PDA

View Full Version : What is NASA's Secret Astrobiology Announcement?

FrankRep
12-01-2010, 06:57 PM
NASA.gov: (http://www.nasa.gov/home/hqnews/2010/nov/HQ_M10-167_Astrobiology.html)

NASA Sets News Conference on Astrobiology Discovery; Science Journal Has Embargoed Details Until 2 p.m. EST On Dec. 2

WASHINGTON -- NASA will hold a news conference at 2 p.m. EST on Thursday, Dec. 2, to discuss an astrobiology finding that will impact the search for evidence of extraterrestrial life. Astrobiology is the study of the origin, evolution, distribution and future of life in the universe.

The news conference will be held at the NASA Headquarters auditorium at 300 E St. SW, in Washington. It will be broadcast live on NASA Television and streamed on the agency's website at http://www.nasa.gov.

----

What is NASA's Secret Astrobiology Announcement? (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ac/20101201/sc_ac/7316534_what_is_nasas_secret_astrobiology_announce ment)

Yahoo News
Dec 1, 2010

Science fans across the Internet are eagerly awaiting an announcement from NASA's astrobiology team planned for Thursday. All NASA will say about the press conference is that it will "discuss an astrobiology finding that will impact the search for evidence of extraterrestrial life."

Evidence of Life on Mars?

While many are hoping that NASA will announce that extraterrestrial life has been discovered, this seems like a near impossibility. If this were the case, the best prospect for this might be from Mars. The Exploration Rover Spirit has been stationary for just about a year after getting stuck in some soft sand. That would give it an opportunity to study that patch of sand over a long period of time, during which it might perceive chemical changes attributable to life processes. It's a long shot at best, but remember that in the spot where it is stuck, Spirit was looking at layered sulfate salts associated with ancient thermal vents that could have been a prime location for bacterial life at some point in the Red Planet's distant past.

A New Chemical Basis for Life?

More likely is that a group of NASA astrobiologists has discovered a chemical model for life based on something other than oxygen and water. Such a discovery might open up the number of potential sites where extraterrestrial life might be found and would be a major breakthrough in the field. Looking at the team of scientists that NASA lists as attending the press conference, perhaps we can gain some further insight.

Dr. James Elser

The biography of Dr. James Elser at his Arizona State University webpage, describes his work as "the study of balance of energy and multiple chemical elements in living systems." His inclusion might suggest an exotic chemical basis for life is being announced.

Dr. Stephen Benner

Dr. Stephen Benner. A professor of Molecular Cell Biology at the University of Florida, Gainesville, describes his work in astrobiology as working "to identify molecular structures that are likely to be universal features of living systems regardless of their genesis, and not likely products of non-biological processes... As part of the team defining the architecture of the Mars landing missions, the Benner group will have the opportunity to test these as part of a search for life on Mars." This might lend some credence to the notion that the press conference will announce evidence of past life on Mars.

Dr. Pamela Conrad

NASA's Pamela Conrad has co-authored "The Bread-crumb trail: distribution of organic chemical biosignatures from cryptoendolithic communities on the surfaces of Arctic and Antarctic sandstone rocks." This again would support the idea that evidence of past life may have been discovered in the Martial soils.

Dr. Felisa (IronLisa) Wolfe-Simon

Dr. Felisa Wolfe-Simon of the U.S. Geological Survey, also working with the NASA astrobiology team, says on her website that she is working "as part of the NASA Astrobiology Institute we are examining arsenate-rich environments to hunt and enrich cultures for organisms utilizing arsenate in novel and unique modes." She also mentions that this work involves Dr. Stephen Benner. Her inclusion strongly suggests that a chemical model for arsenic based life has been discovered, and perhaps, in looking at the other specialties involved, they have found a way of identifying unique chemical signatures left by this type of organism that would rule out non-living origins for these materials. This would provide a new way to search for signs of life on other planets.

Dr. Mary Voytek

The team leader is NASA's Dr. Mary Voytek. NASA says her work is in the area of "environmental controls on microbial transformations of nutrients, xenobiotics, and metals in freshwater and marine systems." This might support the idea of a new identifiable chemical signature which might be left behind by certain types of bacterial or prebiotic life.

The Best Guess about the NASA astrobiology announcement

My guess, and it is only a guess, is that a new chemical basis for life has been modeled resulting in the discovery of a unique chemical signature that, if found in an extraterrestrial rock (or a terrestrial rock, for that matter), would be a smoking gun for the past presence of this type of life. Perhaps, they have even actually found such evidence, either with a visual examination of martial soils by the rovers, or in meteorite fragments found in the arctic.

SOURCE:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ac/20101201/sc_ac/7316534_what_is_nasas_secret_astrobiology_announce ment

ARealConservative
12-01-2010, 07:16 PM
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1334628/Astrobiology-findings-Alien-bacteria-lives-arsenic-Californian-lake-opens-search-life-planets.html

KCIndy
12-01-2010, 07:21 PM
NASA's really got to quit over hyping this crap. :mad:

Short explanation, NASA scientists discovered that bacteria can live in an arsenic environment. Uh, wow. Yeah, it's unexpected, but so was finding out that bacteria can live in boiling hot thermal vents miles under the ocean, and survive the freezing vacuum of space on board some of the craft we launch.

At this point, there's no reason for scientists to get too surprised when they make one more discovery of exactly how tough and tenacious life really is.

Edit: A nod to ARealConservative, who appears to have beaten me to it!! :)

FrankRep
12-01-2010, 07:22 PM
Cheap!!

I think NASA is hyping this stuff to get more federal funding.

