PDA

View Full Version : Colorado ski slope security, bag checks, pat downs

Anti Federalist
11-30-2010, 08:37 PM
A couple of choice paragraphs.

One comment only, gushingly in favor of it.

Long Arm of the Law

http://www.5280.com/magazine/2010/12/long-arm-of-the-law?page=0,0

After ticket scanners confirm that skiers’ lift passes are legit, a panel of uniformed police officers pats everyone down and inspects backpacks for contraband such as alcohol. Refuse the search, and that $97 day-ticket becomes null and void. Still, on this bluebird day, one baby boomer flexes his ’60s-honed flower power and bucks the system. “You don’t have any right to search me!” he shouts. Throughout the loading zone, heads swivel toward the lone renegade. The cops try to respond to him in hushed tones. But he won’t be quieted. “You have no right!” he repeats.

In contrast to the negative response in Aspen years ago, resorts insist the skiing public is greeting the authorities with open arms. (Steamboat’s cantankerous boomer was an exception, they say.) “Response has been amazingly positive,” says Greg Morrison, Breckenridge’s assistant police chief. At Steamboat, Allen boasts, “We’ve had a tremendous amount of positive feedback from destination guests.” If this is true—that skiers feel happier knowing that cops have their backs—then skiing’s cultural pendulum has pulled a jaw-dropping 180.

(No, not the skiing public, but the public in general. I am convinced there is nothing, absolutely nothing, that "the authorities" could do, that would result in any general outcry from the sheeple anymore.

We can wheeze and moan all we want, say it's one sided accounts and biased reporting, but that's a lie and you and I both know it.

Your typical Americunt in 2010 would help the cop load his family on the bus to the "work camp" and thank the cop for it. - AF)

oyarde
11-30-2010, 08:43 PM
wth ? when did the ski slope become so dangerous ?

james1906
11-30-2010, 08:44 PM
I think the skiers are behind this because it keeps all the pot smoking snowboarders away. That way they and their bratty kids have the slopes to themselves.

Dr.3D
11-30-2010, 08:45 PM
wth ? when did the ski slope become so dangerous ?

Somebody could have a bomb and cause an avalanche. :D

specsaregood
11-30-2010, 09:00 PM
Your typical Americunt in 2010 would help the cop load his family on the bus to the "work camp" and thank the cop for it. - AF

wait...they are just giving jobs away? get on the bus kids!

sailingaway
11-30-2010, 09:10 PM
Well, thanks for the heads up. Breckenridge was on our potential vacations list this winter. One reason: we could drive and avoid the TSA.

Michigan11
11-30-2010, 09:13 PM
“You don’t have any right to search me!” he shouts. Throughout the loading zone, heads swivel toward the lone renegade. The cops try to respond to him in hushed tones. But he won’t be quieted. “You have no right!” he repeats.

Was that SpeciallyBlend? Hell Yeah!

agitator
11-30-2010, 09:20 PM
I for one wouldn't want to be stuck in a Gondola lift hundreds of feet up in air with Al-Qaeda!

sailingaway
11-30-2010, 09:21 PM
I for one wouldn't want to be stuck in a Gondola lift hundreds of feet up in air with Al-Qaeda!

Now, there is a high reward target!

oyarde
11-30-2010, 09:25 PM
wait...they are just giving jobs away? get on the bus kids!

Catch me on the right day , I may donate a few kids . :)

oyarde
11-30-2010, 09:26 PM

The thought of picturing an al qaeda guy on the gondola is humorous to me for some reason .

Kregisen
11-30-2010, 09:27 PM
Was that SpeciallyBlend? Hell Yeah!

Thinking the same thing :D

oyarde
11-30-2010, 10:00 PM

Probably , now we have to try and figure out a way to get his $97 back .

Anti Federalist
11-30-2010, 10:05 PM

In the spirit of my sig line, I would safely say:

You are a go-zillion times more likely to get hurt or killed skiing down the slope than you are of being killed by al-Qaeda on a ski lift.

DanielF17
11-30-2010, 10:33 PM
I really hope this does not spread to other ski resorts.

Anti Federalist
11-30-2010, 10:37 PM
I really hope this does not spread to other ski resorts.

Why would it not?

The police state expands, it never contracts.

james1906
11-30-2010, 10:47 PM
Why would it not?

