PDA

View Full Version : Description of a perfect political cartoon

GunnyFreedom
12-02-2010, 10:58 AM
Too bad I don't have the skills to pull something this complicated off:

cage in the back of a pickup (think rural animal control) without a tailgate. License plate reads "BIG-GOV"

Voter inside cage with a US Flag listening to "where at least I know I'm free!"

Two 'workers' going back inside pickup, one says "Democrat" the other says "Republican"

Bars on the cage are labeled with our 'invisible' tyrannies: USA PATRIOT Act, War On Drugs, Food Safety Modernization Act, Federal Reserve Act, Glass-Stegal repeal, Global War on Terror, Banker Bailout, Auto Bailout, Stimulus, Quantitative Easing, etc etc etc

"Just because we can't see the bars on our cages does not mean that we are free."

Brooklyn Red Leg
12-02-2010, 11:04 AM

cage in the back of a pickup (think rural animal control) without a tailgate. License plate reads "BIG-GOV"

Two 'workers' going back inside pickup, one says "Democrat" the other says "Republican"

Bars on the cage are labeled with our 'invisible' tyrannies: USA PATRIOT Act, War On Drugs, Food Safety Modernization Act, Federal Reserve Act, Glass-Stegal repeal, Global War on Terror, Banker Bailout, Auto Bailout, Stimulus, Quantitative Easing, etc etc etc

"Just because we can't see the bars on our cages does not mean that we are free."

Awesome idea, Gunny! We need to see if awake can pencil that as I think it would be the best recruiting poster ever!

GunnyFreedom
12-02-2010, 11:10 AM
Awesome idea, Gunny! We need to see if awake can pencil that as I think it would be the best recruiting poster ever!

Awake is awesome at this stuff, I wouldn't want to ask a commission, but if it gave him a good idea that would be tops! And yes, I think that would make a huge impact -- the argument the establishment loves to use against libertarians are "we are still free, you can't tell us some way we are not free" and the best most can come up with off the cuff is the war on drugs, which mr establishment then uses to accuse the libertarian of having a drug addled brain.

Putting the whole scope of it into a unitary form would help take the edge off the establishment's argument here I think.

Philhelm
12-02-2010, 11:32 AM
Interesting idea. Perhaps the Democrat should say to the Republican something like, "I'll let you drive in January."

Vessol
12-02-2010, 11:34 AM
http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:BrLG6oTocvY3RM:http://img513.imageshack.us/img513/2395/28779342.jpg&t=1

GunnyFreedom
12-02-2010, 11:41 AM
Interesting idea. Perhaps the Democrat should say to the Republican something like, "I'll let you drive in January."

LMAO that's perfect!

tremendoustie
12-02-2010, 11:54 AM
I really like this idea.

driege
12-02-2010, 12:48 PM

Why did you include Glass-Stegal's repeal? Given all of the other terrible regulations, Glass-Stegal may be necessary, but I am not ready to accept it as a good.

GunnyFreedom
12-02-2010, 12:57 PM
Why did you include Glass-Stegal's repeal? Given all of the other terrible regulations, Glass-Stegal may be necessary, but I am not ready to accept it as a good.

it just struck my head as I ws listing things off because I remember Ron Paul railing against it's repeal once. I was just trying to express the scope of the 'invisible bars' on our cages.

driege
12-02-2010, 01:16 PM
it just struck my head as I ws listing things off because I remember Ron Paul railing against it's repeal once. I was just trying to express the scope of the 'invisible bars' on our cages.

Here is a link to the House vote on the Gramm-Leach-Biley Act (also called the Financial Services Modernization Act). This is what repealed Glass-Steagall: http://clerk.house.gov/evs/1999/roll570.xml

As you can see, Ron Paul did not vote (or voted present). I believe this was because he did not support the Glass-Steagall Act, but he opposed the fact that its elimination would bring the investment banks into the FDIC insurance program, something he strongly opposed. For this reason, he did not vote Yea or Nay. His solution (as you might imagine) would be the elimination of deposit insurance from the FDIC, in which case the Glass-Steagall Act would be unnecessary.

I know it was just a fun idea for a cartoon, but I think it's too murky of an area to include on the list of things that are enslaving us.

Thoughts?

awake
12-02-2010, 03:51 PM
I will see what I can do... but I expect massive +rep as payment....

malkusm
12-02-2010, 04:08 PM
I will see what I can do... but I expect massive +rep as payment....

Already done!

GunnyFreedom
12-02-2010, 04:10 PM
Already done!

+1

mad rep for a seriously tough job

awake
12-02-2010, 04:12 PM
You want this in the Toons for Liberty style?

Brooklyn Red Leg
12-02-2010, 04:17 PM

I think that would be great.

GunnyFreedom
12-02-2010, 04:22 PM

huzzah! +1