PDA

View Full Version : A Turkish invasion of Iraq could unify the country?

torchbearer
10-21-2007, 09:15 AM
I don't recall this article saying that out-right, but i do see it as a possibililty.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21399932/

Kurdish rebels kill 12 Turkish soldiers

TUNCELI, Turkey - Prime Minister Tayyip Erdogan called crisis talks that may authorize a cross-border military offensive after Kurdish rebels killed at least 12 Turkish soldiers in an ambush on Sunday near the Iraqi border. <click above link for more>

Corydoras
10-21-2007, 10:11 AM
I don't think Iraq has its act together enough to be united by anything, even a war with Turkey.

This Turkish situation has me mopping my forehead that its application to the European Union hasn't been accepted yet... the U.S. doesn't need an outright multi-continental world war at this precise moment in time (let alone anyone else ever). But I'm very worried about this.

torchbearer
10-21-2007, 10:24 AM
I don't think Iraq has its act together enough to be united by anything, even a war with Turkey.

This Turkish situation has me mopping my forehead that its application to the European Union hasn't been accepted yet... the U.S. doesn't need an outright multi-continental world war at this precise moment in time (let alone anyone else ever). But I'm very worried about this.

I know the different Sects have a general hatred for each other, but i think they would hate the turks even more. If we left Iraq, and Turkey invades Kurdistan, Iraqi would have a new potential occupier and could unite to keep turkey out.
Without us there.... I doubt Al-Qeada would hang around to bomb their muslim brothers... or would they?

Syren123
10-21-2007, 10:44 AM
Turkey and Iraq never had problems with each other. It's the Kurds who, btw, are another ethnic group like the Palestinians who have had their ancestral homelands divvied up between countries like Turkey, Iran, and Syria. They have no country of their own and they should.

Turkey attacking Kurds in Iraq is just a pussy move that has nothing to do with the mess we have created in Iraq. The Kurds helped the US during the problems in the 70s in Iran and again, US foreign policy dictates that we screw our real allies to appease some special interest, in this case, the American Armenian lobby.

And we wonder why everyone in the world thinks the US is politically the stupidest country on earth.

Corydoras
10-21-2007, 10:44 AM
THIS problem is not one of different Muslim sects. THIS problem is ethnic.

Some Iraqi Kurds would like very much to TAKE part of Turkey. It isn't Kurds living in Turkey who want to invade-- they want to separate and form an independent Kurdistan with the Iraqi Kurds-- it's the Turkish government that wants to protect its territory from Kurdish separatism (secession), and sees itself as acting in self-defense.

The reason the U.S. should be out of there is because this is a completely different issue from Al-Qaeda. We REALLY don't have a dog in THIS fight. There was, after all, a reason why the Armenian genocide bill faded so recently-- we were trying to get Turkey to calm down about Kurdistan.

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/world/war/kurdistan-turkey.htm