The police states expands, it never contracts.

Expand it to skate parks, skating rinks, fitness clubs, bowling alleys, pool halls....

speciallyblend
12-01-2010, 12:30 AM
Thinking the same thing :D

hehe, i can tell you if they even attempt to search me. i will rip my f'in season pass up in front of them and tell them to suck my C__K!!! I will be making a call tomorrow for sure!!

jclay2
12-01-2010, 12:46 AM
This is just a power grab by the elites who want all the POW for themselves. With all the new security screenings, they will have bluebird days of bottomless powder and refills galore!

Seriously.....As a long time skier, I find this absolutely pathetic. I have no idea what these resorts could possibly be thinking. How this will help drum up business is beyond me. At least this hasn't started in SLC cottonwood canyons.

Brian4Liberty
12-01-2010, 12:48 AM
F*** those a**holes. They are trying to enforce a monopoly on their overpriced concessions, nothing more. A flask of Brandy or Whiskey is a skiing tradition, especially on a cold morning. You can't turn up the heater or buy a snort from the bar when you are stuck on a lift in a -10 degree wind chill.

Anti Federalist
12-01-2010, 12:52 AM
Fuck those assholes.

Yes, agreed.

Also:

"Beware the Military-Industrial-Congressional-Financial-Corporate-Media-Surveillance Complex."

Wanted to update that for you.

james1906
12-01-2010, 07:46 AM
Fuck those assholes. They are trying to enforce a monopoly on their overpriced concessions, nothing more. A flask of Brandy or Whiskey is a skiing tradition, especially on a cold morning. You can't turn up the heater or buy a snort from the bar when you are stuck on a lift in a -10 degree wind chill.

Yeah, now everyone's going to pregame in the parking lot and be drunk at 9 am.

speciallyblend
12-01-2010, 07:48 AM

not to mention the resorts sell alcohol at every turn mid mtn top mtn bottom mtn!!

i am calling today and i just might return my season pass over this shit!!

moostraks
12-01-2010, 07:58 AM
A couple of choice paragraphs.

One comment only, gushingly in favor of it.

Long Arm of the Law

http://www.5280.com/magazine/2010/12/long-arm-of-the-law?page=0,0

After ticket scanners confirm that skiers’ lift passes are legit, a panel of uniformed police officers pats everyone down and inspects backpacks for contraband such as alcohol. Refuse the search, and that $97 day-ticket becomes null and void. Still, on this bluebird day, one baby boomer flexes his ’60s-honed flower power and bucks the system. “You don’t have any right to search me!” he shouts. Throughout the loading zone, heads swivel toward the lone renegade. The cops try to respond to him in hushed tones. But he won’t be quieted. “You have no right!” he repeats.

In contrast to the negative response in Aspen years ago, resorts insist the skiing public is greeting the authorities with open arms. (Steamboat’s cantankerous boomer was an exception, they say.) “Response has been amazingly positive,” says Greg Morrison, Breckenridge’s assistant police chief. At Steamboat, Allen boasts, “We’ve had a tremendous amount of positive feedback from destination guests.” If this is true—that skiers feel happier knowing that cops have their backs—then skiing’s cultural pendulum has pulled a jaw-dropping 180.

(No, not the skiing public, but the public in general. I am convinced there is nothing, absolutely nothing, that "the authorities" could do, that would result in any general outcry from the sheeple anymore.

We can wheeze and moan all we want, say it's one sided accounts and biased reporting, but that's a lie and you and I both know it.

Your typical Americunt in 2010 would help the cop load his family on the bus to the "work camp" and thank the cop for it. - AF)

So you think this is absolutely indicative of the public at large? Why? The segment of the population this is catering to seems to be more the issue you should consider. Try to instill a pat down of some of the biker bars around here. That would be amusing.:D

Brooklyn Red Leg
12-01-2010, 08:04 AM
Its the same as happened all over the place. The assholes who were the counterculture years ago got 'mainstreamed' and became 'respectable'. So, after they had their fun and climbed to the top, they kicked the ladder out from those of the rest of us before we could even begin to go up. These are the same Corporate fuckstains that have basically sealed off their Ivory Tower to prevent other people from getting near the top. As always, they've enlisted the parasitical enforcers to make sure things go their way. Where the slopes used to be rowdy and feel-good, now they're sanitized for the former boozehound's children.

crazyfacedjenkins
12-01-2010, 08:08 AM
I think the skiers are behind this because it keeps all the pot smoking snowboarders away. That way they and their bratty kids have the slopes to themselves.

