PDA

View Full Version : Chris Dodd Farewell speech: Don't reform filibuster

Agorism
12-01-2010, 07:59 PM
Filibuster Reform is “Unwise”

http://www.redstate.com/brian_d/2010/12/01/filibuster-reform-is-unwise/

I can understand the temptation to change the rules that make the Senate so unique — and, simultaneously, so frustrating. The Senate was designed to be different, not simply for the sake of variety, but because the Framers believed the Senate could and should be the venue in which statesmen would lift America up to meet its unique challenges.

I have heard some people suggest that the Senate as we know it simply can’t function in such a highly charged political environment, that we should change Senate rules to make it more efficient, more responsive to the public mood, more like the House of Representatives, where the majority can essentially bend the minority to its will.

The filibuster is contained in the Senate Rules (Rule 22) and merely protects the right of extended debate by Senators before a final vote is scheduled on a matter. The rule specifies that after 16 Senators sign a cloture petition, a petition to shut off debate, the Senate needs 60 votes to end debate. The evidence suggests that the left is preparing liberal Senators to push for the elimination of the filibuster in the next Congress if they hold onto a slim majority.

To my fellow Senators who have never served a day in the minority, I urge you to pause in your enthusiasm to change Senate rules. And to those in the minority who routinely abuse the rules of the Senate to delay or defeat almost any Senate decision, know that you will be equally responsible for undermining the unique value of the United States Senate, a value greater than that which you might assign to the political motivations driving your obstruction. But in the end, this isn’t about the filibuster. What will determine whether this institution works or not, what has always determined whether we will fulfill the Framers’ highest hopes or justify the cynics’ worst fears, is not the Senate rules, the calendar, or the media. It is whether each of the one hundred Senators can work together – living up to the incredible honor that comes with the title, and the awesome responsibility that comes with the office. Politics today seemingly rewards only passion and independence, not deliberation and compromise as well.

Tom Udall is the only senator who appears open to eliminating the cloture requirement altogether, and even he’s not explicit about that.

TheTyke
12-01-2010, 09:39 PM
Heh, lucky Conway lost to Rand then... he was all about eliminating filibusters so "the work of the people" could proceed without any opposition by the minority. Gotta love mob rule.

Koz
12-01-2010, 09:48 PM
I hope whoever spoke after him said don't let the door hit you in the ass Chris.

Good riddance, but his replacement is just as bad.