PDA

View Full Version : If John Boehner is successful at blocking Ron Paul from Chairmanship...

freshjiva
12-02-2010, 11:30 PM
....that could seriously set the precedent for a true Independent run at the Presidency. If Ron Paul's own party's House Speaker is preventing him from chairing a committee he clearly is more qualified for than anyone else in line, we need to send a strong message to the Republican Party that we don't need them.

Ron has enough support to launch a devastating assault on the Republican Party by running in 2012 as an Independent candidate. That way, he'd be on the ballot in all 50 states, draw 10-15% (or more) of the vote away from the Republican candidate, and screw the party over.

Of course our goal isn't to screw any political party, but to effect change. But if the Republican establishment doesn't understand that they're playing with fire by trying to shortchange Dr. Paul, they will pay a heavy price.

FrankRep
12-02-2010, 11:33 PM
Ron has enough support to launch a devastating assault on the Republican Party by running in 2012 as an Independent candidate.

For the Millionth time:

NO

Ron Paul knows the system is biased and he's not stupid enough to run third party.

RileyE104
12-02-2010, 11:35 PM
wait wait did i miss something??

are they actually making an attempt to block Ron or is this just speculation?

american.swan
12-02-2010, 11:35 PM
The current head of the Finance Services Committee, Frank, opinion is "the GOP is afraid the Tea Party would revolt if Paul doesn't get the committee."

If Frank knows, the GOP knows they are playing with fire, especially considering Rand's win and the "waking up" of many Americans. If they don't give Dr. Ron his due, they will have to have a huge public relations disaster and the Tea Party which is growing like a weed is going to cause HUGE fits. Even some on wall street probably want Ron to get his due.

freshjiva
12-02-2010, 11:36 PM
For the Millionth time:

NO

Ron Paul knows the system is biased and he's not stupid enough to run third party.

For the millionth time,

THE REPUBLICAN ESTABLISHMENT HATES RON PAUL.

american.swan
12-02-2010, 11:36 PM
Another point. There are NO accidents in politics. The "leak" of "rumors" is likely to gage response. We should take a LOUD stand NOW and not AFTER they don't give it to him.

FrankRep
12-02-2010, 11:38 PM
For the millionth time,

Ron Paul is a Republican Congressman. His plan worked.

freshjiva
12-02-2010, 11:47 PM
Ron Paul is a Republican Congressman. His plan worked.

Listen, I know Ron has repeatedly stated he's a Republican and would only seek Republican nomination.

But this is a substantive event IF the rumors are true about John Boehner wanting to block Ron from chairing the monetary policy subcommittee.

That is a direct slap in the face by a House Speaker onto a senior ranking member of the House Financial Services committee.

If Ron's own party won't give him his due respect and earned privilege, why should he remain a Republican Congressmen? So that he can continue voting alone, be ridiculed by the MSM, and give speeches to an empty House floor?

I want Ron to be Chairman to elevate the Austrian free market ideas even more mainstream.

And if the Republican Party blocks him, they should pay a heavy price.

FrankRep
12-02-2010, 11:52 PM
But this is a substantive event IF the rumors are true about John Boehner wanting to block Ron from chairing the monetary policy subcommittee.

That is a direct slap in the face by a House Speaker onto a senior ranking member of the House Financial Services committee.

If Ron's own party won't give him his due respect and earned privilege, why should he remain a Republican Congressmen? So that he can continue voting alone, be ridiculed by the MSM, and give speeches to an empty House floor?

Does it upset you that Ron Paul is a Congressman?
Your plan will make him lose the election.

sailingaway
12-02-2010, 11:53 PM
Don't let him be successful at blocking Ron's chairmanship.

Kregisen
12-03-2010, 12:30 AM
If Ron goes Indy in 2012, he screws Rand over.

If Obama wins re-election in 2012, I will seriously bet money that Rand will be the next president in 2016. It's no contest.

If Ron leaves the Republican party and "gives" the election to Obama in 2012, people will hate Rand for it too and use it against him.