Exactly.

Its the same as happened all over the place. The assholes who were the counterculture years ago got 'mainstreamed' and became 'respectable'. So, after they had their fun and climbed to the top, they kicked the ladder out from those of the rest of us before we could even begin to go up. These are the same Corporate fuckstains that have basically sealed off their Ivory Tower to prevent other people from getting near the top. As always, they've enlisted the parasitical enforcers to make sure things go their way. Where the slopes used to be rowdy and feel-good, now they're sanitized for the former boozehound's children.

Beautifully written.

Hamer
12-01-2010, 09:38 AM
Is this ski resort privately owned? If so they have the right to search bags if they choose. Can someone clarify if this is private or government owned?

Pericles
12-01-2010, 09:41 AM

That's what I'm thinking, but the last time I skied in the US was 1994 IIRC.

dean.engelhardt
12-01-2010, 09:50 AM
Is this ski resort privately owned? If so they have the right to search bags if they choose. Can someone clarify if this is private or government owned?

Private property or not, a police officer cannot violate your fourth amendment rights. As long as that officer is representing the government you have a right to refuse the search unless he produces a warrant.

Should the private resort use their own security to conduct the search, they could prevent you from using their property without consent to a search. I which case I would patronize another resort thank you.

kahless
12-01-2010, 09:51 AM
Yes, agreed.

Also:

Beware the Military-Industrial-Congressional-Financial-Corporate-Media-Surveillance Complex

Wanted to update that for you.

Every loss of freedom you can guarantee the military industrial complex of companies has some hand in it for profit.

This is what I have been beating to death in other threads about government involvement in our personal lives, families and government tracking of all Americas. It is all lobbied by and managed for profit by the military industrial complex of companies. Of course trial lawyers, other special interests and our congressmen feed from that trough.

Slutter McGee
12-01-2010, 10:05 AM
I certianly think that a private business has the right to demand searches on their property. And skiiers have the right to go elsewhere.

That being said, it really is sad, and a good example of the direction the country is going.

Sincerley,

Slutter McGee

Brian4Liberty
12-01-2010, 12:05 PM
Private property or not, a police officer cannot violate your fourth amendment rights. As long as that officer is representing the government you have a right to refuse the search unless he produces a warrant.

Should the private resort use their own security to conduct the search, they could prevent you from using their property without consent to a search. I which case I would patronize another resort thank you.

Bingo! These are Police, not private Security for the business. Why not just bring in the TSA too? :rolleyes:

a panel of uniformed police officers pats everyone down and inspects backpacks for contraband...In 1994, Aspen tried to station police patrols on the slopes...police have become a more common sight not only at Steamboat, but also at several other Colorado ski hills: Monarch Mountain, Breckenridge Ski Resort, and Vail Mountain increasingly invite police on-mountain...Breckenridge’s police department bought special ski uniforms for its officers to wear while patrolling the runs...in addition to conducting searches, Steamboat asks county cops and federal US Forest Service officers to ride the lifts and monitor skier behavior

Brian4Liberty
12-01-2010, 12:29 PM
not to mention the resorts sell alcohol at every turn mid mtn top mtn bottom mtn!!

i am calling today and i just might return my season pass over this shit!!

Good idea. And people should contact the Chamber of Commerce and Resorts to tell them that you are no longer taking your extended family on vacation there due to their Police State atmosphere. Certainly they should feel free to eject any trouble makers, but to create a Police State for the 99.9% of the rest of us is ridiculous. Our money will go elsewhere.

Steamboat Chamber of Commerce:
Phone numbers:
http://www.steamboat-chamber.com/info/contactus.asp
info@steamboatchamber.com

Steamboat:
http://www.steamboat.com/contact.aspx
info@steamboat.com

Monarch:
http://skimonarch.com/index.php/generalinfo/contact-us

Breckenridge:
http://www.breckenridge.com/customer-service/contact-us.aspx
breckinfo@vailresorts.com
comments@vailresorts.com

A variety of contacts:
http://www.vailresorts.com/Corp/info/contact-us.aspx

Vail:
http://www.vail.com/customer-service/contact-us.aspx
vailinfo@vailresorts.com
comments@vailresorts.com

dannno
12-01-2010, 12:44 PM
What a bunch of horse shit.

dannno
12-01-2010, 12:46 PM

LOL, that could be true, I am a skier tho and enjoy toking up on the mountain.

