services

However, Randy Neugebauer (TX-19) said Thursday that he expects Spencer Bachus will be the next chairman of the House Financial Services Committee.

Well I think a call to both ROyce's office and Bachus's office is in order at least.

sailingaway
12-03-2010, 11:10 AM
Michael Nystrom points out that this committee was MADE for Ron:

http://www.dailypaul.com/node/151124#comment-1596781

Chester Copperpot
12-03-2010, 11:18 AM
Michael Nystrom points out that this committee was MADE for Ron:

http://www.dailypaul.com/node/151124#comment-1596781

the banks are aware of this too... therefore they pay off boehner to subvert ron pauls position

fisharmor
12-03-2010, 11:25 AM
the banks are aware of this too... therefore they pay off boehner to subvert ron pauls position

Indeed - I was kind of surprised that anyone told you that voting was involved. I was suspecting that it was all back-room dealing, and it is.

I'm not going to be that mad when some boilerplate Keynsian jerkwad ends up in the chair. I think it's a foregone conclusion.

erowe1
12-03-2010, 11:25 AM
From this House rules committee document:
http://www.rules.house.gov/archives/98-610.pdf

Under Republican Conference rules, each committee leader determines and provides
to other Republican members of the committee the method for selecting subcommittee
leaders. However, a majority of the Republican Members of the full committee can
disapprove the selection procedure. Republican Conference rules changes for the 108th
Congress required subcommittee leaders of the Appropriations Committee to receive full
conference approval. Republicans limit members to a single committee or subcommittee
leadership slot; the leadership of the Standards of Official Conduct Committee and the
House Administration Committee are exempt, thereby allowing a Member to rank on
either of these panels and an additional panel. Finally, Republican Conference rules
prohibit a full-committee leader from leading a subcommittee of the committee he or she
heads.

That might be out of date. And I notice that there are proposed rules changes for the next session that will be voted on Dec. 8 (http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/12/02/g-o-p-proposes-rule-changes-for-house/?partner=rss&emc=rss).

But, if it follows the rules that were in effect when that document was written, then it is true that the decision about a subcommittee chair appointment will be internal to the Financial Services committee.

Liberty Rebellion
12-03-2010, 11:55 AM
Can someone help me get this information to Ron Paul 2012 facebook page? They just posted a message telling everyone to call Boehner

Michigan11
12-03-2010, 12:22 PM
Well thanks for gathering all this information. Already called Boehner's office twice. I was polite though, just pressed on the staff member that I was watching. I'm surprised I got through so easily though...

So we should hold off or what?

Lord Xar
12-03-2010, 12:33 PM
Developing...

So, shouldn't we get a new post suggesting people STOP calling as I am sure hundreds already have....