If Rand wasn't a politician I would totally consider an indy run just for the hell of it....but in this case, absolutely not.

Reason
12-03-2010, 12:32 AM
http://digg.com/news/politics/john_boehner_discussing_ways_to_prevent_ron_paul_f rom_becoming_chairman

puppetmaster
12-03-2010, 12:39 AM

If Obama wins re-election in 2012, I will seriously bet money that Rand will be the next president in 2016. It's no contest.

If Ron leaves the Republican party and "gives" the election to Obama in 2012, people will hate Rand for it too and use it against him.

If Rand wasn't a politician I would totally consider an indy run just for the hell of it....but in this case, absolutely not.

all speculation.....wait till 2012...then spout

Promontorium
12-03-2010, 12:57 AM
But this is a substantive event

Don't you mean substantial event? There really isn't any substance to this event, it is one possible quote, however that quote has substantial implications.

I don't want to go off on a rant here but it seems the word "substantive" has become the buzzword for pundits in late 2010, used ubiquitously in every interview. Early 2010 saw the multi-daily use of "pull the trigger", and in 2009 we had "reset". The best are when you hear someone cram every buzz-word possible in a sentence;

"This is a substantive issue, we need to pull the trigger on this and reset our goals"...rraaaaggggeee

Sola_Fide
12-03-2010, 01:47 AM

Agree.

I do believe that Rand Paul will be President of the United States one day. I really do believe that.

squarepusher
12-03-2010, 02:03 AM
Agree.

I do believe that Rand Paul will be President of the United States one day. I really do believe that.

yeah he has a good chance imo as well.

devil21
12-03-2010, 02:26 AM
I keep seeing people question whether the GOP leadership is indeed working to stop RP from chairing a committee again. Here is your proof. The banks are terrified, the Fed is terrified, and big-spending Republicans are scared.

http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/10_50/b4207035613107.htm

He believes his oversight role is long overdue. "There has been a politically cozy relationship between Congress and the Federal Reserve," he says. That includes past efforts to keep him from heading the subcommittee. "Republican leadership, with the Fed's influence, has been working to keep me away from this for a long time. That's not going to happen this time."

His prediction may be premature. Five GOP leadership aides, speaking anonymously because a decision isn't final, say incoming House Speaker John Boehner has discussed ways to prevent Paul from becoming chairman or to keep him on a tight leash if he does. If Boehner, who will help determine who gets to chair subcommittees as early as Dec. 8, rejects Paul, he may have to contend with thousands of grassroots supporters (devil21: damn right! try millions) and dozens of younger lawmakers who see Paul as a hero. Boehner, through a spokesman, declined to comment. "A lot of the older members probably think Ron is a little bit out of step," says Representative Bill Posey, a Florida Republican and unabashed Paul fan. "The depth of his knowledge on monetary policy, his understanding of it all, is second to none."

more at link...very anti-RP article here

Captain America
12-03-2010, 02:51 AM
hear hear

cindy25
12-03-2010, 03:07 AM

wrong; if Obama loses then the GOP winner will be renominated in 2016, with the VP the favorite for 2020

an Obama win in 2012, with a Dem congress, is Rand's best hope.

also, he would be doing the country a service keeping a neo-con from winning. would you want a President McCain bombing and assassinating at will?

anaconda
12-03-2010, 04:27 AM
The strategy is different for 2012. For Ron to have maximum pressure he must make the GOP believe that if they don't play ball, then he will, in fact, give the American People the choice to vote for an actual conservative as a third party candidate. Otherwise they will have less incentive to change policy.

TheTyke
12-03-2010, 04:44 AM
What do nuclear weapons, Ron Paul running 3rd party, and secession all have in common?

Actually using them is a terrible idea, but they make for good deterrents or bargaining chips. :P

crazyfacedjenkins
12-03-2010, 05:04 AM
For god's sake, can't one of these "lone gunman" or serial killers work in our favor for once?? You'd think that at least one of these kooks who hear a voice in their head telling them to kill would target true evil.

