PDA

View Full Version : Should Amazon be boycotted for pulling the plug on Wikileaks

tangent4ronpaul
12-01-2010, 06:17 PM
There are 2 threads here about this:

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=270998

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=270978

There are basically 2 opinions here:

Amazon didn't stand up for freedom of speech by booting them. Send them hate mail and boycott them as a result.

Amazon stood up for free speech by hosting them in the first place. They were threatened directly or indirectly by the US gvmt and were looking at loosing a ton of business as a result (or worse) at their busiest time of the year. It was a business decision and they should be rewarded for hosting them in the first place with more business.

Where do you stand?

ps: there is a e-mail address in the second thread to contact, I assume, the head of the company.

-t

tangent4ronpaul
12-01-2010, 06:29 PM
My letter to Amazon:

Dear Jeff,

I am very disappointed that you gave Wikileaks the boot, and in so doing did not stand up for freedom of speech. I'd hope you would stand up to the Government in the future should you host them again or in similar matters.

I am however, delighted to know that you hosted them in the first place. You can expect additional business from me because of this, and I would urge you to invite them back!

-t

FrankRep
12-01-2010, 06:37 PM
Amazon made a business decision and I support that.

Elwar
12-01-2010, 06:38 PM
Amazon lost my business when they stopped using PayPal.

libertybrewcity
12-01-2010, 06:38 PM
If the US does end up classifying wikileaks as a terrorist organization, Amazon has an excellent reason to dump wikileaks.

MikeStanart
12-01-2010, 06:58 PM
I think Amazon did it out of self-preservation. It's not really amazon's fight; they were just getting out of the way. I applaud them for allowing Assange to host files there in the first place.

KCIndy
12-01-2010, 07:04 PM
Personally, I detest Amazon.com for more reasons than I care to get into right now.

The only time I'll buy from them is when a liberty oriented book (Dr. Paul, Judge Napolitano, etc) is released. I'll buy from Amazon at that point because (unfortunately) Amazon now drives a lot of the "best selling" lists that the media pay attention to.

oyarde
12-01-2010, 07:17 PM
Personally, I detest Amazon.com for more reasons than I care to get into right now.

The only time I'll buy from them is when a liberty oriented book (Dr. Paul, Judge Napolitano, etc) is released. I'll buy from Amazon at that point because (unfortunately) Amazon now drives a lot of the "best selling" lists that the media pay attention to.

And the free shipping , otherwise , screw em , I go to the local bookstore .

oyarde
12-01-2010, 07:19 PM

Used to be some bookstores in Broad Ripple I remember going to in the 90's .

oyarde
12-01-2010, 07:20 PM
I did not vote in the poll , I needed a " who cares about Amazon " :)

Jordan
12-01-2010, 07:20 PM
It would be one thing if Wikileaks were their only customer, but with so many people dependent on Amazon's hosting service, keeping Wikileaks around risked trouble with the government then outage for its other customers.

Plus, you have to figure that hosting Wikileaks through a DDoS attack probably cost more than they were making from the account.

Texan4Life
12-01-2010, 08:20 PM
Free super saver shipping FTW!!

tangent4ronpaul
12-01-2010, 09:23 PM
Common folks - VOTE!

-t

MyLibertyStuff
12-01-2010, 09:26 PM
My letter to Amazon:

Dear Jeff,

I am very disappointed that you gave Wikileaks the boot, and in so doing did not stand up for freedom of speech. I'd hope you would stand up to the Government in the future should you host them again or in similar matters.

I am however, delighted to know that you hosted them in the first place. You can expect additional business from me because of this, and I would urge you to invite them back!

-t

Perfect letter. I will be sending something similar

Razmear
12-01-2010, 09:32 PM
sent this a few hours ago, before seeing this thread:

Just sending a note letting you know that your decision to follow the will of Joe Lieberman instead of the will of the people by dropping the WikiLeaks data will be taken into consideration when I do my Christmas shopping this year.
Those who support evil do not get my hard earned money, those who embrace freedom do.
I will still use your site for product research, but my money will now be spent elsewhere unless you reverse your decision.

tangent4ronpaul
12-02-2010, 05:33 AM
Blimp for the morning crew....

RonPaulFanInGA
12-02-2010, 05:45 AM
Nice options. :rolleyes:

Where's the 'don't give a damn one way or another and will continue as is' option about their hosting and now not hosting Wikileaks?

cindy25
12-02-2010, 05:51 AM
Amazon lost my business when they stopped using PayPal.

I know too many people who had money stolen by paypal to see this as wrong

tangent4ronpaul
12-02-2010, 04:02 PM
blimp!