PDA

View Full Version : Would libertarians accept section 8 money?

thorin
11-30-2010, 06:44 PM
So I have my first "section 8" tenant and received my first federal "welfare" check. It was the only payment I've ever gotten on time. I felt very strange about cashing it.

What do fellow libertarians think of this?

Jordan
11-30-2010, 06:47 PM
That's the best money to be found in real estate. Take it and run.

GunnyFreedom
11-30-2010, 06:48 PM
So I have my first "section 8" tenant and received my first federal "welfare" check. It was the only payment I've ever gotten on time. I felt very strange about cashing it.

What do fellow libertarians think of this?

You are renting your apartment to the government. Uncle Sam is a crappy tenant that happens to pay on time. At least you are getting some of your tax money back. Too bad you have to fill up a marketable property to do it.

thorin
11-30-2010, 06:55 PM
At least you are getting some of your tax money back.

Good point, it does help to keep the guilt at bay.

Too bad you have to fill up a marketable property to do it.

The people in the neighborhood have changed; social engineering and all that. It isn't really marketable to anyone with a job anymore. It just would sit empty.

Travlyr
11-30-2010, 06:57 PM
The more of us that can get on the government dole, the sooner we take down the system. Nice work. :)

noxagol
11-30-2010, 07:00 PM
Walter Block says take it. It was an article once on lewrockwell.com

legion
congrats on being a slumlord ;)

Kludge
It's silly to expect libertarians not to use government services.

The real hypocrisy is when the libertarian pays the government for those services.

One tears government down, one builds it up. The libertarian solution is obvious.

Rael
11-30-2010, 07:09 PM
Where is all the Section 7 housing?

Fredom101
11-30-2010, 07:27 PM
I'm a hard core anarcho libertarian, but I have a section 8 tenant because it's literally the only person I could find to rent my house. I'm not gong to go broke over trying to stay principled. Me going broke does not change a damn thing about freedom in this country, so I say, take the money. It's definitely not the best option and I would choose a non-section 8 tenant in a heartbeat but I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Take the blood money and don't look back!

MozoVote
11-30-2010, 08:06 PM
If you browse landlord forums, they will generally conclude that Section 8 tenants are additional hassle, and you expose yourself to further risks by renting to them. Key examples being that your property must pass government inspection, and some of the local inspectors develop a real "Little Napoleon" attitude. If they gig you over something, and it's not fixed in time... no rent until it is.

If you're having problems with a Section 8 tenant and want to evict them, guess what? The government will pay the tenant's lawyer. HUD does not get involved in the disputes and will not help the landlord.

Section 8 usually pays close to, but not quite the same as, market rent. So you are trading away some of your liberty for *less* return.

The key reason landlords do it anyway, is that they figure a regular government check is easier than chasing deadbeats to pay on their own.

tremendoustie
11-30-2010, 08:56 PM
I'd try to avoid it, personally, if possible.

But, if you've paid more net taxes then you've gotten back, I think making up the difference is fair.

We all have to compromise. I mean, who doesn't drive on the roads? But, it's best to do what one can to avoid the state when possible.

ChaosControl
11-30-2010, 09:28 PM
I see no reason not to benefit from programs that are in existence.
Next year I'll be renting my place out and very well may end up renting to them.

Christianlibertarian
11-30-2010, 09:33 PM
I am a landlord and I do not accept Section 8 tenants even though I could get a lot more money. I also left my most recent job because they required me to accept state subsidized insurance in my counseling practice. Just my personal decision. It causes me to sleep better at night. There are good arguments the other way too.

Rancher
11-30-2010, 09:46 PM
If you refuse to rent to a section 8 tenant, can HUD cite you for equal opportunity housing violations?

MozoVote
11-30-2010, 09:53 PM
You can decline someone with a Section 8 voucher for any normal reason that you'd decline a possible tenant... bad credit, bad references, criminal history, lied on application, etc.

But you probably do open yourself up to fair housing "probes" by undercover agents. There really are such people. HUD is proud of it.

thorin
11-30-2010, 10:16 PM
There really are such people. HUD is proud of it.

I've encountered them. Best way to handle people is to say "I'm considering renting to you. Let me call you back and arrange a time to discuss it."

Then you never do and then block their phone number.

Rinse, repeat if they call back on another phone.

Ekrub
11-30-2010, 10:56 PM
If you refuse to rent to a section 8 tenant, can HUD cite you for equal opportunity housing violations?

Depends on the reason you decide not to rent to them. If it's a good reason (bad credit, bad rental history, bankruptcy, etc...) you'll be fine.

If not, watch out.

I've been an apartment manager going on 3 years now and my opinion of section 8 tenants is that for the most part they are good tenants. However you have to walk on egg shells when dealing with them and do things by the book, otherwise like an above poster said.... the government supplies them with a lawyer, and then you can be in big trouble. Even if you escape with minimal fines for a fair housing violation, that tenant can now be as disastrous as they want and there won't be a whole lot you can do.

BuddyRey
12-01-2010, 12:08 AM
Section 8 money is a far cry from welfare. You're providing a warm, dry place for somebody to live who desperately needs it. Though I strongly disagree with the government having any involvement in housing, I wouldn't feel nearly as slimy about accepting value-for-value and helping out the homeless at the same time as I would simply sponging money off of taxpayers and providing nothing in return.

tremendoustie
12-01-2010, 12:14 AM
Yeah, if you want to really be a hero, you could talk with the poor tenant and try to work out a reduced payment plan that they can afford -- do some charity on your part, to replace the government's forced "charity".

Christianlibertarian
12-01-2010, 09:07 AM
It's not that I "refuse" to accept Section 8 tenants, I simply do not advertize vacancies. I rent to people I know based only on word of mouth. I also provide reduced payments to people who I trust who would otherwise qualify for Section 8. I do counseling work based on a sliding scale (including pro bono) to people who cannot afford it but I will not accept government funding. I think that @tremendoustie is correct in saying that we should replace the government's "forced charity" with voluntary charity.

tremendoustie
12-01-2010, 09:30 AM
It's not that I "refuse" to accept Section 8 tenants, I simply do not advertize vacancies. I rent to people I know based only on word of mouth. I also provide reduced payments to people who I trust who would otherwise qualify for Section 8. I do counseling work based on a sliding scale (including pro bono) to people who cannot afford it but I will not accept government funding. I think that @tremendoustie is correct in saying that we should replace the government's "forced charity" with voluntary charity.

Yeah, these people need help -- we need to be the ones to help them, along with churches and other community organizations, rather than the government.

Thanks for that account CL, I'm glad to hear about what you're doing.

2young2vote
12-01-2010, 11:09 AM
It is fine. Do what Ron Paul does in Congress. Take what you can get, but don't become reliant on what you get.

kahless
12-01-2010, 11:26 AM
I might takes it as a way of getting something back from government for forcing me to pay outrageous property taxes. Although I never have in the past out of principle I am beginning to change my belief to get whatever I can from these bastards that have been stealing from me all these years and will not allow me to live free on my own property (through education-property taxes).