Vessol
12-01-2010, 12:47 PM
So they want to prevent people from drinking alcohol when skiing? Last time I bought a lift ticket I had to sign a waiver saying that I could not sue the ski hill for any injuries. If someone is skiing and drinking, who are they going to harm but themselves?

ninepointfive
12-01-2010, 12:52 PM
Obviously, something needs to be done about this.

dannno
12-01-2010, 01:00 PM
So they want to prevent people from drinking alcohol when skiing? Last time I bought a lift ticket I had to sign a waiver saying that I could not sue the ski hill for any injuries. If someone is skiing and drinking, who are they going to harm but themselves?

You can drink, you just have to buy it on the slope.. they don't want you getting a flask from the liquor store when you can be paying $9/drink.

Anti Federalist
12-01-2010, 01:17 PM

Fucking baby boomer hippie hypocrites!

Outstanding!

+rep

Brian4Liberty
12-01-2010, 01:19 PM

Let's not go in that direction! They will equate skiing with driving. Yes, people are occasionally injured or killed on the slopes in collisions. SUI checkpoints will be next.

Brian4Liberty
12-01-2010, 01:22 PM

Yeah, they will be downing a couple of Four Lokos before heading in... :eek:

Anti Federalist
12-01-2010, 01:23 PM
So you think this is absolutely indicative of the public at large? Why? The segment of the population this is catering to seems to be more the issue you should consider. Try to instill a pat down of some of the biker bars around here. That would be amusing.:D

LoL, I'd like to think that was the case.

As an old biker myself, I'd tend to agree.

But, like the rest of us malcontents, refuseniks and PITAs that comprise the members of this board, they are a small minority.

The straights in their cages run the show, and they love this shit.

Brian4Liberty
12-01-2010, 05:19 PM
Boycott Colorado! :D

moostraks
12-01-2010, 05:37 PM
LoL, I'd like to think that was the case.

As an old biker myself, I'd tend to agree.

But, like the rest of us malcontents, refuseniks and PITAs that comprise the members of this board, they are a small minority.

The straights in their cages run the show, and they love this shit.

We are a weird little outpost here in Ohio. I have been very blessed. We have an extraordinarily high number of outlaw types here. The stories dh tells me from the guys at work are a hoot too, as they are definitely the type to handle a problem rather than call the police. Stories of running down burglars with baseball bats and the like. These guys are definitely more brawn than the uppity Colorado slopes types. We tend to keep the country club set to their own neighborhoods as they are afeared of getting soiled here.:D

It ain't for everybody, but I will take my chances with the thugs in the 'hood before I will ever live in the protected confines of the establishment types again.

speciallyblend
12-01-2010, 07:09 PM
Good idea. And people should contact the Chamber of Commerce and Resorts to tell them that you are no longer taking your extended family on vacation there due to their Police State atmosphere. Certainly they should feel free to eject any trouble makers, but to create a Police State for the 99.9% of the rest of us is ridiculous. Our money will go elsewhere.

Steamboat Chamber of Commerce:
Phone numbers:
http://www.steamboat-chamber.com/info/contactus.asp
info@steamboatchamber.com

Steamboat:
http://www.steamboat.com/contact.aspx
info@steamboat.com

Monarch:
http://skimonarch.com/index.php/generalinfo/contact-us

Breckenridge:
http://www.breckenridge.com/customer-service/contact-us.aspx
breckinfo@vailresorts.com
comments@vailresorts.com

A variety of contacts:

Vail:
vailinfo@vailresorts.com
comments@vailresorts.com

thanks brian, I talked to a lady on the phone. She was not happy about this either:)

she told me to email as well! This is the best way to stop this

A variety of contacts:

Vail:
vailinfo@vailresorts.com
comments@vailresorts.com

Anti Federalist
12-01-2010, 11:26 PM
///

idirtify
12-01-2010, 11:40 PM