Agorism
12-03-2010, 05:45 AM
I support running third party candidates (Constitution, Libertarian, etc) every time, but only AFTER the republican primary.

nobody's_hero
12-03-2010, 06:30 AM
I support running third party candidates (Constitution, Libertarian, etc) every time, but only AFTER the republican primary.

Agreed. I only learned of Ron Paul because he was in the Republican debate. (hopefully, they'll let him in again the next time around, should he run). But if he doesn't get the republican nomination, I think he should run independent/third-party. He won't have anything to lose by doing that.

Plus, I stick to my predictions that if Ron Paul doesn't win in 2012, it won't matter what happens after that. The house of cards supported by dreams and lies will not stand much longer. Bernanke is going to ruin us all.

cindy25
12-03-2010, 06:40 AM
running as a 3rd party candidate after losing a primary is perfectly acceptable; ask Lieberman and Murkowski.

Chester Copperpot
12-03-2010, 06:49 AM
Another point. There are NO accidents in politics. The "leak" of "rumors" is likely to gage response. We should take a LOUD stand NOW and not AFTER they don't give it to him.

exactly

Matt Collins
12-03-2010, 06:58 AM
YouTube - RINO Alert: John Boehner Voted for the TARP Bailout (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4ja9q386ek&feature=player_embedded)

Matt Collins
12-03-2010, 06:58 AM
YouTube - RINO Alert: John Boehner Voted for the TARP Bailout (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4ja9q386ek&feature=player_embedded)

Feeding the Abscess
12-03-2010, 07:15 AM
I'd seriously support Ron moving to the Democratic Party before running third party.

The two party structure just doesn't allow for a third party run.

ronpaulhawaii
12-03-2010, 08:09 AM

^^^ This!

Slutter McGee
12-03-2010, 08:15 AM
....that could seriously set the precedent for a true Independent run at the Presidency. If Ron Paul's own party's House Speaker is preventing him from chairing a committee he clearly is more qualified for than anyone else in line, we need to send a strong message to the Republican Party that we don't need them.

Ron has enough support to launch a devastating assault on the Republican Party by running in 2012 as an Independent candidate. That way, he'd be on the ballot in all 50 states, draw 10-15% (or more) of the vote away from the Republican candidate, and screw the party over.

Of course our goal isn't to screw any political party, but to effect change. But if the Republican establishment doesn't understand that they're playing with fire by trying to shortchange Dr. Paul, they will pay a heavy price.

I don't think we should be that specific. I think we should bluff. If Ron doesn't get the chair we will screw over the Republican Party. If they call the bluff, then so be it. But don't run independent.

Slutter McGee

TC95
12-03-2010, 08:24 AM
Running third party is stupid and Ron knows that. It didn't work in '88 and it's not gonna work now. There are too many dumb sheep in this country who are afraid of splitting the vote and letting the evil democrat or evil republican win.

libertybrewcity
12-03-2010, 11:00 AM
For the millionth time,

The system is set up to not allow independents and third parties to win. Even with Ross Perot taking in what, 19% of the vote, he still did not win a single electoral vote.

profg
12-03-2010, 11:45 AM
John Boehner is working to prevent Ron Paul from becoming Chair of the Subcommittee that oversees the Fed. We NEED Ron Paul in that Chair, to EXPOSE how the Fed is destroying OUR money! Please contact Boehner & Eric Cantor to express yourself - here's FULL CONTACT INFO & SAMPLE TEXT TO SEND:

Contact John Boehner:
http://gopleader.gov/Contact/default.aspx
DC office: 202-225-4000
DC fax: 202-225-0704
Ohio office: 513-779-5400
Ohio fax: 513-779-5400
Ohio 2 office: 937-339-1524
Ohio 2 fax: 937-339-1878

Contact Eric Cantor:
http://cantor.house.gov/schedule_request.htm
https://writerep.house.gov/writerep/welcome.shtml (use 4201 Dominion Blvd., Glen Allen, VA 23060-6743 as your address)
DC office: 202-225-2815
DC fax: 202-225-0011
Virginia office: 804-747-4073
Virginia fax: 804-747-5308
Virginia 2 office: 540-825-8960
Virginia 2 fax: 540-825-8964

Dear Rep. [Boehner/Cantor]:

I am writing to request that you MAKE SURE that Rep. Ron Paul becomes the new Chairman of the House Subcommittee for Domestic Monetary Policy and Technology.

