PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else disagree with that phrase, "The Government works for Us"?

ForeverAlone
11-29-2010, 07:48 PM
I hate it when people say that.

It assumes that I want to employ them. And it also assumes that since they work for me, I want to pay them.

I don't want them to work for me. I just want them to go away.

Just sayin'.

Dr.3D
11-29-2010, 08:09 PM
They are incorrect. What they should say is "The Government is supposed to work for us."

Most of the government hasn't been working for us for a long long time. If they actually did work for us, would we pay them more than we get paid? Most of those goons in the government shouldn't be paid more than the average citizen gets paid. The same goes with their benefits.

Seems your post is more of a rant than anything else. :) Thought I would add just a little of my own. :p

oyarde
11-29-2010, 08:11 PM

It assumes that I want to employ them. And it also assumes that since they work for me, I want to pay them.

Just sayin'.

If I employ them , I would like to fire a bunch and get a refund .

pcosmar
11-29-2010, 08:12 PM
First
Government doesn't work (not in it's present incarnation)
and secondly, It does not work for us. (it feeds off us)

MN Patriot
11-29-2010, 08:24 PM
I am bothered by people saying that, too. They never explicitly state exactly what the government is supposed to do for us. Most people have the notion that government will create employment, solve our problems, or whatever.

Realistically, government should efficiently administer public goods like roads and infrastructure that isn't easily privatized. (I know, "efficiently" and "government" don't belong in the same sentence.) A reasonable case can be made for regulating pollution, but the lefties have co-opted that function to destroy capitalism.

BuddyRey
11-29-2010, 08:26 PM
That's at least slightly better than the even more brainless statist canard, "we (the people) are the government."

Kludge
11-29-2010, 08:27 PM
Government is a slave which resented its position and eventually enslaved its masters.

Government was made to work for us. Now everyone works for the government.

jkr
11-29-2010, 09:56 PM
the..."govern mint"?

Romulus
11-29-2010, 11:14 PM
Thats right, WE work for THEM. That which we create to serve us, ends up owning us.

heavenlyboy34
11-29-2010, 11:15 PM

Just sayin'.

Yes, I've long disliked that cliche. I prefer to say that the gov'ment works against us.

heavenlyboy34
11-29-2010, 11:16 PM
That's at least slightly better than the even more brainless statist canard, "we (the people) are the government."

qft! That one always makes me laugh.