PDA

View Full Version : Amazon Pulls Plug On Hosting WikiLeaks Today Amidst Increasing Political Pressure

charrob
12-01-2010, 03:57 PM
Amazon pulled the plug on hosting WikiLeaks today amidst increasing political pressure:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/12/01/wikileaks-amazon-servers-_n_790652.html

oyarde
12-01-2010, 04:03 PM
Amazon appears to be attracting mucho bad press here recently . What are they up to ?

Batman
12-01-2010, 04:16 PM
I'll pull the plug on Amazon then.

cswake
12-01-2010, 04:29 PM
I don't blame Amazon, since they hosted it to begin with and had no problem doing it, dealing with the DDOS attack, until the government interfered. You *know* that Lieberman gave a call to Bezos and said pull it or else.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2010/dec/01/wikileaks-website-cables-servers-amazon

The plug was pulled as the influential senator and chairman of the homeland security committee, Joe Lieberman, called for a boycott of the site by US companies.

"[Amazon's] decision to cut off WikiLeaks now is the right decision and should set the standard for other companies WikiLeaks is using to distribute its illegally seized material," he said.

"I call on any other company or organisation that is hosting WikiLeaks to immediately terminate its relationship with them."

The department of homeland security confirmed Amazon's move, referring journalists to Lieberman's statement.

RM918
12-01-2010, 04:53 PM
Nothing like stomping on the 1st Amendment for Lieberman.

Kevin_Kennedy
12-01-2010, 05:01 PM
It's a shame, but Amazon doesn't need that kind of controversy.

oyarde
12-01-2010, 05:30 PM
It's a shame, but Amazon doesn't need that kind of controversy.

It is like they are intentionally driving down the value of the company .

Lucille
12-01-2010, 05:36 PM
TPM: How Lieberman Got Amazon To Drop Wikileaks (http://tpmmuckraker.talkingpointsmemo.com/2010/12/how_lieberman_got_amazon_to_drop_wikileaks.php)

Amazon has not responded to requests for comment. Its terms of acceptable use include a ban on illegal activities (it's not yet clear whether Wikileaks has broken any laws) and content "that may be harmful to our users, operations, or reputation." It also prohibits using Amazon's servers "to violate the security or integrity of any network, computer or communications system," although Wikileaks obviously obtained the cables long before hopping on Amazon's servers.

The Electronic Frontier Foundation, a group that advocates for Internet freedom of speech by defending court cases, said the axing certainly doesn't violate the First Amendment. But it is, according to senior staff attorney Kevin Bankston, "disappointing."

"This certainly implicates First Amendment rights to the extent that web hosts may, based on direct or informal pressure, limit the materials the American public has a First Amendment right to access," Bankston told TPM.

Wikileaks is reportedly back on servers based in Sweden. Lieberman, in his statement today, called on "any other company or organization that is hosting Wikileaks to immediately terminate its relationship with them."

Phillips said Lieberman has no plans to reach out to other web-hosting services that may host Wikileaks, and has not contacted the Swedish government to discuss servers in its country.

"Sen. Lieberman hopes that the Amazon case will send the message to other companies that might host Wikileaks that it would be irresponsible to host the site," she said.

Denninger: Wikileaks To Sen. Lieberman: Eat S*#t And Die (http://market-ticker.org/akcs-www?post=173690)

Big balls you have there Mr. Lieberman. What you gonna back it up with? A few missiles? Somehow I doubt it, considering that you'd have to start launching them into nations that aren't exactly hostile to us - but sure do seem to be hostile toward attempts to censor these guys.

Oh wait.... you mean your bluster was all hot air?
[...]
That would be "Blow Me" as Wikileaks' response to Senator Lieberman and DHS.

Now what winky-eye?

Further, I am compelled to again ask: Exactly why is it that you're ****ed now when the other leaks previously published were much worse in terms of what they exposed? It isn't that Wikileaks says they have 5gb of data from a major BANK to leak, is it?

(PS: If you think getting cute with the DNS will stop them, it won't. I suspect you're dumb enough to do it though, which is simply going to cause them to move things into a format you can't trace or interdict at all, or into a TLD you can't touch - and there are a bunch of them. If you don't understand how and why this stuff works please call someone who does so they can explain it to you before you make further fools out of yourselves.)

From the comments, Tarkin79:

Pound the Nobel committee and suggest that Julian Assange be nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize:

Contact information
Telephone:

Switchboard: (47) 22 12 93 00
Library: (47) 22 12 93 20

Fax: (47) 94 76 11 17

Email:

General inquiries: postmaster@nobel.no
The Library: library@nobel.no

Street and postal address:
Henrik Ibsens gate 51
NO-0255 Oslo
Norway

I like it! Very much!

Ethek
12-01-2010, 06:01 PM
I really like Denninger

roho76
12-01-2010, 07:02 PM
I was completely unaware that Amazon ran a hosting service on their servers. Have these politicians not heard of the insurance file this guy has. I'm sure that it must be pretty damaging stuff if it's an "insurance" file. I would love to see this guy bring down the underworld that the politicrats play in. Whats even better is that everybody is calling for this guys head and yet nobody seems to realize is that even if they kill this guy the information will still continue to flow.