Dr. Paul is currently the Ranking Minority Member on that Subcommittee, and is therefore next in line to become Chair when the Republicans take over the Majority in January. This panel, a subdivision of the House Financial Services Committee, has mostly occupied itself with such "pressing" questions as issuing commemorative coins and whether or not to eliminate the penny.

That needs to change. This subcommittee is supposed to have oversight of the Federal Reserve, and has shirked its duties until now. With Dr. Paul as the new Chair, that can finally happen -- and it's needed NOW, more than ever.

This week, we saw just WHY greater oversight is necessary, when the Federal Reserve released some of the details on its emergency lending programs. According to the Fed's documents, in addition to trillions of dollars loaned to Wall Street firms, it also made trillions in loans to foreign central banks, and even billions*to private companies like Harley-Davidson.

This release is just a small glimpse into what the Fed does everyday: devalue our money, create moral hazard, and put taxpayers on the hook.*And we can only speculate on how much the Fed is NOT telling us, including information on individual securities that were pledged as collateral for over $800 billion in loans.

WE NEED RON PAUL to Chair this monetary policy subcommittee, because he will will approach that committee like no one has ever approached it -- because we’re living in times like no one has ever seen. The depth of his knowledge on monetary policy, his understanding of it all, is second to none.

However... Business Week is now reporting that "GOP leadership aides, speaking anonymously because a decision isn't final, say incoming House Speaker John Boehner has discussed ways to prevent Paul from becoming chairman." I REALLY HOPE THAT IS NOT TRUE. Please prove to me, and millions of desperate Americans, that you are SERIOUS about saving our economy. Please make sure Ron Paul IS appointed as Chairman of the House Subcommittee for Domestic Monetary Policy and Technology, as quickly as possible.

All of America is watching you. The Republican Party asked us to "give you another chance" in power; we've given you that chance, and now we want you to prove that we were correct in doing so. DON'T LET US DOWN.

Thank you.

Sincerely,

[YOUR NAME]
[YOUR ADDRESS]
[YOUR CITY, STATE, ZIP]

profg
12-03-2010, 11:46 AM
ALSO: Call the OTHER members of the House Republican Steering Committee who might be more easily convinced (each member has a vote in deciding who becomes Chairman):

Kevin McCarthy 202-225-2915
Jeb Hensarling 202-225-3484
Tom Price 202-225-4501
Cathy McMorris-Rodgers 202-225-2006
John Carter 202-225-3864
Pete Sessions 202-225-2231
Greg Walden 202-225-6730
Tom Cole 202-225-6165
Lamar Smith 202-225-4236
Ken Calvert 202-225-1986
Jeff Miller 202-225-3414
Doc Hastings 202-225-5816
Tom Latham 202-225-5476
John Shimkus 202-225-5271
Mike Rogers 202-225-4872
Bill Shuster 202-225-2431
Steve LaTourette 202-225-5731
Hal Rogers 202-225-4601
Lynn Westmoreland 202-225-5901
Bob Goodlatte 202-225-5431
Cynthia Lummis 202-225-2311
Gregg Harper 202-225 5031
Todd Rokita 317-268-4964
Joe Heck 702-614-5900
Pat Meehan 484-454-3203
Austin Scott 478-476-8603

Politely (It's hard, but try) tell them we are watching and we will not stand for any attempts to block Ron Paul's chairmanship.

UtahApocalypse
12-03-2010, 11:54 AM
If they do this the GOP can kiss my ass goodbye. I will never vote republican.... no matter who the candidate is, including Ron Paul. I will not support a party that will throw their own under the bus.