KCIndy
12-01-2010, 07:26 PM
Cheap!!

I think NASA is hyping this stuff to get more federal funding.

Wouldn't surprise me. That, plus being loaded with guys who have an overblown sense of their own academic brilliance.

The big problem comes with the "letdown" when people who have been expecting to see ET unveiled somewhere now realize the whole thing is nothing but hype stemming from a few really tough little germs.

And next will come all the UFO conspiracy folks... :rolleyes:

oyarde
12-01-2010, 07:28 PM
Wouldn't surprise me. That, plus being loaded with guys who have an overblown sense of their own academic brilliance.

The big problem comes with the "letdown" when people who have been expecting to see ET unveiled somewhere now realize the whole thing is nothing but hype stemming from a few really tough little germs.

And next will come all the UFO conspiracy folks... :rolleyes:

Well , the ufo's are more interesting than the germs , but if there are aliens , they likely started as germs ?

KCIndy
12-01-2010, 07:31 PM
Well , the ufo's are more interesting than the germs , but if there are aliens , they likely started as germs ?

Maybe. But at least I've heard that the aliens wash their hands and tentacles before they "probe" their abductees! :D

ARealConservative
12-01-2010, 07:36 PM
:confused:

this seems huge to me.

It will increase speculation that life started on this planet more then once.

oyarde
12-01-2010, 07:38 PM
Maybe. But at least I've heard that the aliens wash their hands and tentacles before they "probe" their abductees! :D

At the very least , they probably do not use the same pair of gloves all day (tsa) .

oyarde
12-01-2010, 07:39 PM

this seems huge to me.

Not sure I follow that ?

ARealConservative
12-01-2010, 07:43 PM
Not sure I follow that ?

the speculation is they found life that doesn't merely survive in arsenic, but it actually uses it in place of phosphorous.

this would be a pretty big finding if true and considering the press conference, I'm speculating that this is indeed what they discovered.

it completely changes the formula we use to look for life.

squarepusher
12-01-2010, 07:52 PM
NASA's secret is that they ran out of money and need moar of it, and that bacteria can live in vespine gas

awake
12-01-2010, 07:54 PM
Look see, we are doing important things, don't cut our budget.

tangent4ronpaul
12-01-2010, 08:15 PM
The Grey's are landing tomorrow to take control of the planet... :D

-t

Fox McCloud
12-01-2010, 08:31 PM
yeah, I read about this yesterday...then found a blog explaining how one other blogger picked up on it, hyped it to death...and well, the news media hyped it too.

He then provided links to various previous articles and suggested it would merely be a proof that bacteria can stand harsher climates than previously thought....he wasn't for certain, but suggested this is all the conference was.

Sure enough, looks like it is.

Fredom101
12-01-2010, 08:32 PM
Fantastic, let's fund NASA more!
Everyone wants space exploration and those that don't can be SHOT for not paying.

HOLLYWOOD
12-01-2010, 08:33 PM
They have Alien Green Babies @ Los Alamos National Lab.

Ear...

pcosmar
12-01-2010, 08:41 PM
Don't know.
It's a secret.

Have to pay your quarters to go in that room.

idirtify
12-02-2010, 10:16 AM

this seems huge to me.

And/or that life started deep underground.

pacelli
12-02-2010, 10:32 AM
The secret is that NASA stands for Never A Straight Answer.

Look, we spent $400 million to take pictures of far off solar systems just to measure the wobble of the star to prove there is a planet there. Its sort of the same distance from the earth to the sun, so there might be life there.

We can tell you the color of the planet for another $400 million.

JK/SEA
12-02-2010, 10:50 AM
They found the 3rd season of LEXX, and it will finally be offered on NETFLIX in February.

Brooklyn Red Leg
12-02-2010, 10:58 AM
NASA is trying to justify its budget, period. Its funny, in a sick way, watching them scramble to prop up the Standard Model of Cosmology that so many of them have their careers invested in. They keep find electricity all over space and act like its not there or try and hide it by using outdated terminology like 'solar wind' or 'magnetic ropes' when they should be saying 'Birkeland Currents'. Every time I hear about comets being 'icy balls of dust' I want to laugh and point to NASA's own Deep Impact mission to Tempel 1 that showed a massively energetic burst before and after the copper projectile struck the surface of the comet, completely falsifying the 'dirty snowball' theory.

Electric Comet (http://www.bibliotecapleyades.net/electric_universe/esp_electricuniverse17.htm)

NASA is part of the machinery propping up the decaying standard model. They are no different than the Catholic bishops who excommunicated Galileo for 'heresy' by following the Copernican heliocentric model.

Vessol
12-02-2010, 11:46 AM
Oh look, it's been awhile since NASA has been in the news.

pcosmar
12-03-2010, 11:20 AM
Is this it?
http://www.informationweek.com/news/government/enterprise-apps/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=228500210&cid=RSSfeed_IWK_All
NASA Discovers Arsenic-Fed Life Form
wtf ? Alien life ? from California ?

Discovered ?

What a waste of resources.

:(

Fox McCloud
12-03-2010, 02:34 PM
Is this it?
http://www.informationweek.com/news/government/enterprise-apps/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=228500210&cid=RSSfeed_IWK_All
NASA Discovers Arsenic-Fed Life Form
wtf ? Alien life ? from California ?

Discovered ?

What a waste of resources.

:(

It gets even worse; some skeptics doubt what's taking place is what's really happening; I've tried to locate the article that details the skeptics claims, but it appears the article has been pulled or is buried; I'll see if I can dig it back up later today.

Either way, phosphorous was still required for the bacteria to thrive....so I don't see it being that particularly amazing.